Expectation

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake.keeling

Yep chasing a number is pretty fatal; just do it a shoot at a time.

Fingers crossed I'll make C class next year. Ed Solomons.

This post by Ed on another thread confirms something I learnt a long time ago but still struggle with. That is, having an expectation of how you are going to do, can be the single most fatal mental mistake. It's hard to forget especially when it's a certain score you need to hit for say qualification, something I have to do in DT a lot. Its different from confidence, which is a good thing as long as it doesn't contain the above.

What's your thoughts on this? I have a feeling this might turn into an old thread of mine about hitting one at a time!

I am with your all the way here because even when really focused and shooting well....towards the end you cannot help a thought that comes from no where saying....'wow I am on for a straight here'....fatal.

I have stopped worrying about this now and allow all the bad thoughts which you cannot always stop to happen during 'the walk' between shots. If your mental routine is rock solid.....when you get on the peg and start your set up....nothing....should interfere with it.

But if it does, you must stop!! And start again, centre yourself and start again.

My penny worth....for what it is worth......as I sit here in bed considering going to ping OT at Rich's...even though the light is bad....but I have serious withdrawal symptoms....so yes I am off pinging....!!

Nicola, Yes you definitely learn to just let the thoughts come and go because its impossible to block them. I do a similar thing to you when I get on pad or it's my turn to shoot etc, I just tell myself they are just thoughts, your routine is solid, just do this and that's all that matters, I have a bit of a keyword I sometimes use aswell. Not best description but I'm sure you'll understand.

Yes my very short key word is just after a second shot if it is needed.....and begins with F or B (wink)

I used to look at my score card as i was going round, looking at the score adding it up,thinking i need to shoot so and so just to get a half decent average, i need to start shooting straights..... fatal, also as Nicola says on for a straight..... fatal.

Now i just go round shoot and add up right at the end.My scores are slowly going up (some sh*te scores now and then).

Less pressure on yourself worrying about your score and more enjoyable.

Surprising as well when you think you have shot crap and there is a half decent score at the end.(sometimes even a brown envelope)

Don't chase numbers just shoot.

I also don't look at my scorecard until I'm finished now - I used to, and found it did more damage than good.

I also have stopped chasing straights, I want them, but I have found that my best scores (74, 76, 78) have been without any, or maybe just one straightened stand. On those cards I have generally been around average % for each stand.

I find not looking at cards, and not thinking about overall scores means I enjoy the shooting more.

After years of counting my card a year or so ago i stopped, improving my atitude no end. You will always have a rough idea in your head, but i always try to put it at the back of my mind. Nothing worse than going onto the last few stands with a score in your head ie. i need a straight for 87 or 90 etc. as you are bound to miss, besides its just another thing to concentrate on. Go into every stand and try to shoot to the best of your ability, and treat every stand seperate from the last. For ages i was trying to break a 90 score, with the score in my head on the last stand - usually resulted in 89/88!

If negative thoughts creep in I stop, gun down, start again and say Nipples to myself... Long story but it works for me ..

Build a score never chase a score.....just saying..!!

another tip if your a counter is count up not down. That is, if you miss your 10th target don't say oh I'm on for a 24. Say I've hit 9 out of 10!

never have looked at my scores on the way round never will, and when Im shooting Fitasc I always walk away from the final hoop and get as far away from the ref as he announces the scores of that parcour, may seem a bit rude but counting scores ruins the enjoyment for me

you have a feeling of how your shooting anyway, I just go with that :)

I always seem to shoot better if I lack the expectation of doing well, if I turn up and it's raining hard or blowing a gale I often think that I'm not going to shoot particularly well but often hit a decent score. Then if I feel that everything is perfect to hit the big numbers and really put in the effort it usually all goes to S##t !!

When you've finished they tell you if you've won..

Had a long chat with Tanya Faulds on just this subject last week, very difficult to condense it onto a forum but the idea was always keep score when practicing (something which I never do) then chasing a score becomes second nature and you are not actually chasing it, you are achieving a goal if that makes any sense???????? Turning a negative to a positive.

There's a formula for the cartridge throwers: Self esteem = Achievement divided by Expectation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back