DTL first timer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and they are new at it too....................remember  ??

Stick with 1/2 for the first barrel.
Exactly and most new trap shooters let the target out the trap a good way before taking the shot so even more reason imo to choke up 👍

Exactly and most new trap shooters let the target out the trap a good way before taking the shot so even more reason imo to choke up 👍
We used a Beretta 301 (the type with the drop in chokes), a gun that had no chokes with it when we bought it, but it had a very short stock and 26" barrel, ideal for Ladies and youngsters to start with. We would lock up the DTL trap into a 'straight ahead' position on the 'have a go' days and move the firing position forward of the 16 yards. Using no choke and 21 gram cartridges , some of the ranges I saw clays well broken at,  gave me a complete new outlook on chokes  ! 

I will take any poster on this site and give them a blind test of chokes from   3/8 through to 3/4 and none of them will know what they are shooting.... and I will put a large wedge of money on it!

Find your way down and I will be delighted to take you to any number of shooting ranges where you can tell me what choke you missed with :)

because as you know it is impossible to tell with the ones you hit :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question, does pattern not come into this? My Beretta pattern is much more even with ¾ than with full using same cartridges at same distance, would that not be more helpful than tightness of pattern?  I’ve also noticed that ¾ patterns more even my with both factory and briley extended chokes on my Franchi SA which I think uses a beretta choke (Mobil?).  Local gunsmith who fitted my beretta seemed to feel that Beretta optima HP chokes that come in my clay gun as standard were tighter for the designated construction than he would expect.

Appreciate views, I’d quite like to have a good go at ABT which I think is similar to DTL?

Local gunsmith who fitted my beretta seemed to feel that Beretta optima HP chokes that come in my clay gun as standard were tighter for the designated construction than he would expect.
This is the thing are they ? Choke is not a measurement of the barrel as such it is supposed to be a ratio of the total shot inside a certain diameter at a given distance  DUE to a restriction ... or have I go this wrong ?? eg a full choke will put 75% of the load inside a 30" diameter at 40yds or whatever?

Appreciate views, I’d quite like to have a good go at ABT which I think is similar to DTL?
I don't know what my gun is for sure but it could be 1/2 and full ... you will break every target you shoot at first tube  when shooting ABT, UT or FO... if you are on target with my gun it is that simple! DTL ... never shot it so I will hold on that... but I have heard with a twin shot catapult you are in with a chance :lol:  seriously though to win at that you have to shoot really well to win.

I have 1/2 3/4  in mine 24grm 7.5 and smoke OT when on them(posibly to tight ) and  dtl know of someone who has done 300 using skeet chokes.

This is the thing are they ? Choke is not a measurement of the barrel as such it is supposed to be a ratio of the total shot inside a certain diameter at a given distance  DUE to a restriction ... or have I go this wrong ?? eg a full choke will put 75% of the load inside a 30" diameter at 40yds or whatever?
Don’t know, just a comment from a pro gunsmith..

Quick question, does pattern not come into this? My Beretta pattern is much more even with ¾ than with full using same cartridges at same distance, would that not be more helpful than tightness of pattern?  I’ve also noticed that ¾ patterns more even my with both factory and briley extended chokes on my Franchi SA which I think uses a beretta choke (Mobil?).  Local gunsmith who fitted my beretta seemed to feel that Beretta optima HP chokes that come in my clay gun as standard were tighter for the designated construction than he would expect.

A half reasonable gunsmith would stick a bore micrometer up the barrels and then pull it back to check what the constriction was with each choke and whether that constriction equated with the nominal choking stamped on the choke.

If you want to shoot DTL or ABT just stick the chokes stamped half and three quarters in the gun and go and shoot it.

There's no point in getting anal about chokes if you can't shoot the discipline. There's more to focus on than a couple of metal tubes.

A half reasonable gunsmith would stick a bore micrometer up the barrels and then pull it back to check what the constriction was with each choke and whether that constriction equated with the nominal choking stamped on the choke.

If you want to shoot DTL or ABT just stick the chokes stamped half and three quarters in the gun and go and shoot it.

There's no point in getting anal about chokes if you can't shoot the discipline. There's more to focus on than a couple of metal tubes.
It was an observation based on pattern..

My actual question was surely pattern evenness is more important than degree of constriction...

It was an observation based on pattern..

My actual question was surely pattern evenness is more important than degree of constriction...
I prefer to base my decisions on the basis of my kill performance.  I know my gun shoots where I'm looking and so long as the breaks are consistent that's good enough for me. 

You'll find me out shooting, along with the vast majority of my GB and England team mates busting clays.  You'll not see us faffing about at pattern plates worrying about cartridge pellet count, chokes or cartridge speeds.

None of this counts for anything if you're not able to point the gun in the right place to start with. 

Sorry if this sounds blunt but that's how I see it.

You'll not see us faffing about at pattern plates worrying about cartridge pellet count, chokes or cartridge speeds.

None of this counts for anything if you're not able to point the gun in the right place to start with. 
Amen ! 

I prefer to base my decisions on the basis of my kill performance.  I know my gun shoots where I'm looking and so long as the breaks are consistent that's good enough for me. 

You'll find me out shooting, along with the vast majority of my GB and England team mates busting clays.  You'll not see us faffing about at pattern plates worrying about cartridge pellet count, chokes or cartridge speeds.

Sorry if this sounds blunt but that's how I see it.
Ok, so neither is important at all?  I like your simple approach, I like to know I have given myself every chance (probably due to gameshoot8ng where chips don’t count)

As a former gamekeeper and game shooter (retired last season) I've seen quite a few shooters over the years with expensive gun and cartridges to give themselves the best chance and they still missed or wounded pheasants because they have no idea of how to actually shoot their quarry.

Some of our syndicate members looked horrified when I suggested getting their guns out of the cabinet for a few hours practice on the clays before the season started. They preferred to get the gun out on the first syndicate day and lock it away again at the end of the last day until the following season.

Unsurprisingly they were the ones who could miss the birds all day despite being on the 'hot' pegs.

Others just have any old gun and a pocket full of odds and sods cartridges and don't miss many. Why? They know how to shoot.

It is no different clay shooting. Learn to shoot the discpline first and when you have some experience you can try experimenting with chokes and cartridges. 

Maybe I'll see you on an ABT layout somewhere?

i always use 3/4 and full for ABT . you might still get kills with more open chokes but you are also going to have gaps in your pattern . so even though your shooting exactly where you should be, you may not break the clay . 

for dtl you could open it up a bit but for abt id definitely want the security of 3/4 and full

so even though your shooting exactly where you should be, you may not break the clay . 
Never in a thousand or even two thousand or to be honest even more shots will a clay target pass through the centre of a shotgun load  choked at even 3/8 at a distance of 30 - 35m without breaking . Phil is shooting in the GBR squad using about 1/2 and 3/4 and its good enough for him ! I do know that better shooters will use a tighter choke .. because they are unerringly accurate with their shot placement and tend to use 24g loads for FO  but anybody who can centre a target using even a 1/4 choke at first barrel distance will break it with 28g and probably every time with even 24g. Mind you it is a great , but unbelievable, excuse when shooting... oh that one went straight through the pattern... of course I am only using half choke in the first tube  silly me :lol:

I dont know man 1/4 for abt seems like madness. 1/2 for the bottom barrell fair enough but thats about the limit

Ive shot dtl using skeet choke just to try it and missed loads where id nearly never miss with 3/4 

Ok, so neither is important at all?  I like your simple approach, I like to know I have given myself every chance (probably due to gameshoot8ng where chips don’t count)
Oh I don't know,  I find pheasant and chips a very acceptable.    :angel:

Ok, here is one for your game shooting theory, I shot a 100 birder sporting today using my new toy, a 20 bore. I was unaware of what chokes were in it,  as they were in it when I got it. I shot a reasonable (for me)  78/100. There was not a single stand where I did not hit at least 1 of each target, including the high tower and a few distant targets. My cartridges were a mixture of 24 and 28 gram 7's and 7 1/2's. I have just been cleaning the gun and removed the chokes for cleaning, skeet and 1/4 were in the gun. Not knowing which chokes were in it, avoided the faffing around with the safety catch from stand to stand. I now need to find another 20 bore Inv choke in 1/4,  to shoot my favoured 1/4 in both.

Being simple minded, I too take the 'simple approach'  of   "If it ain't broken, then DON'T fix it"   !

I dont know man 1/4 for abt seems like madness. 1/2 for the bottom barrell fair enough but thats about the limit

Ive shot dtl using skeet choke just to try it and missed loads where id nearly never miss with 3/4 
Totally agree davy, i have also shot dtl with 1/4 and what kills i had were cack.

Fixed choke trap guns are (with maybe the odd exception) 3/4 full. Mr Beretta and perazi etc would have had input from very clever folk including shooters and concluded that is the correct choke for trap. Its only since multi choke that folk have got all questioning about it. Yes some folk had fixed choke guns regulated even opened up a bit but trap with 1/4 ....its a no from me...you can also keep 1/2 

Latest posts

Back