Err the wheels have come off....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growl

Well, just put in my worst performance for about 30 years!

shot at Oakedge today and managed a massive 45 ex 100, am I just trying to change too many things at once? do I |need a coach - anyone know a good un in Staffs?

I used to shoot fairly competitively many moons ago - to the point of just about breaking even on shoot costs from winnings (this was as I say MANY moons ago!)

my choice of iron was either my 27" Nikko skeet (SK-SK) or my trusty 30" Nikko trap (3/4-F)

I started up again about a year ago and was managing about 80+% which I was pretty happy with, I had a bad bike smash this Easter and decided that as my boss (wife) had now banned me from motorbikes I would use some of the funds to update my ageing guns, I promptly brought an Ultra XS 30", once I had stopped playing with the adjustable stock I once again got towards the 80% mark (though for some reason I can no longer seem to hit driven clays - these have never given me any probs with the old irons!)

Today (while recovering from flu - yes - yes MAN flu) I decided to do things by the book and wear both ear and eye protection, I have never before used them, I know my wrists should be slapped but my ears are good and so are my eyes, but I was thinking of the future and know I should use them - especially if I hope to enter comps again.

so any thoughts? am I

• trying too hard
  • was it the flu
  • should I sell the XS
  • was it the ear/eye protection
  • am i just cr*p
  • should I get another bike bike (and probably a divorce!)
  • will a good coaching session help

all suggestions gratfully received, I'm off to drown my sorrows with a bloody good red, thanks all for putting up with my ravings, cheers to everyone, atb, Gra :cool:

Not feeling well will certainly affect your shooting so there's one possibility.

Try again when you have recovered.

Wearing glasses for the first time may have not helped.

They must be optically correct which generally means that they should not be cheap stuff.

Initially use clear lenses until you get used to proper shooting glasses.

Don't change or sell the XS,you have shot well with it in the past.

My choice would be to buy another bike and take my chances !!! :wink: :wink:

Vic.

Sounds to me like you're changing a lot at once and expecting everything to carry on as normal.

I've had a few off spells this year and a couple of good lessons have really started to get my head back together.

If you've been hitting 80%+ you're not cr*p, maybe you just need to take a step back and go back to basics with your pre shot routine and build things back up.

If you're looking for a lesson or two I can heartily recommend Mr Solomons who's helped me considerably, and (unless I've driven him nuts already) will hopefully continue to do so!

Iggy.

Cheers Vic

Glasses are good, possible not quite a good as the one in my hand at present!

I will drag myself out again when well and dust a few, may try some coaching as well, my bugbear with the xs just seems to be the high driven birds which I never found a problem in the past.

Still gotta keep trying, cheers again, Gra

Sounds to me like you're changing a lot at once and expecting everything to carry on as normal.

I've had a few off spells this year and a couple of good lessons have really started to get my head back together.

If you've been hitting 80%+ you're not cr*p, maybe you just need to take a step back and go back to basics with your pre shot routine and build things back up.

If you're looking for a lesson or two I can heartily recommend Mr Solomons who's helped me considerably, and (unless I've driven him nuts already) will hopefully continue to do so!

Iggy.
Thanks Iggy, do you have any contact details for Mr Solomons, regards, Graham.

No problem at all.

Just drop him a PM he's on here - Ed Solomons.

There's a lot of similarity between what you're doing now and what I was doing, but Ed took me back to basics and I'm really feeling the benefit. The crucial thing is remembering what he's taught you and religiously sticking to it every time you shoot.

All the best,

Iggy.

feeling ill (flu etc) will hit you for six score wise,been there done that and got several T shirts,think i,ll be ok but you really can,t perform anywhere near your best,and to be honest shugborough wasn,t an easy shoot today,i was there and it was certainly the toughest shoot i,ve shot there in the last 4 years,was a very good shoot though in my opinion,hope they put some more on like that as it,s a lovelly ground. I,d get over your flu and give Edd a call

We have all been there. All of your thoughts are probably valid apart from 5 and 6 but 3 is possible. Next shoot is a different day

I think it was Ralf Schumacher who said he'd eat his shirt if Nige was any where near the pace when there was talk of a short come back stint for him a decade or more ago !!

What I'm trying to say is that coming back from in your own words many moons ago, and recapturing the old magic quickly is a big ask. In my view targets are a bit more technical than before, plus if you recall we used to shoot 32g shells through those skeet choked Nikko's at closer ranges compared to now.

You have the basics so my advice would be to go with the flow for a few months, get to know the routine again and try and gel with a gun and ammo combo you like. Meanwhile you're bound to build on your past skills and get better all the time. Don't let the bad stands or days get you down, instead pat yourself on the back when you get it right. You need to re-hone your rhythm and boost your confidence. I bet the incomers thing is easily curable, remember your tempo and reflexes were different back then so you just need to make adjustments.

No problem at all.

Just drop him a PM he's on here - Ed Solomons.

There's a lot of similarity between what you're doing now and what I was doing, but Ed took me back to basics and I'm really feeling the benefit. The crucial thing is remembering what he's taught you and religiously sticking to it every time you shoot.

All the best,

Iggy.

feeling ill (flu etc) will hit you for six score wise,been there done that and got several T shirts,think i,ll be ok but you really can,t perform anywhere near your best,and to be honest shugborough wasn,t an easy shoot today,i was there and it was certainly the toughest shoot i,ve shot there in the last 4 years,was a very good shoot though in my opinion,hope they put some more on like that as it,s a lovelly ground. I,d get over your flu and give Edd a call
Thanks for the reply. I'll call Ed.

Sound advice Hamster, cheers, have reflected a bit now and chilled with the help of a very smooth red, back in the real world now and looking forward to the next shoot with the flu sorted too. Cheers all, Gra.

Growl. Try Brian who runs Oakedge for a few lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Growl, I would second Brian at Oakedge, he's local and good.

But frankly I think you were just suffering from flu and lack of confidence. Have a think about it identify your weaknesses and concentrate on improving in that area, stick a few practice shells down the barrel with success to build up the confidence and then go for it.

I have rang Brian, he is poorly, I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he gets back to full health soon, I will book in with another instructor after I get back from a weekend away fishing - means I will miss Oakedge this Sunday but good shooting to all going, thanks for the tips and support, Graham.

I have rang Brian, he is poorly, I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he gets back to full health soon, I will book in with another instructor after I get back from a weekend away fishing - means I will miss Oakedge this Sunday but good shooting to all going, thanks for the tips and support, Graham.
If your from shropshire you,ll not be too far from fauxdegla where Brian clegg teaches,he,s another very good instructor, if you want his number pm me,he is on here under a name i can,t remember ,something like boozondogabad,look under members

If your from Shropshire you,ll not be too far from Fauxdegla where Brian clegg teaches,he,s another very good instructor, if you want his number pm me,he is on here under a name i can,t remember ,something like boozondogabad,look under members
Brian is first class, just check out his credentials, you can contact him via. his website http://www.clayshootingcoach.com/ give him a call, you wont be disappointed.

Potter

Latest posts

Back