First proper lesson

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Selby

First proper 1-2-1 lesson tomorrow morning. Had a go before but was in a group and no real coaching (managed to break quite a few clays though but think it was beginners luck).

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

listen hard, relax and enjoy :) I dont know how much of a newbie you are, but if you have shot a bit, have an idea of what kind of targets you really struggle with so you can give the coach a bit of a clue and not waste precious time shooting stuff you can dust all week long.

Sit down when you get home with a glass of your favourite tipple and replay the session, I will guarantee that you will find things said in your lesson will make a lot of sense when you have time to sit and digest that maybe didnt register in the heat of shooting :)  

Thanks Fuz, I will do that. I am a real newbie but just hoping I can repeat my score from my first go and enjoy it as much.

What you score in your lesson is not important.

listen, don't be afraid to experiment and shoot out of your comfort zone, enjoy.

It is about how you apply what you learn and what you score next time out.

I am spending Thursday afternoon with Rob Eaton at Wylye to be taken around and shown how to tackle what is regarded as a difficult course as I shoot at a club which most would probably regard as a straw baler and the targets at Ashcombe, where I also go, don't change and I'm worried that I'm not getting better but just getting used to the same targets.  I have never yet shot a registered comp and this lesson is designed to be a prelude to that.  I have in mind what I struggle with but there will be lots of things that I have never yet experienced and more distant clays to shoot.  Never yet seen a battue or a rocket!

Yes vital to have a post lesson debrief with myself.  I am taking lots of cartridges and hope its going to be a nice day!

You will love Wylye Robert, 60yrd midis along the bank breaking will put a huge grin on anyones face :D

there is a reason so many off here make a long drive there on a Sunday...

First proper 1-2-1 lesson tomorrow morning. Had a go before but was in a group and no real coaching (managed to break quite a few clays though but think it was beginners luck).

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.
I hope you have a great time.

Remember, if anything doesn't feel right that you aren't stuck with this coach. It's one person and one person's opinion. Feel free to chop and change until you find someone you gel with. 

Thanks EHB. I only have one lesson booked with him, so will see how it goes. I live about 25 mins from Ian Coley's shooting school, so might try there also for some lessons. Went to have a look around on Monday and thought it looked great. Is it pricey compared to others though?

Ehb, Go girl you are on a roll, top advice again :) Wilf, Shaun at Ian Coleys is a top guy, you may find this out if you are shooting "the Growler"?

Thanks EHB. I only have one lesson booked with him, so will see how it goes. I live about 25 mins from Ian Coley's shooting school, so might try there also for some lessons. Went to have a look around on Monday and thought it looked great. Is it pricey compared to others though?
Don't just think price, think value. Price is very dependent on where you are. I think over here in the East shooting is cheaper so price per hour is a little less than out West, but I've had prices quoted from £25 per hour to £150 per hour. I'd say that market price here is £40-£50 per hour. If you can find a great coach for £70 rather than £35 then have lessons every other week/fortnight/month. Also consider how fast you want to progress. I've taken a lot of coaching in different sports in the last year and I find I need three hours of practice to every one hour of tuition to get the best return. If shooting had been more of a priority for me I would have had fortnightly lessons and been at gun club at least three times between lessons. When you look at the cost of hours of practice it seems better value to have £80 coach if you need less practice to make progress. Am I making sense? 

Ehb, Go girl you are on a roll, top advice again :)
TYVM. It's the benefit of my very recent experience :) One more newbie question and I'll be all out for a year until I learn more stuff. 

Wilfie, send me a PM, happy to take you around our ground and give you some tips as we go - FOC, then you can see what we really can offer - Shaun is a great coach and has a great following.

Looking forward to taking Wilfie round the ground this Saturday. Will also mention the Growler Challenge maybe he can meet up with some of the faces from the Forum..

Looking forward to taking Wilfie round the ground this Saturday. Will also mention the Growler Challenge maybe he can meet up with some of the faces from the Forum..
Thanks Phil.

Just been reading about the Growler Challenge....I would've definitely been up for it but I have to work that weekend - typical! Hopefully I can meet up with a few faces on here soon...

SGC application in the post, so fingers crossed it all goes through as soon as poss..can't wait to join you lot properly!

Back