Dt10 height of Combe relating to seen rib

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As ever, I am staggered by the amount of knowledge and advice freely available on this site. We should all be Digweeds or Winsers after reading it.
Its a forum and by definition people voice an opinion on various matters. What others do with the information / advice / experience / observations is entirely up to them. Your reply is of no help to anyone it merely attempts to belittle by way of sarcasm those who have taken the trouble to continue to have input in the forum and therefore ensure that it remains. Perhaps you would enjoy joining the discussion with your own thoughts on the matter more than you enjoy a short sarcastic reply such as the one above. Perhaps you would care to highlight which parts of this discussion that you obviously find to be factually incorrect or perhaps you have nothing to offer.... Pray tell ?

I agree with WH, if your eye goes below the rib its most likely a miss on that target, I find one way to get the minimum "flat rib " view  is to check  the mount on to an imaginary incomer ,this is best done out side,and helpfull if you have telephone or power lines to alingn the imaginary target, mount/swing as per normal along the line, and when you get vertical or just past you have no option but to have you face crammed into the comb, now close the left eye and check what amount of rib you see.  its not the one and only method but is a handy check for high stuff.

Last edited:
I would also add that in my experience it depends on the gun in question. I have had guns that i can shoot well (at trap) with a high comb and others more flat, it is my opinion that many factors are involved in "were a gun shoots" or at least were we "percieve it to shoot" than merely comb height. Tapered to muzzle ribs, pitch and just general dynamic of how a gun handles all have an effect. This is why i consider the only way to make adjustments is to shoot at targets. Dry mounts and stationary set ups have little if any bearing on the reality of how or rather were a gun shoots. In my humble opinion of course

I agree with WH, if your eye goes below the rib its most likely a miss on that target, I find one way to get the minimum "flat rib " view  is to check  the mount on to an imaginary incomer ,this is best done out side,and helpfull if you have telephone or power lines to alingn the imaginary target, mount/swing as per normal along the line, and when you get vertical or just past you have no option but to have you face crammed into the comb, now close the left eye and check what amount of rib you see.  its not the one and only method but is a handy check for high stuff.
Sounds a good plan and pretty much concurs with my sentiment of dry mounting being of little use for checking poi / poa...unless i read your post incorrectly

Thankyou, its just what I would consider a primary move that you can still see the rib all the time,pre testing for everything else really. also with the overhead lines it is a good practice situation anyways . presuming you have some wheres safe and out of sight to do it, on the middle of a housing estate with neighbour pearing over the fence wouldnt be wise practice...

Do you know what? Neither do I. I think its time for a break.
No need for that, i am genuinely interested in your opinion.

For the record the above is sincere, no sarcasm meant or anything else. 👍

Matters comb are right up my street but the reason I haven’t got involved is because it’s just such a huge area and opinions vary and unsurprisingly results do too, in other words success has come to low, mid and high(ish) camps but as Will has suggested starting with a truly flat sight picture is fraught with problems. I think most people will ultimately be best served with a comb that is a tad higher than the “norm” - seeing a bit of rib won’t do you any harm.

Matters comb are right up my street but the reason I haven’t got involved is because it’s just such a huge area and opinions vary and unsurprisingly results do too, in other words success has come to low, mid and high(ish) camps but as Will has suggested starting with a truly flat sight picture is fraught with problems. I think most people will ultimately be best served with a comb that is a tad higher than the “norm” - seeing a bit of rib won’t do you any harm.
This i agree with entirely, better a tad high than too low. All that happens with too low is a head lift which ends up as tooo highhh 😉

About ten years ago i returned to DTL for a few seasons, i got me a high rib 682 gold e cos higj ribs were becoming the rage and i didnt want to miss out the revelation...anyway after much messing with adj comb as still wasnt happy so made a bold decision to set the gun up so it was comfortable regardless of the set up being technically wrong  i ended up with a parallel comb as high as i could get it and would have gone higher but for running out of post, i could see a runway of rib (if i had concerned myself with bothering about it) but i shot better DTL than ever before. Of course like a fool i chopped it for a DT10 X trap bag of absolute cack and in all honesty the journey since that fateful decision has been fraught with frustration. Read into that what you wish.

Do you know what? Neither do I. I think its time for a break.
I miss shooting Fitasc with you.  

I have a very high comb on Dora the DT10, mix my method gun up gun down and only like to lightly touch my cheek to my stock.  I have no idea of the complexities and rely on my old man to come up with the answers which he has and does for me and Wylye in real life is a jovial, smiley fun person to shoot with.

Last edited by a moderator:
A mate I shoot with filmed me shooting a stand (which I straighted) without me knowing, to show me my head position on the stock. I was shocked my cheek was not touching stock by a long way. And I shoot with a very high comb. God knows how I hit anything.

A mate I shoot with filmed me shooting a stand (which I straighted) without me knowing, to show me my head position on the stock. I was shocked my cheek was not touching stock by a long way. And I shoot with a very high comb. God knows how I hit anything.
As GD says (which Wylye will presumably find acceptable), gun fit is not that important. “Get it about right and learn where it shoots”.

I miss shooting Fitasc with you.  

Wylye in real life is a jovial, smiley fun person to shoot with.
I know! Shame he’s bitter and sarcastic on here. Particularly unkind to newbies asking “obvious” questions. 

Sounds a good plan and pretty much concurs with my sentiment of dry mounting being of little use for checking poi / poa...unless i read your post incorrectly
Thanks all of you for your help and advice which I shall be trying out when shooting in Devon this coming week.

many thanks again

Bill

I would be absolutely crazy to know what a bespoke gun maker would say if a client told them just make it any old way and I'll work around it.  Why anyone would handicap themselves with a gun that doesn't or "almost" fits will remain a total mystery to me forever.  Taking the small amount of time to make it right (compared to WTF know how long to "learn" it)  will .................. well, everything.

We all are of course free to make whatever choices we feel proper regarding our person approach to shooting.  If someone chooses to go down a path ill advised in terms of fit and process then I will be the very first to wish them the very best of luck and hope they play all the money

Back