Definition of "Straw Baler

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

I'm uncertain how the term "Straw Baler" is defined.

Are we simply talking about a shoot which is not CPSA registered?

Or a local outfit that decides to have a one-off clay shoot for charity?

Or something in between?

Lots of shoots run under the 28 day planning rule "a form of 'permitted development' allowing land to be used without planning permission 'for any purpose for not more than 28 days in total in any calendar year...and the provision on land of any moveable structures for the purposes of the permitted use'." So traps are often manual and straw bales are used to protect trappers from falling shot. "Straw baler" is used in quite a sneery way sometimes to mean anything that isn't a CPSA registered and therefore isn't quite as hard. There's an implication of cheapness and amateurism as well.

A Charity shoot can be as hard as a CPSA registered. Lots are held at permanent clay grounds. 

If you have a shoot in a field it might be a "straw baler", but there are professional outfits with moveable kit and no sign of a bale. 

If it were down to whether they have planning permission and permanent infrastructure, then even some Registered shoots could be called straw balers.  Pretty sure that Horne operates under the 28 day rule (they have two different sites so it allows a shoot every weekend).

I suspect we need another term for those regular shoots that don't deserve any hint of sneeriness. I'm thinking of the late lamented Somerley, and I'm thinking of Ower, Pilford, and shoots like that where a lot of thought goes into their layouts, facilities are decent, and targets well considered. 

Portaloo by the side of the burger van is a pretty good give away.  :lol:

Seriously though it's a good question and although traditionally I'd say the once or twice a month 50 birders set up with samey birds and a rusty shack for booking in are the true straw balers, it can't be denied that one or two more permanent set ups have such basic infrastructure that they could justifiably be described as such. 

I shoot a local shoot. Not a straw bale in sight but very neat and tidy. Sod all all facilities, score yourselves, no prizes, fibre wad, very unimaginative target setting. They refuse to employ me as sales rep. ? But it’s local so I often go to see mates in the village. 

I shoot a local shoot. Not a straw bale in sight but very neat and tidy. Sod all all facilities, score yourselves, no prizes, fibre wad, very unimaginative target setting. They refuse to employ me as sales rep. ? But it’s local so I often go to see mates in the village. 
I attend a similar shoot (score yourselves, fibre wad), although I wouldn't say the target setting was unimaginative at the one I go to.  

Do a couple very similar,one an actual club,all legal and fully insured. Another is a nice informal shoot with a good layout,run by a CPSA registered coach. Neither are registered shoots but I think the term STRAW BALER does not apply to either of them.

Just a generic term for a local club shoot I think. Help set targets at one myself most Saturday mornings. We have 2 shipping containers of gear including 13 electric traps. Excellent targets, certainly comparable if not tougher than most registered shoots. AA and international shots only hitting 50% or just over on a stiff day. Good fluffy rabbits. No toilet or eating facilities. Usually get 2 squads of 7-10 guns set over 2 muddy fields. Not run for any profit other than covering our costs,  £10 for 60 clays. Not a straw bale in sight.

I think that is probably the definition of a 'straw baler'. No facilities, enthusiastic group who want to shoot on the cheap, difficult targets, parking for a 4x4 with good tyres and suspicion of anyone with a proper skeet vest.

Some time ago it used to be a a fund raiser for the local good cause and you could shoot at least four during any weekend through the summer months. Always a stall selling tea and cakes baked by the wives/mistresses of those organising. Getting around them in sequence was like planning the invasion of France but you usually managed to get to the last one at five to three on Sunday afternoon. Happy days.

Wylye,

Excellant description.

Shoot organised by local country community or YFC for the good of locals and friends .

Straw bales often used to protect traps or trap as it was often just a 10 or 25 bird DTL , extra bales to sit on by waiting competitors.

I think they were probably more enjoyable than current shoots which seem to be patronised by sour faced individuals worrying or tampering with their National average .

It is supposed to be enjoyable Chaps , lighten up for goodness sake .

To me "strawbalers" are irregular/once a year charity,business or organisation badged shoots where you will see the worst examples of gun safety ever.

At the Rules one last year a loaded gun was pointed at us by a young lady when entering one stand who then proceeded to stand 15 yards away from the next stand she was waiting for and load her gun again.

After being politely asked to unload her gun in the interests of safety she stormed off returning with 3 burly blokes at pace having told them a complete crock of sh*t about what happened.

This is what defines straw balers to me

Seems to me a "Strawbaler" is someone who puts straw bales out and no longer has a common meaning in relation to clay shooting. 

I go to 2 "28 day rule" Fibre wad only shoots, and have been going for decades and never once have I seen a straw bale. However, at one of the shoots, the car park does resemble the Somme at times but that's made up for by superb bacon butties and imaginative and varied targets. The other shoot is very much run by the shooters, we take turns in setting up which means targets are rarely repeated exactly. 

There's no real competition (beyond the usual fluffy rabbits) it's just what we do on a Sunday morning before we go to the pub.

Not knocking CPSA average addicts, but as Peter says, it's meant to be fun and that's my take on it too. 

Latest posts

Back