fast or slow

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mick

good points, when i was younger i didn't seem to have a problem focusing but now as you say little things seem to get in the way.

Firstly Ips, get well soon. Hope the back sorts itself out.

As far as you other point goes, I too have days like that when you feel really up for it, the targets look bigger and slower and you just can't seem to miss.

I don't think I'll ever be able to recreate that feeling at will though. It just happens, but not often enough for my liking. When you think of all the variables involved both mental and physical, you probably have to include dietary, muscle tension, temperature, weather or even some kind of spiritual changes (I'm not talking about chuchgoing spiritual).

On a different day but in the same squad as the Olympic final, would Peter Wilson win every time? Maybe not, maybe he would but nobody could predict it for sure. You just have to have that touch of magic at that moment to create the perfect result. The top shots have more magic moments than us, thats why they're at the top, but it doesn't happen every time even for them.   :biggrin:

Thanks, back is improving.

Yes your right whatever it is that happens it happens to top shooters more often, but why ?

Yes your right whatever it is that happens it happens to top shooters more often, but why ?
Well, that's simple.  Whatever it is that makes talent (genes, wiring, desire, training,etc) they have more of it than you do.  Just like driving F1 or MotoGP, if you don't have the basic level of required meat then you ain't gonna make it.  Just way simple.

happy to help   :hunter:

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought you looked a bit peaky as you were leaving yesterday. Hope it's ok soon.

Mick makes some good points. it's something that the US archery team members were stressing several years ago about being an important part of their preparation for national/international comps when the were winning everything.

I don't think that top shots have more "Magic" on a given day or not. Just is they shoot higher averages.

If you average 80 and shoot 70 it feels awful, if you shoot 90 it feels great. If an international shooter shoots an average of 95...well you can see where this is going.. Compared to most even if they shoot lousy, it still seems to most to be pretty good so you don't notice the off day.

Cheers Paul, much better now thanks.

That is a good point hadn't thought of it that way. So we only need to get our averages up. Easy peasy :)

Well, that's simple.  Whatever it is that makes talent (genes, wiring, desire, training,etc) they have more of it than you do.  Just like driving F1 or MotoGP, if you don't have the basic level of required meat then you ain't gonna make it.  Just way simple.

happy to help   :hunter:

Charlie
Regarding top performers at Moto Gp, I read Casey Stoners auto-bio at Xmas. As with any book in that genre, the early years are the most interesting. He talks, over & over, about spending every spare second of his early life riding dirt track bikes. Every day, all day, until the tank ran dry, then beg his dad to re-fill, then off again. When he started racing, he finished last in his first races, and moved up the pecking order over a few months until he was winning his classes. Never stopped winning up until he retired at the end of 2012 season.

His was an example of the "10,000" hour rule, I think there is another thread dedicated to it on here. Commentators always said "hes the most naturally talented" or things to that effect, like he was born to race 250 bhp bikes. But really the thousands of hours he put in back on various farms and dirt tracks in Oz have alot more to do with it. And the mental strength and belief (& right support) to keep getting back up when you have a bad day.

All the 10000hr rules really means is that in that amount of time you'll max whatever abilities you have.  Not that you'll be wonderful.

If you don't have the ingredients to be wonderful, you never will be.  I could spend every waking moment studying and I'll never be a theoretical physicist.  I could ride a bike from dawn to dusk for years and never win the TDF.  I could shoot 10K targets a day and never make the Olympic team.  

There are inherent limits to the meat and electronics.  

and that's just the way it is

Regarding top performers at Moto Gp, I read Casey Stoners auto-bio at Xmas. As with any book in that genre, the early years are the most interesting. He talks, over & over, about spending every spare second of his early life riding dirt track bikes. Every day, all day, until the tank ran dry, then beg his dad to re-fill, then off again. When he started racing, he finished last in his first races, and moved up the pecking order over a few months until he was winning his classes. Never stopped winning up until he retired at the end of 2012 season.

His was an example of the "10,000" hour rule, I think there is another thread dedicated to it on here. Commentators always said "hes the most naturally talented" or things to that effect, like he was born to race 250 bhp bikes. But really the thousands of hours he put in back on various farms and dirt tracks in Oz have alot more to do with it. And the mental strength and belief (& right support) to keep getting back up when you have a bad day.
That 10,000 hrs is a crock Marc Marquez is testament to that and he is the reason that Stacey Moaner pissed off to catch fish and hmm try something else which incidentally he was P### at!

edit

also he never stopped winning until he retired hmm. he won two world championships riding the very best bikes on the grid at the time when pushed he well ... fell off inexplicably even on a Honda!

You sound like a soccer fan!

Such an ignorant poi though. Would have expected more from you John. Were you at Donnington 2008 by any chance, with all the other... fans?

What exactly does MM have to do with Casey retiring?

., In what universe was the Ducati ever the best bike on the grid? How many other Ducati victories did all the other Duke riders take from 07 right up until now? (Hmm, maybe Capirex took one, in 07?)

(I recall Stoner winning more races during his time in GP (2006-12) than any other racer, including Lorenzo, Pedrosa & Rossi. Thats a fact btw, not an opinion.. Like everything in your comment, Just saying...)

nothing like a little thread drift

So does ManUtd have enough time left in the Barkleys to catch Arsenal.  Hard to believe that Manchester City will have legs enough to maintain.  Arsenal winning would be just fine (gotta love a team with a cannon for a logo) and I'd be way happy if Everton can stay ahead of ManUtd.

You sound like a soccer fan!

Such an ignorant poi though. Would have expected more from you John. Were you at Donnington 2008 by any chance, with all the other... fans?

What exactly does MM have to do with Casey retiring?

., In what universe was the Ducati ever the best bike on the grid? How many other Ducati victories did all the other Duke riders take from 07 right up until now? (Hmm, maybe Capirex took one, in 07?)

(I recall Stoner winning more races during his time in GP (2006-12) than any other racer, including Lorenzo, Pedrosa & Rossi. Thats a fact btw, not an opinion.. Like everything in your comment, Just saying...)
Bob1John is obviously a Rossi fan, most of whom still have not come to terms that another rider would have the audacity to beat there man (albeit on a far superior bike! - cough!) and then that when their man finally got he way and rode said superior bike that all of a sudden it was a bag of sh1te. The fact that he is now on the same bike as Lorenzo and still can't win a race must be really difficult to take. What next, put him on a Honda as it is obviously a better bike than the MT01?

Don't get me wrong, Rossi is a legend and I am a big fan but to just dismiss all of Stoner's achievements on a bike which nobody else could ride competitively is just plain pathetic, as is the name calling! Stoner also stepped on a bike that had been ridden by Pedrosa for years and consistently beat him in both qualifying and the races and to suggest that Stoner retired because MM was coming to MotoGP is ridiculous.

Some people need to remove their Rossi tinted glasses and look at the facts!

DT

Popcorn....!!

Thread drift boys......just saying :laugh:

Various handbags are deposited in the shootclay bar.....

Choose wisely....some have bricks in them just to make it interesting...!!

Apologies for my part in the thread drift (like it doesnt happen all the time here!).

I was trying to use a top competitor from another sport as an example, to make the point that its hours spent training in the right way as much as natural aptitude that will bring you consistently to the top, IMO. (I dont know anything about any top shooter, or their training methods or past, so couldn't talk about them.)

Johns comment was the one that led the thread toward "Troll valley", and I guess I followed him down there a bit, so apologies for that.

Johns comment was the one that led the thread toward "Troll valley", and I guess I followed him down there a bit, so apologies for that.

Look guys I don't want to go down that road but where at all have I said that Stoner is not good at what he did ? Casey Stoner was / is a brilliant rider

I have said that Stoner went off to do something else that it has transpired is not very good at :) I am not a Rossi fan I have watched moto gp for years and admire all great riders of which Stoner was/is one!

My reference to MM being one of the reasons Stoner left moto GP I stand by Stoner does not like close proximity racing and that is what he, MM, does, they were warning the poor guy off before he even turned a wheel in moto gp that is how desperate they were to keep him at bay... did not work did it although they did all in their power and by they I mean all the established riders. Stoner left moto gp at the end of 2012 ... nobody noticed he had gone!

Now DT here is a question for you . How many times did Stoner fail to finish a race through falling in 2007 ? How many times did he fall in subsequent years ?? Yes if you have engaged brain yer right in 2007 the tyres Ducati used were made for that machine and that machine it had a huge advantage over they other bikes it was much faster and it had the all important tyres anybody who does not recognise that know zilch about moto gp! Only there after in 2008 they were made for Rossi and the year after that for all bikes changing in every year, not to the benefit of Ducati or Stoner. The tyres are one of the most important things in moto gp or any motorcycle sport and the fact is the tyres do not suit the Ducati that was a disadvantage for Stoner and it showed he fell for apparently no reason in many races. The reason Stoner won less and fell more often was because of the tyres not him or the bike and indeed the problem still exists... if I am not mistaken Dovi was going to show Rossi where he was going wrong!

Rossi did not do well on the Ducati but he did not fail to finish through falling too often... he is not that daft he knew the bike was dangerous... strangely enough so does Dovi :)

I take my hat of to Stoner winning so many races on the Ducati but not the ones he won in 2007 the ones thereafter when he was racing guys who had the tyres and speed to match him !

anyway thanks for your time and enjoy your evening.

Edit sorry for remaining off topic!

It's alright.....I have forgotten what the thread is now as well.....

Back