First look at game shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannymac

Hi . I'm after advice on game shooting.  I've only started shooting this year clayshooting. I would like to have a go at game shooting. 

But from what I've seen advertised.  I can't afford it second mortgage ! 

Please can you give me some sensible ideas on how to start ?

I'm in the Swindon area

Cheers Danny 

Visit the guns on pegs website to pick up an individual Gun day. Save up your pennies, but before splashing your cash make sure your Shooting is good enough to nail your quarry cleanly. 

Hi . I'm after advice on game shooting.  I've only started shooting this year clayshooting. I would like to have a go at game shooting. 

But from what I've seen advertised.  I can't afford it second mortgage ! 

Please can you give me some sensible ideas on how to start ?

I'm in the Swindon area

Cheers Danny 
I’d suggest doing a few days beating as it will give you an understanding of what it’s all about and then joining the beaters day at end of season.  Walked up days and mini driven days aren’t too bad.

I’d suggest doing a few days beating as it will give you an understanding of what it’s all about and then joining the beaters day at end of season.  Walked up days and mini driven days aren’t too bad.
Have to agree with pp and there are quite a few shoots not that far from Swindon that you could approach to go and join the beating line then possibly have the invite to beaters day toward the end of the season 

Nearly all my days game shooting come from me working my dogs throughout the season. One shoot doesnt pay me for picking up so they allow me to shoot 3 or 4 days a season as a thank you and its well worth it. As PP says get out beating and you will get to shoot beaters day for free. On a large commercial shoot this can be a really spectacular driven day.

agree with all the above, its good advice and definitely the way to get into game.

Beating is a great day out. You want get rich doing it but once people get to know you it can lead to loads of other shooting and hunting invitations. 

As well as beaters days I've also had simulated game days, stalking and helped out with vermin control through beating.

Pigeon shooting is a lot cheaper and might be worth looking into.

Beating is a great day out. You want get rich doing it but once people get to know you it can lead to loads of other shooting and hunting invitations. 

As well as beaters days I've also had simulated game days, stalking and helped out with vermin control through beating.

Pigeon shooting is a lot cheaper and might be worth looking into.
bang on.

I only got into game two years ago after an invite to work my cocker at a friends syndicate shoot. The doors that this opened is quite phenomenal

9 years ago a friend at work asked me if I wanted to go beating on the shoot he was a syndicate member on.

I've been back every season since and made a lot of great friends.

See if you can find a local non for profit/diy shoot and beat for them. 

Then maybe a half gun or some days will open up  in the future.

These type of shoots are cheaper but it’s sometimes dead mans shoes waiting to buy a permanent gun.

There’s no overages, no tipping, you shoot with the same people and there’s a social side too. 

Latest posts

Back