Edge on nutter bunnies (Rabbits)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_B

Blimey just got back from a practice round with 2 x Muller U1 chokes in and temporarily met my new nemesis, hard edge on nutter bunnies. With 28g 7.5s in the U1s have been smoking things including edge on targets up to 45 yards, but today, those hard edged Rabbits sailed right through the centre of the pattern at 20 yards. In short, what a kxxb, Mullers are good but don't do miracles, and how I wish I had read this from Mr Muller himself.

"On Rabbits showing full face:
U0 inside 20 yards
U1 inside 30
U2 inside 40
U3 inside 55
U4 beyond

Quartering approx 45 degrees or Half Face:
go tighter by one choke from listed above on full face.
U1 inside 20
U2 inside 30
U3 inside 40
U4 beyond

On Edge Rabbit: 7.5's ONLY
U2 inside 20 yards
U3 inside 30 yards
U4 anything beyond 30"

At 20yds I find it hard to believe you'd miss every single one because of it. Did you change choke and nail it?

At a guess I would say your misreading what you think is happening if you see the rabbit seem to go through the pattern check out Chris Batha on youtube and he will explain all. :nyam:   Or wait and Mr Solomons might explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot the stand twice, hitting 6/10 Rabbits, 1 total miss due to my error, the rest bang on (3) but the bunny sailed right through. This Isn't a debate, just saying, if im happy with 60% I'll keep them in. But I'm not. Its a U2 from now on.

Have been using Mullers since they first arrived in Blighty and I can say without a doubt I can still dust clays at 60 yards even with a number 1 tis nothing to do with the choke its just you missing. true story...

Good piece on bunnies in this months freebie clay shooter mag from Richard, advice for this target is "choke up and load 6.5's"  Simples :)

Edge on bunnies like Steve said are horrible, you are shooting at a very small target area AND you are shooting at the clays strongest point as these are designed to run along hard ground so not tend to break easily. Depending on what shell you were using, I would have choked up to at least 3/4 or even full when using 7.5's or stick some 6.5's in your bag.

Edge on bunnies like Steve said are horrible, you are shooting at a very small target area AND you are shooting at the clays strongest point as these are designed to run along hard ground so not tend to break easily. Depending on what shell you were using, I would have choked up to at least 3/4 or even full when using 7.5's or stick some 6.5's in your bag.
+++1

Yorky.....not sure how long you have been shooting....but....

Rabbit clays are totally different to an ordinary clay. They are a lot tougher to break. Next time you are at a ground, ask to see one to compare with a normal clay.

The 'edge on rabbit' it the worst nightmare. Choke up......just saying.

Inside 30 yards if you're missing edge on rabbits it's because you've choked :twitch:  , true it is a very hard target physically and technically but I bet you anything the man with the right tempo will break all five with an open choke and 8's (again inside 30 yards).

The trouble with them is over leading them, if they have even the slightest angle to them it is extremely easy to flash through and miss in front, if they're straightaways you can easily go over the top. One trick is to time your shot just before you reach them, deliberately shoot before you even get to them in other words with a moving gun of course. Result is very often destroyed targets, then the next one is a chip because you forget and shoot at them (in front) the next one is a miss because you forget to shoot behind them :D  . Straight aways need to be shot the same way, fire at the back feet with a moving tempo. 

Rabbits are hard to break and slow, our tempo is geared towards much faster air borne clays so we apply the same basics to edge on rabbits which causes misses in front. Shoot very slightly behind edge on's, in reality you won't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside 30 yards if you're missing edge on rabbits it's because you've choked :twitch:  , true it is a very hard target physically and technically but I bet you anything the man with the right tempo will break all five with an open choke and 8's (again inside 30 yards).

The trouble with them is over leading them, if they have even the slightest angle to them it is extremely easy to flash through and miss in front, if they're straightaways you can easily go over the top. One trick is to time your shot just before you reach them, deliberately shoot before you even get to them in other words with a moving gun of course. Result is very often destroyed targets, then the next one is a chip because you forget and shoot at them (in front) the next one is a miss because you forget to shoot behind them :D  . Straight aways need to be shot the same way, fire at the back feet with a moving tempo. 

Rabbits are hard to break and slow, our tempo is geared towards much faster air borne clays so we apply the same basics to edge on rabbits which causes misses in front. Shoot very slightly behind edge on's, in reality you won't be.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think that is a very personal approach to this target.

I totally understand what you are saying but you are assuming a swing through method was used. If the original poster shoots at them in that way, fair enough, otherwise your post might be misleading in the most literal sense.

Again please don't take it personally as I am well aware of how good you are.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit.

Here's the article from Richard, pictures as well :)

post-64-0-74860300-1375605792.jpg

post-64-0-34157300-1375605836.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130804_001.jpg
    WP_20130804_001.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20130804_002.jpg
    WP_20130804_002.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 0
Ruddy ell all sounds a tad complicated to a trap shooter. Wondering what folk did before multi choke when confronted with such targets was it a case of just shoot at the thing or different cartridges ?

As said before, rabbits are harder to break.

Clearing up after a local hay baler we found quite a few clays that were still in one piece, but had holes in them.

Can they really be 'that' hard to break?

I can understand how they may not break if caught by the edge of the pattern, but I would have thought if you were on them, even with 7.5's or 8's and an open choke they should break?

No expert, so could be completely wrong of course.

Edge on fairly hard to break as there designed to be like that I've shot a few where it appears to be in the middle of my pattern and it rolls on...seen it countless times wait and see if it turns and offers any face then shoot it.

Back