Double Trap - Shoot Information & News

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrench

Good Evening all!

I have set up this forum to keep people posted on any Double trap news that may be of interest to you.

As many of you will know Double Trap is undergoing some rule changes for the next Olympic cycle and the ISSF will not be making any official decisions till some time in November so that was the reason behind the cancelled selection shoots.

We will be waiting with baited breath for an announcement and when we get one it will be all systems go.

With regard to what the changes will be, there seems to be more questions than answers. The ISSF seem unable to come to any agreement on what the system should be so we just have to wait till they do!

One thing we do know is that Womens Double Trap is back in the next commonwealth games which is fantastic news so if any women reading this want to get involved or you know someone that does please contact me on here or via email at [email protected] and i can add you to the mailing list for info. Once again the selection procedure for the commonwealth games cant be decided till we sort out the new rules.

Best guesses on rule changes are that we will move from 50 targets per round to 30

The 0 -1 second delay being removed

4 rounds of 30 for qualifiying

Final being top 8 people instead of 6 and winner being found by way of shoot off duels

I hope this has been helpful and if anyone has any questions please fire away and ill try my best to answer or find out the answer.

Best wishes

Matthew French

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Matthew,

All i can add to the best guess is that the targets will be random from any of the 3 original schemes. So no more spot shooting the first bird.

I think there are a few control boxes already in the uk already programmed for the new DT rules. Let's hope the ISSF stick with what has been rumoured or all the computers will have to be reprgrammed again.

Let's hope all this gives DT a boost this year as it is a great discipline ?

David

I hope there are more events for DT as I would be keen to give it a go.

Really pleased to get a few quick responses! We need you good people at selections when they start!

David - In regard to the random pairs, for a long time in fact up until the olympics that system seemed almost certain to be introduced but i recieved a message from a man in the know saying that a lot of the ISSF officials dont like that system and wont vote for it!

There is another 30 target system that the italians are strangely using already in comps so they may know something we dont. A few people think they may have been given an early nod on whats to come! very sneaky!!!

Like you say whatever happens i hope it gives DT a well deserved boost!!

Matt

HI Matt,

i heard the italians had been practising for about 3 months and the russians as well !! Do you think it will remain a set scheme with spot shooting still possible on the first bird ?

David

Hi David

Yep i heard the same about various nations training on it. The indians have been working on it for a couple of years they reckon.

Its really frustrating as we have no idea how its going to turn out. It seems lots of people thought the random pairs was to hard so they talked of reducing target distance to 50 meters but then they came accross a problem that most trench traps would need a weaker spring to achive it.

I belive the spot shooting aspect has to be removed as its not good for shotgun shooting and by taking away the delay so its instant like OT that might happen.

There is a video on youtube of the russians trying out the random pairs in cyprus and they miss A LOT!!!!

By the time the ISSF get there act together we will be having to have selection shoots in the middle of winter so whatever happens the new DT is going to get off to an interesting start!!

Interesting to see where this goes. I am a pretty much dyed in the wool sporting shooter but will have a crack at anything. Tried DT at Owls Lodge one weekend and decided I'm far too slow :( Didnt help watching Richard practice beforehand, He obviously knows the scheme and I was shooting my first where he shot his second!

Really enjoyed it though and just crept over the 50% mark so was well chuffed :D

HI Matt,

Ii've seen that video of the russians, found it quite encouraging that they were missing like me.lot's of two tone bleeping !! I have tried the random pairs with no delay at kippen as they have had their box for some time now. It is much more difficult to find hold points as the targets could be so wide apart. It is frustrating that the issf still can't decide what to do yet !!

Have you tried any of the new set ups yet ? I believe Martin Barker is having a session on the random pairs no delay at nuthampstead ? But who knows whether he will keep it on if the issf are still mulling over how to run DT for the next olympic cycle ?

David

They have the new chip at Southern Counties ......and it is supposed to be going random after all. Great that women are back in. I am going to give it a go seeing as they are destroying my discipline!!!

Matt will you put me on your email list?

Who are going to be the Double Trap reps on Bictsf? I heard that Ian was retiring and David resigned?

There aren't many grounds which put DT on, on a regular basis, are there?

I guess the usual places would be A1, Nuthampstead, NCSC, maybe others.

Any ground can easily put it on, all you need is 3 traps. The reason it started was for countries that did not have fancy shooting set ups. All you needed was the bunker and 3 traps.

Now any trap ground can put it on it they have the will to do so. They just use 3 of their OT or UT traps.

Toby don't forget Southern Counties and Owls Lodge.

If they make it random pairs with an instant release I could be tempted to have go! Shot DT once when I was very young, seemed quite fun but that was with instant release.

Interesting to see where this goes. I am a pretty much dyed in the wool sporting shooter but will have a crack at anything. Tried DT at Owls Lodge one weekend and decided I'm far too slow :( Didnt help watching Richard practice beforehand, He obviously knows the scheme and I was shooting my first where he shot his second!

Really enjoyed it though and just crept over the 50% mark so was well chuffed :D
Everone finds DT very hard to start with but with time and lots of practice it becomes a lot better to shoot. once you start to get the technique correct you will naturally get faster.On my first go i only shot 24 and it took me ages to consistently break 30. 4 years later i made the GB team so dont give up!!

HI Matt,

Ii've seen that video of the russians, found it quite encouraging that they were missing like me.lot's of two tone bleeping !! I have tried the random pairs with no delay at kippen as they have had their box for some time now. It is much more difficult to find hold points as the targets could be so wide apart. It is frustrating that the issf still can't decide what to do yet !!

Have you tried any of the new set ups yet ? I believe Martin Barker is having a session on the random pairs no delay at nuthampstead ? But who knows whether he will keep it on if the issf are still mulling over how to run DT for the next olympic cycle ?

David
Yep watching the russians miss more than they hit was great viewing!!!I was all geared up to start training on the random pairs but then got advised not to waste my time as it might not happen so i have been putting my feet up saving money till we get the final answer! Think ill probably train on the old system a little mixed in with a few sessions on the randoms to cover all bases but i wouldn't go spending a fortune on either right now!

They have the new chip at Southern Counties ......and it is supposed to be going random after all. Great that women are back in. I am going to give it a go seeing as they are destroying my discipline!!!

Matt will you put me on your email list?

Who are going to be the Double Trap reps on Bictsf? I heard that Ian was retiring and David resigned?
Hi NicolaNo problem ill put you on the list. David wathen sends a mass email out with various information so if you give me your email address ill get dave to add you.

I and going on as Double Trap rep with David. Ian is leaving the board but dave has promised he will stay on a while till i get to know the ropes so be gentle with me!!!

From what im hearing the random pairs system is only 50/50 to go ahead so its anyones guess at the moment!

Look forward to seeing you and a hopefully a load more ladies when we selections sorted!!

If they make it random pairs with an instant release I could be tempted to have go! Shot DT once when I was very young, seemed quite fun but that was with instant release.
We are in dire need of more people like yourself to come and get involved. Im not sure why we dont get more good sporting shooters trying it? Maybe a lack of facilities around the country compared to sporting grounds being everywhere!

For those of you on Facebook, i have set up a group called - Double Trap UK - again its just to keep people informed and to try and raise attendace levels for a much needed kick up the arse!

Matt

For those of you on Facebook, i have set up a group called - Double Trap UK - again its just to keep people informed and to try and raise attendace levels for a much needed kick up the arse!

Matt
'LIKE'

(run out of likes for today)

Back