Best Ear protection? In ear or muff?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the last couple of weeks I have used the MSA Sordin Pro X ( Gel seal ) three times . Twice on clays , once on driven game.  So here is my personal experience  .  First they look the business in olive green with leather band , not silly looking for the game shoot !   (4 of the nine guns on the game shoot were wearing cans and all were a variant of electronic a couple had in ear electronic )  On all three occasions, I’ve worn them over a cloth cap and with Oakley Pro-M frames , the fit  / seal was not impaired . They did not interfere with gun mount even with the Miroku trap stock which has not been lowered . 

The overall noise reduction is very good and the way they operate is excellent , on report , they do not shut off , they just flatten the report and any other ambient sound  , you do not lose  situational awareness even for a second.  I’ve worn them for over an hour and a half .on the clay ground and they are extremely comfortable .  The ability to amplify up to 4 times was brilliant on the game shoot , selecting an appropriate level  I believe gave me an edge in my “. Risk Assesment “ of who and was around me , and I could easily distinguish various whistles from the beating line and pickers up .  Adjusting the volume was a doddle , a one finger job even with gloves on .  A beep in the headset accompanies every increment and a double beep for end of scale . The sound is stereo with an independent microphone on both ears . 

I can’t think of much in a negative way , for £190 I would have liked a case , but no big deal , one is winging it’s way from China as we speak ( 4.99 delivered ) ! 

The build quality is superb , but so it should be . 

I’ll still use the Emtech noisebreakers from time to time , and there is also the possibility of using them belt and braces , but at the moment I’m an enthusiastic convert  to the Sordin cans 

Last edited by a moderator:
i have tried lots of different types of ear protection and for me the best protection / reduction is from 3M PELTOR X5 Earmuffs , i previously had the Cens which are fine if you are shooting outdoors but for shooting in sheds i dont rate them . downside is those earmuffs are bulky . they are comfortable for me and dont get in the way but they might depending on how you mount the gun 

I can, with all honesty, state that I have probably had a lot of muffs over my ears, in the 55 + years that I have been shooting  !  As I am now as deaf as the proverbial doorpost, I do not think they protected my hearing in any way, shape or form. I would add that they probably had a detrimental effect on my eyesight too  !  Although muffs have put a smile on my face on most occasions, I now, at 70 plus, tend to stick with ear plugs, albeit it electronic ones.  The main advantage of the electronic plugs, coupled with my deafness, is that I can turn OFF the  electronic enhancement as and when required. This can be a great advantage if I am in the company of one of the owners of the aforementioned muffs  !

So, to sum up, steer clear of muffs if you value your eyesight.  (you rightly pointed out the "compromised with glasses" fact).  If you can stand muffs on your ears, especially during hot weather, then I would look at someone called Howard Leight, he seems to have it sussed at a reasonable price.

The 'in ear' are the type that I would buy, although I have had problems with my Cens electrics, I have never had any issues with my 25 years old Emtech's. The Cens have never been right from day 1, BUT that may be due to having all those muffs, many, many years ago.     :thankyou:

Westley how do muffs affect eyesight

I got the Emtechs when the motor cyclists that I worked with were getting them supplied as a 'Health and Safety' issue, due to the foam plugs sometimes causing ear infections. The plugs were being put in and out of their ears all day (or night) and it was difficult hearing their radio inside their helmets. The Emtechs were trialled and proved to be the right tool for the job (so to speak !). They have a small valve thing which allowed the passage of low noise, but cut out any loud noise. So, when the chap that was doing the ear moulds came, I joined the queue and sent the company my cheque direct. That was over 25 years ago, and apart from having to replace 1 due to loss, they are still going strong, sad to say my ears are not and I now need enhanced hearing defenders. Having tried several 'Muffs' and not really got on with any of them, due to clanging defender/gunstock and even a blood blister below my ear, I tried the Cens. Enough said.  I do find the Howard Leights the best for MY use and I only get the occasional stock clang and I can live with that.

Rather than take another bow, I will try and do autograph signings, given the room  !      :angel:
Custom ear plugs are only good for a few years before you need to get new ones . your ears never stop growing so the shape of your ear changes as you age and the earplugs will no longer give you full protection . so after 25 years its likely yours are not giving you full protection even if you feel they are 

EDIT . i was told they last 2 to 3 years and they should be checked after that 

this is taken from a website about hearing protection . 

• Custom-Made Earplugs
    The Average Lifespan Of Custom-Made Earplugs Is 4 To 5 Years. Since Your Ears Keep Growing Throughout Your Lifetime, It Is Recommended To Take A Free Leakage Test Every 2 To 3 Years. The Ear Molds Can Be Used On A Daily Basis. In Addition, It Is Recommended To Keep Them Clean And To Disinfect Them For A Longer Lifespan.

Custom ear plugs are only good for a few years before you need to get new ones . your ears never stop growing so the shape of your ear changes as you age and the earplugs will no longer give you full protection . so after 25 years its likely yours are not giving you full protection even if you feel they are 

EDIT . i was told they last 2 to 3 years and they should be checked after that 

this is taken from a website about hearing protection . 

• Custom-Made Earplugs
    The Average Lifespan Of Custom-Made Earplugs Is 4 To 5 Years. Since Your Ears Keep Growing Throughout Your Lifetime, It Is Recommended To Take A Free Leakage Test Every 2 To 3 Years. The Ear Molds Can Be Used On A Daily Basis. In Addition, It Is Recommended To Keep Them Clean And To Disinfect Them For A Longer Lifespan.
I thank you for that, BUT having lost my hearing after 2 minor strokes, my right ear now only retains my glasses and the left ear leaves a lot to be desired, hence my move from the Emtech's to the Cens. The Cens have been a problem from day 1 and their after sales service is almost non existent. I now use the Howard Leights for clay birding and the Cens for the occasional day's game shooting.  I can recall reading a test of ear defenders in a shooting magazine, some 25 years ago and the small yellow foam type plugs CORRECTLY installed came out as the best, forming the best seal due to their expansion inside the ear. At my age I am not overly worried about my hearing loss, or my 'selective hearing' as the grandkids call it  !  

The fluorescent yellow foam ear plugs with a little adaptation, make superb 'sight indicators'  for fly fishing too. ☺️  Re-cycling at it's best  !

I can’t think of much in a negative way , for £190 I would have liked a case , but no big deal , one is winging it’s way from China as we speak ( 4.99 delivered ) ! 
hi, looked for a case for mine, cannot find any at that price, have you a link, please

thanks

hi, looked for a case for mine, cannot find any at that price, have you a link, please

thanks
This is the same case slightly different price by a few pence . The cans fit in nicely

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Protection-Carrying-Hard-EVA-Headphone-Large-Case-Earphone-Headset-Storage-Box/302848408232?hash=item46832bfaa8:g:isEAAOSw9mBbdsQC

It took about 4 or 5 weeks to arrive , 

At £190 I would expect a 'can bearer' never mind a bloomin case  !         😲
£190 , about 1/2  or  1/3 the price of a pair of CENS depending on the specification , and the CENS won’t even hold your cap on ! 

£190 , about 1/2  or  1/3 the price of a pair of CENS depending on the specification , and the CENS won’t even hold your cap on ! 
With regards to the Cens, mine have NEVER been satisfactory from day 1. In fact straight from the factory they had to be returned, due to their poor fit. I ordered mine just as they started the production of the 'soft' rubber variety and mine are of the hard plastic variety, which actually cut the inside of my ear. A remould of the ear was taken and a second pair duly arrived. Again the fit was just NOT right. Considering they were around £400 at that time, I felt that a better level of service should have been given. I had already had my Emtech's for some 10 years, made in a SOFT rubber, which had been great and very comfortable. I was having to deal with the local agent for Cens and he left a lot to be desired. I even left them with him at a Game Fair some three months after purchase, because a switch was faulty. (which, after some argument, was replaced under warranty)  I always felt that the agent did not give a toss, as he had already been paid by Cens or pure- tone, and any conversation with Cens, and they sent me back to the Agent. I was just going around in circles. I had bought the Cens after suffering a couple of strokes, which had left me deaf and they seemed to be the answer to the problem.  After 13 months, the coating had completely worn off and the faulty switch had once again, become faulty. After contacting Cens direct, the plugs went back for a 'service'. After 2 weeks they were returned to me along with a bill for £75.  So, you can see why I do NOT think a lot of 'Pure-Tone', Cens, or their agent, Hearing Solutions.  I still use them when Game shooting and with certain clay guns, that clang on my 'Muffs'.  

After some deliberation I decided to purchase a set of these 

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/pro-series/pro-impulse

found a 20% discount code so paid £100 for a mixed colour pair. 

I cant fault their customer service and the ear plugs are excellent IMO. They fit really well, as you’d expect and they really do a great job of dulling the sound of the shotgun blast. They’re very small and discreet, easy to insert and remove and I’m very glad I brought a set.

as mentioned, I also can’t fault their customer service (email contact, follow up emails on my order status and to check I’m satisfied with the product).

happy shooting

john,

Emtec NoiseBreaker for me, have zero complaints so far after approx 2 months use. 

Prior to that was using disposable foams which were just too fiddly. I also have a pair of over ear peltors but I have high cheek bones meaning the stock and bottom of my ear were in the same place - smack!

Back