Excessively noisy cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously? The obvious solution is to have no cartridges allowed and simply a spring loaded flag that pops out displaying bang! on a red flag... of course for those who simple cannot stand the sight of implied noise and desire a low recoil flag, flags in beige will available together with the bang! being in lower case and of course with out the exclaimation mark. A judge tells you is the traget was broken or not.
With my supa-dupa new hearing aids even THAT would be unbearable.  They are so good I was put off by a squirrel passing wind in a nearby tree,  just a shame i am still unable to hear someone standing next to me  !

A gentleman I know in Texas had his mega$ hearing aids adjusted so that the frequency range that his wife's voice fell in was suppressed.  He was quite happy with the adjustment.

With my supa-dupa new hearing aids even THAT would be unbearable.  They are so good I was put off by a squirrel passing wind in a nearby tree,  just a shame i am still unable to hear someone standing next to me  !
As long as you pick westleys good side he can hear you fine, trouble is i keep forgetting which side it is 😀

I haven't shot FBlacks for two years or more so can't comment on whether the company has changed the recipe to reduce noise/recoil but yesterday I spent a full day scoring at JBD Sporting and can tell you there was a marked difference of noise when certain people stepped up to shoot using them (they could have been Black Golds as I didn't have the time to look really carefully but I kinda doubt it). 

An interesting observation was that when you're exposed to long periods of watching people shoot without having to think/worry about your own shooting, it becomes even easier to detect flaws/mistakes and general differences in peoples shooting styles, amazingly "flaws" don't automatically prevent them from scoring well on the stands 😶 .

I went home with a stonking headache despite not even shooting (so recoil alone is not the cause), several factors combined would have caused it, close proximity to noise (which we can avoid when shooting ourselves - bear in mind I wear moulds as well as ear muffs !), it was sunny all day which I hate (even the hat didn't help me and wife said I'd picked a slight extra tan), the concentration needed in making sure you give everyone the same tempo and score them accurately, (I did make one or two errors including early and late release but gave both shooters pair again), in JBD's case the shooters are always squadded so a scorer's job is that much harder having to keep adapting to changing the button sequences on various stands (these often have very different mechanical characteristics too 😣 ), lastly the actual score boards we carried combined with having to hold two separate buttons meant such a seemingly simple job as pressing a couple of buttons and then writing the score down was at times really fiddly (I discovered muscles in my neck/arms I had no idea I had). 

Re-found respect for all you regular scores people out there, I salute your efforts for the shooters enjoyment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It gets even better when some plonker and his 'hangers on' want to dispute your eyesight or even your parentage  !

I haven't shot FBlacks for two years or more so can't comment on whether the company has changed the recipe to reduce noise/recoil but yesterday I spent a full day scoring at JBD Sporting and can tell you there was a marked difference of noise when certain people stepped up to shoot using them (they could have been Black Golds as I didn't have the time to look really carefully but I kinda doubt it). 

An interesting observation was that when you're exposed to long periods of watching people shoot without having to think/worry about your own shooting, it becomes even easier to detect flaws/mistakes and general differences in peoples shooting styles, amazingly "flaws" don't automatically prevent them from scoring well on the stands 😶 .

I went home with a stonking headache despite not even shooting (so recoil alone is not the cause), several factors combined would have caused it, close proximity to noise (which we can avoid when shooting ourselves - bear in mind I wear moulds as well as ear muffs !), it was sunny all day which I hate (even the hat didn't help me and wife said I'd picked a slight extra tan), the concentration needed in making sure you give everyone the same tempo and score them accurately, (I did make one or two errors including early and late release but gave both shooters pair again), in JBD's case the shooters are always squadded so a scorer's job is that much harder having to keep adapting to changing the button sequences on various stands (these often have very different mechanical characteristics too 😣 ), lastly the actual score boards we carried combined with having to hold two separate buttons meant such a seemingly simple job as pressing a couple of buttons and then writing the score down was at times really fiddly (I discovered muscles in my neck/arms I had no idea I had). 

Re-found respect for all you regular scores people out there, I salute your efforts for the shooters enjoyment. 
Only two buttons hamster..... you should try reffing fitasc where you can have up to six buttons to contend with, and then multiple combinations for the doubles AND you have to move for left handed shooters AND you have to monitor the gun position AND you have to watch the clay throughout its flight AND oh my head hurts...... why am I a ref ?????

Wynno , you forgot to mention that we must also check to see if he moves before he sees the clay !😂🤣😄😂

Back