Firing bottom barrel first? Is there any science behind it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie Wilkinson

Hi, Had a discussion recently regarding the benefits or not of shooting bottom barrel first, (None ported) to reduce muzzle flip. Interesting what others do / think, so though I chuck to out there to see.  My preference was always to shoot bottom barrel first, when I used to change chokes this meant I would select the choke for the first target to put into bottom barrel. Now I just shoot 1/2 1/2 but still use bottom barrel first.  

Well, the "Science" says that firing the bottom barrel first will give less upward muzzle flip as the recoil forces act in more of a straight line into the shoulder due to the geometry of the gun and the human anatomy.

We all (Sporters) will fire the other way around occasionally if we have a different choke in each barrel, but I can honestly say I've not noticed much difference, but I do shoot a ported gun and it fits me very well.  :biggrin:

good question and one (among many) I'd been ponderingbut haven't asked for fear of being threatened with a frying pan :biggrin:
:cigar:  
15830069-woman-beating-with-a-frying-pan-isolated-on-white.jpg

Hi, Had a discussion recently regarding the benefits or not of shooting bottom barrel first, (None ported) to reduce muzzle flip. Interesting what others do / think, so though I chuck to out there to see.  My preference was always to shoot bottom barrel first, when I used to change chokes this meant I would select the choke for the first target to put into bottom barrel. Now I just shoot 1/2 1/2 but still use bottom barrel first.  
Well you gotta shoot one of em first so take your pick ? Don't matter IMHO.

www.proshock.co.uk

I believe Perazzi trap guns used to fire the top barrel first (non-selectable trigger) but I could be wrong?

DT

or completely messing with peoples minds and wrecking their next shoot
Bryn, IMO all your questions are reasonable. It's just that you need to ask them after you have shot 20,000 shells or in 5 years, whichever occurs first..

My gun is set with slightly more open choke in bottom barrel & 1st clay is normally the closest of the 2.

One of the guys i shoot with is really a feathered friend shooter and he shoots top barrel first and says he doesnt notice any diffefence..

I believe Perazzi trap guns used to fire the top barrel first (non-selectable trigger) but I could be wrong?

DT
That would be the reverse of standard but may be so, either way it didn't catch on.......

Interestingly some single barrel trap guns have the top from an OU with normal rib modified foreend and some the bottom with with an extended rib and standard foreend obviously no second shot so flip isn't an issue but recoil still can be.....

Only of any importance if you're shooting the second barrel rapidly after the first.
Good point. But the answer is as given by No1TopDog. I often flip the barrel selector to suit some pairs, and agree what others have said, I've not really noticed that much difference. 

Always shoot top barrel first it's a pigeon shooting thing as can quickly drop another in top barrel to get another shot off!

DT
You are right Greg, there was a particular Perazzi that fired top first, not sure which model it was, but I did see one or two back in the 90's and the guns looked pretty well used so they could have been quite old. I guess Fred or perhaps Pete Harris will know what model it was.

Bottom barrel first for the reason of muzzle flip, perazzi's (selectable trigger variants) bottom barrel is 1, top barrel 2

It really depends what discipline you shoot. If you require a quick second shot then shooting bottom barrel is obviously more beneficial as the recoil is transmitted straight back into the shoulder reducing muzzle flip (as per an MG42). For anything other than that, apart from being a little more comfortable, it makes little difference.

Latest posts

Back