Ear muffs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have sussed why my old Sordins started playing up.. having put batteries in the new pair (with a little difficulty) I realised that my old ones had lost tension on the connection for the lower battery. I just tweaked the terminal arm with a little hook. They seem to be perfect now. Might have been using them for another 15 years if I had sussed that earlier.. D’oh!

Right. Shot using the new Swatcoms today. Actually badged as EJ Churchill as that’s where I bought them. But the EJC stickers were poorly attached so I removed them. I’m the guy in the completely bare carbon Swatcoms if you’re looking for me..

Anyway, they are the same as Sordins in most respects. They felt a bit tighter on my head but that’s likely just because they aren’t 15 years old. The big difference is the electronics which provide very crisp buttons and very good sound indeed. Sounds like you’re not wearing headphones. Gun shot noise is controlled perfectly.

That’s where I have one gripe. On the lowest volume setting it’s at least as clear and loud as normal sound level, so you can’t have lower than “real” volume. I could hear my cartridges clink as they were placed in the gun and every bit of speech behind me. I had to turn them off while actually shooting. 
Would be interesting to try them side by side. The sound quality doesn't sound any different from my recently bought supreme X pro's. I can hear the pellets move inside my shells when taking them from my pocket.

Would be interesting to try them side by side. The sound quality doesn't sound any different from my recently bought supreme X pro's. I can hear the pellets move inside my shells when taking them from my pocket.
Mine were old, so prob inferior electronics to latest Sordins. I thought no longer made? May have got that wrong. 

I recently purchased the Swatcom Active 8 (basically an upgraded MSA Sordin). They are excellent and I don't have any problem about bashing stock on them. I got mine for £225 (have seen them advertised for £299 elsewhere), so shop around as they vary in price.

Sordin still make their own models, but since 2018 as an individual company.
They were part of MSA for quite some time.

I Don’t think there’s a big difference with latest generation from Sordin, knowing Swatcoms are produced by Sordin.

My Sordins are from the MSA period, but don’t feel the need to change to something else as long as they keep functioning and don’t fall apart.
Looking at their condition after several years of heavy use, I’m afraid I don’t need to spend money on new ones anytime soon. 

Sorry for asdking what may be a silly questions - Are the buttons, and thus cutout on the left hand side - I'm a lefty.

Sorry for asdking what may be a silly questions - Are the buttons, and thus cutout on the left hand side - I'm a lefty.
If you wear the headphones with the microphones pointing forwards, then the buttons are on the left. I found I can still use them as a RH shooter and not hit the stock, but it’s a bit easier with the buttons on stock side. 

Tho I haven't gotten around to doing it yet I decided to just relieve the TSK and Evocomp stocks that I'm shooting most now.  The muffs I use touch every stock I have.  The combs are short already and the part below the muff does nothing anyway.  Not like the aesthetics are gonna suffer AFAIC.

Hi all I am looking to buy a set of muffs that will not contact with my gun stock when I mount the shotgun, also are muffs with Gell ear cushions more  soft and comfortable.

Best regards

Bill
Did you find any that don't touch your stock?  I have the same problem, so I'm still using plugs.

Did you find any that don't touch your stock?  I have the same problem, so I'm still using plugs.
I too have this problem and being short of arm I can't get away with a Monte Carlo stock. I have some in-ear over the head ones, but exchanged them for Plugzz.

I have used Sordin ( Swatcom) for many years and can only comment on what a superb product they are .

If ever (rarely) you do have an issue with them and require a repair I would not hesitate to contact Talking Headsets Ltd., in Southbourne Hampshire PO10 8PE 01243 375708. Absolutely superb service and they come back to you as good as new. 

I have also used Peltor which are also very good, but bulky and will catch your stock , also I know of a number of people who have had repair issues with them .

I am now reliably informed that CENS in ear electrics are good , but I am constantly aware of noise entering through the soft tissue surronding the ear canal , so I like to take ultra care .

In fact I wear foam plugs and my Sordins .

I have also used Peltor which are also very good, but bulky and will catch your stock , also I know of a number of people who have had repair issues with them .
Surprised to hear that, my 6 month old Peltors packed up last year, thought the batteries had gone but just dead. A little investigation found corrosion on the battery circuit board & there was no power as it was open circuit. Sent back to the suppliers & they came back repaired & with a new hygiene kit fitted FOC

Back