First 'Proper' Shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobert

I’m just after a bit of advice really, I’ve been shooting for a couple of years now, but have only ever shot clays at a friend’s shoot, ten people (ish) each time, all work the traps for each other etc etc.

Now, I’m tempted to go and enter a 100 bird sporting at a different shoot and I’m curious how it all works, i.e. what time to turn up, who operates the traps etc etc. so any advice would be appreciated so I don’t turn up looking like a numpty!

Good move!

there are lots of different shoots, some barely more organised than the one you have been doing. There are also some decent open shoots, which may have scorers on the stands. Then there are the CPSA registered shoots, which have scorers for sure, usually on each stand. Just turn up and buy an entry card. A few of these need pre-booking and a scorer will take you round the stands.

Where do you live? Where are your local shoots?

Is it a registered shoot you are going to, an open competition or a local club shoot?

If it's a Registered shoot, it's either just turn up at some point within the specified hours or if it's squaded you have to book in advance and turn up in plenty of time for the start time you are given.  You pay for your card and then there is a ref on each stand that buttons and scores.  You hand them your card before you shoot each stand.

Open competitions are similar.

If it's a local club these vary and are often self-buttoning / scoring.  If you turn up on your own they'll often try to put you in with a group so that you've got someone else to score and button when you shoot.

If you know the shoot you are going to let the forum know and someone may have been there and be in a position to give more specific details.

Edit to add: oops, cross posted with Will.  What he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
This particular shoot is at High View in Cornwall it’s CSPA registered so would I have to be a member to shoot?

I’m based in Plymouth so there are a few around, this is just the first one that I can get to.

Thanks for the quick replies, good to know it’s not too unusual to turn up alone!

Going alone is fine. You will meet people. No you don't have to be a CPSA member. Don't worry if you find it tough, you will learn at a great rate. 

You could also try Cart-Ridge on the Cornwall side of the Tamar one mile past Landrake turn left.

Here is the website and you can look up the fixtures list under the flat shooting tab

http://www.cart-ridge.co.uk/contact-us/

Here you get put into groups and go round as a group each taking turns to button and score the cards for the group.

Its a good ground with testing targets similar to a CPSA registered shoot.

Also have you been to Ashcombe near Teignmouth which also has targets of a similar difficulty to a CPSA registered shoot and you can practice there any day of the week for about £24 per 100 clays.

I've popped into cart ridge on a non shoot day, think I will try the good Friday shoot there as well. It's probably the closest to me. 

I've actually shot at ashcombe before but it seemed like you need to go in pairs as there was no one to operate the traps, I guess that was what put the doubt in my mind about shooting elsewhere on my own. 

Ashcombe now has the claymate system so you can certainly go on your own since December 2015 as you can set a 3 second delay on the targets after pressing the button.  You can always pm me if you want a shoot at Ashcombe as I live just down the road in Newton Abbot.

Thanks Robert, I will have to take you up on that offer at some point. 

Latest posts

Back