Custom Moulded Ear Protection (CENS etc)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P1Fanatic

I currently use Peltor Sportac Active Ear Defenders and get on with them fairly well especially being able to speaking normally whilst shooting in a group. I do get the occasional clunk on my stock and after a couple of hours my ears can get a bit sweaty as there is not a load of space inside the cups. That said in this cold weather they are god send as act like an ear muff blocking out the cold wind. However the headband and protrusion of the cups does limit your headwear.

I am intrigued by the custom moulded plugs like ACS and CENS. I tried a few searches on here as thought it would be something that comes up fairly regular but could only find one post linking to an identical post on Pigeonwatch Forums.

Does anyone use these and how do you get on with them? It’s a lot of money if you go for the active / digital versions (like £450 for the CENS Proflex Digital +) so I want to do some research before I splash the cash. I like the CENS option that you can by the basic passive moulds for around £90 and later upgrade the passive unit to the active one just to see if you get on with the fit etc.

I did find this super hearing protection test http://www.shootforum.com/forum/ShootForum_hearing_protection_test.pdf that really rated them although the battery life of 8hrs was concerning when CENS state 220hrs. Also mention that wind noise was noticeable although this test was in 2009 and I believe they have been updated to avoid this since.

Interested to hear any feedback good or bad. Also any alternate’s to the CENS & ACS versions that are worth considering – I see Siemens do their own version but can’t find any review info on them so either they are new or just unpopular.

Thanks

Simon

I currently use Peltor Sportac Active Ear Defenders and get on with them fairly well especially being able to speaking normally whilst shooting in a group. I do get the occasional clunk on my stock and after a couple of hours my ears can get a bit sweaty as there is not a load of space inside the cups. That said in this cold weather they are god send as act like an ear muff blocking out the cold wind. However the headband and protrusion of the cups does limit your headwear.

I am intrigued by the custom moulded plugs like ACS and CENS. I tried a few searches on here as thought it would be something that comes up fairly regular but could only find one post linking to an identical post on Pigeonwatch Forums.

Does anyone use these and how do you get on with them? It’s a lot of money if you go for the active / digital versions (like £450 for the CENS Proflex Digital +) so I want to do some research before I splash the cash. I like the CENS option that you can by the basic passive moulds for around £90 and later upgrade the passive unit to the active one just to see if you get on with the fit etc.

I did find this super hearing protection test http://www.shootforum.com/forum/ShootForum_hearing_protection_test.pdf that really rated them although the battery life of 8hrs was concerning when CENS state 220hrs. Also mention that wind noise was noticeable although this test was in 2009 and I believe they have been updated to avoid this since.

Interested to hear any feedback good or bad. Also any alternate’s to the CENS & ACS versions that are worth considering – I see Siemens do their own version but can’t find any review info on them so either they are new or just unpopular.

Thanks

Simon
I used to wear deben headphones, but did not like the tight feel, the clonking on the stock on them and the sweaty feel. (Just like you). So I had two types of moulded plugs made. Good, but not the ultimate hearing defence and you get cold ears in the winter.

The only answer IMO is MSA Sordin headphones, especially with the gel ear inserts. Put them on with the button panel on the stock side and you never tap the stock. They are light clamping and very comfortable. Perfect solution; would be lost without them.

I had my impressions done at the shooting show for Cens.

I am going to go for the Proflex two I think so look forward to hearing people's views.

+1 for emtec noisebreakers had them a year now and spot on.

I've got the moulded ACS.....they do what they say on the tin.....

I used to wear deben headphones, but did not like the tight feel, the clonking on the stock on them and the sweaty feel. (Just like you). So I had two types of moulded plugs made. Good, but not the ultimate hearing defence and you get cold ears in the winter.

The only answer IMO is MSA Sordin headphones, especially with the gel ear inserts. Put them on with the button panel on the stock side and you never tap the stock. They are light clamping and very comfortable. Perfect solution; would be lost without them.
When you say not the ultimate hearing defence what do you mean - just overall package for you or you had a problem with the hearing protection side? Which two did you have?

I had my impressions done at the shooting show for Cens.

I am going to go for the Proflex two I think so look forward to hearing people's views.
They price it so that if your going for the digital version its very tempting to go for the 2 version even if your not a game shooter. I cant remember if it was the Mammoth Review above or a YouTube review that seemed to say Mode 2 was better overall even for clays.....

Thanks for the replies. The Windbreakers and the ACS Custom Sonic Valves are very similarly priced to the CENS Proflex Passive’s but with the CENS you get the option to later update to the active module. I may never make that jump as it is quite a big difference (almost £400) but at least it is an option.

When you say not the ultimate hearing defence what do you mean - just overall package for you or you had a problem with the hearing protection side? Which two did you have?
Hi,

Moulded plugs work well enough, but you get slightly quieter with good headphones. A good deal of hearing is, I believe, sensed through the skull bone around the ear, which only headphones cover.

Sorry, to answer your question about which two.. can't remember the name of the electronic ones. They were in a hard material and worked well enough, especially with the volume control buttons. My wife still uses hers, but hardly shoots.

On a really hot day (only), I use my original set, which are quite small and more rubbery material. Passive, but very comfy to wear. Can't remember their brand name either!

Just buy these: http://www.best4headsets.co.uk/_MSA_Sordin_Supreme_Pro_Headset/asp/ProdID/3816/CtgID/3832/af/page.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been used cens hunters for over a year now, they are very good, they don't get in the way, you almost forget you have them in, they are expensive but I feel well worth the money.

Hmm not sure my firewall will let me look at that link Will :O

Thanks for the replies. The Windbreakers and the ACS Custom Sonic Valves are very similarly priced to the CENS Proflex Passive’s but with the CENS you get the option to later update to the active module. I may never make that jump as it is quite a big difference (almost £400) but at least it is an option.
Think you mean Noisebreakers,,,,,,,,windbreakers are a different thing altogether and available at &rgos

My wife and I have used emtec moulded for several years with no problems we decided last year at the world sporting to treat ourselves to digital cens we both think we wasted our money battery life poor and very fiddly to set noise levels .  

Hmmm I think I am gonna have to try these noisebreakers out. Puretone got back to me about the upgrade option on the CENS. If you buy the standard Proflex passive its £90 then to upgrade to digital modules its £178 an ear! So pretty much the same overall price as buying the full set upfront which is fair enough but you don’t seem to get the full kit with box, batteries etc. £500 on something you can’t even sell on if you don’t get on with them (I suppose you could sell the digital modules on but the market for that would be very small).

The EMTEC website has very limited info especially how much, how to order etc is not present so will give them a call later today. Did you Noisebreaker users buy from them direct or elsewhere?

Cheers

Simon

Give them a call, they will let you know where to get ear moulds made... in my case, the guy was nearby me and made a home appointment...it took about 10 minutes.

Then they will make them back at the factory and send them out to you.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Latest posts

Back