Eye Dominance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cross-dominant so either eye can be in charge and I have no control over it.  The brain uses the dominant eye as the primary data source and supplements that with info from the other eye to judge distance etc.  I'm right handed and have to shoot with my left eye closed - over time I've evolved it to finding the target with both eyes open and close the left to take the shot.

Cross dominance is surprisingly common too.   One of the better things I've spent £300 on was a mega comprehensive eye test with Ed Lyons https://www.ed-lyons.com/, not cheap but well worth it, this is far removed from an eye test in the high street and orientated towards the needs of a shooter. Recommended.

As a result of reading this thread checked a few things. I am right handed but mounted my gun in the standard right hand manner and also mounted my gun left handed. On both occasions I then focused on a distant target about 30 yards away. But on both occasions I could also see two barrels and two end beads. 

Anyone know what's going on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal to see a double image of something close in (except for those with near-sightedness). By concentrating on the clay, the brain will gradually lose interest in seeing any close detail. It's only necessary to be aware of the barrels and where they're pointing. There have been numerous experiments over the years demonstrating the brain's ability to be selective, through repetitive practice, in what it includes or excludes in the image you actually see. That's how people can train themselves to overcome cross dominance. Cross dominance is where the dominant eye is the opposite side from handedness. There is also central dominance which is much more rare.

Many people think the eye works like a camera which is partly true, but the eye has special characteristics far in excess of anything a camera could ever do. It helps with interpreting eye dominance and vision issues generally if you understand how the eye works and what data is available for processing in the brain.

It's all out there on the net. 

Well I shoot both eyes open, however I’m often reliably informed that I probably close both eyes for much of the time. 😂

As a result of reading this thread checked a few things. I am right handed but mounted my gun in the standard right hand manner and also mounted my gun left handed. On both occasions I then focused on a distant target about 30 yards away. But on both occasions I could also see two barrels and two end beads. 

You’ll see loads of people with a little dot of tape or similar on their shooting glasses . This is something you can try .  If you get someone to put a sticky spot on the lens of your left eye whilst you have the gun correctly mounted ,  placed in a position so you find the barrel becomes single . In place you’ll find it’s quite high up the lens when you look about with the gun unmounted . You can see the target both eyes . Gun  in the shoulder , face to wood , you’ll not get vision shifting as you take the shot  .  You can get purpose made obscuring dots on eBay for about £10 a bucket load ! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of the lucky ones, right handed , right eyed, both eyes open all the time

And that's where your dominant eye takes over - choosing the correct barrel and end bead. Left eyed people would look along the wrong barrel & bead of the two images

A very complex subject and the debate could go on for a long time without being correctly resolved , interestingly try acquiring the target with both eyes open from gun down , often you find you will have no eye dominance . Then try gun up and because of the time and concentration, often the eye looking down the barrel can be overcome by the 'off eye' causing a focal shift to the 'off'  shoulder.

That's because the gun gets in the way and partially occludes vision from the dominant eye, resulting in the non dominant eye taking over. The brain needs to be trained to ignore the 'wrong' barrel image by repetitive gun mounting practice.

Our much missed friend Hamster explained it quite well.

Both eyes most definitely open

The only thing I'm in denial about is a personal matter that fortunately does not involve the eyes

As far back as I can remember I've never been able to close one eye without partly squinting the other one, so it has to be two eyes for me and I'm not overly bothered what my dominance is.
Out of curiosity what class are you in?
In 2021
In 2023

Left eye dominant right handed. I find I have no trouble with fast crossers as the swing takes car of the aim. It's the dead straight going away that is the issue. If I don't shut my left eye I miss down the side.
I have further complication in that sometime I don't have a dominant eye and then I just see two barrels and two targets

One thing you could try is to tape a small piece card about 3" long 1/2" wide strategically taped to just protude above the top barrel to blot your eye out, this will work and you don’t need glasses with spots on them.

That's an interesting question, but a bit like asking someone how much they earn
Just curious, the bit about not being bothered what eye dominance he has!
If he’s AA/AAA and he’s got some secret I don’t know about 😜
Or maybe just shoots non comps

Having returned to shooting after about 40 years, I soon became aware that I am left eye dominant. I am right handed but tried shooting left handed, with a fairly neutral gun, found it pretty easy and hit more clays. Got myself a gun, had it fitted and have not looked back. It soon becomes natural to shoot left handed, but a little more time to get used to breaking the gun and loading etc. Personally, I think it's much easier to change hands than it is to deal with cross dominance, closing one eye, Vaseline on glasses, barrel appendages, etc. It was also a good opportunity to get some coaching in order to avoid developing limiting habits that I probably had shooting right handed.

1 optical occlusion dot placed on shooting specs in the right place is all that is needed . Well that and good , consistent gun mount . With a dot on your specs you still have unimpeded binocular vision until your cheek is on the stock at the time you pull the trigger . Great if you’re missing up one side on high driven or straight away targets .

https://www.redkitegunproducts.co.u...on-patches-red-kite-x10-dot-5060222722031-md2

This should help.

shotgunnirvana.blogspot.com/2021/09/eye-dominance-and-subconscious-mind-in.html

Back