custom grip?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryn12

Had an afternoon at the ground today and I've come to the conclusion that a standard stock simply doesn't let my trigger finger come naturally anywhere the trigger resulting in a lateral pull on the trigger and strain on my wrist and finger tendons I need a pistol or thumbhole shaped grip. I see Nill Griff (sp) do one but I don't really like the rest of their stock and would prefer something with a full Isis system integrated. Are there any stockmakers in the UK that can do this kind of work?

Had an afternoon at the ground today and I've come to the conclusion that a standard stock simply doesn't let my trigger finger come naturally anywhere the trigger resulting in a lateral pull on the trigger and strain on my wrist and finger tendons I need a pistol or thumbhole shaped grip. I see Nill Griff (sp) do one but I don't really like the rest of their stock and would prefer something with a full Isis system integrated. Are there any stockmakers in the UK that can do this kind of work?
My gun has a significant palmswell. I find it locates my hand well. Could be enough?

That could certainly help my wrist but I'm needing to build up the front of the grip and shave a lot off the top/back where the heel of the thumb goes so the hand goes forward (short index finger and big palm).

Thanks for the link, Nick seems to have gone down the lines I was thinking - custom fitted ergonomic stock with Isis system, cost is around what I was expecting as well. May seem a bit extreme but although I'm perfectly able to break clays with my 525 as it is, it's not perfect for me and I know I can be more consistent for longer. At the moment I know that I'm dropping shots from about midway through round three from fatigue due to having to compromise the position of my right hand which is building in tension in the muscles/ligaments from my index finger to my shoulder. Could also do to have my head in a slightly more upright position.

Dennis Stepney form UK gun repairs can make a full wooden stock with the handgrip of an evo-comp. You would be able to have an Isis fitted too. I'm hoping to get down to see him soon myself.

Dennis Stepney form UK gun repairs can make a full wooden stock with the handgrip of an evo-comp. You would be able to have an Isis fitted too. I'm hoping to get down to see him soon myself.
Be interested to know how you get on, I'm thinking early in the new year for getting mine done. Mrs Bryn has decided my 28" 525 is now hers so I'll be PXing my 525 premium gold and Mrs Bryn's Winchester against a donor gun when I finally find what I'm after.

This may be stating the obvious but have you tried other off the shelf guns to see if the grip fits better such as beretta which usually have palm swell and adj trigger ?

ips yeah had a look at berettas and anything else I could get my mits on, I think I got spoiled by the Anschutz 1913 supermatch which although not a thing of beauty, I had adjusted so that everything fitted just so, the grip/trigger was left set once I got it right but the comb/buttplate &etc was altered between positions and ranges (large notebook .). My new CZ .17HMR has a thumbhole stock, wouldn't have any other stock on a rifle, needs a wee bit of fettling but nothing I can't do myself.

Must be strange going from thumb hole rifle stock to shotgun stock maybe your muscle memory is playing tricks on you ?

Do you ever think you maybe over analyse things Dave :)

dskize, probably but when I know somethings not quite right it bugs, me especially when I know what needs done to put it right.

Think of it like a slow puncture in a tyre, you know you'll probably complete the journey if you keep pumping it up but the journey would be a lot easier if you just took it into a fitter and got it sorted right in the first place. I know exactly where my finger should be in relation to the trigger

You'll see increasing number of 'pistol' or 'ergonomic gripped stocks on the comp circuits now because its the shape that best suits the anatomy of the shooter's hand wrist and forearm, if you look at the traditional stock it hasn't evolved much since medieval times when it was just a tube stuck on a stick and the stock was based on the crossbow which was a cheap throw-away bit of kit for the 'levy' which took minimal skill and training to operate effectively. The basic game gun stock really hasn't progressed much from the musket, all very well for the occasional pheasant but not ideal for putting hundreds of carts a week through.

What I believe holds developement back is our preconceived idea of what a shotgun should look like. In my life-time we've moved from SxS to OUs and Semi-autos, fixed to multi chokes, we've started to introduce adjustable combs and buttplates (previously the preserve of target rifle shooters, we've only just started to think 'hang on that's not quite optimal', about how the hand positions the finger on the trigger.

Then we get on to addressing recoil and it's cumulative effect on the brain which is whole different thread.

Some interesting points there my friend.

I put my deposit on my EvoComp with UK gun repairs two weeks ago so I have complete sympathy, for me it's about that perfect mount every time but I still wonder if those little niggles maybe detract from the realities of our shooting,

I know I don't need it.....but

Dskize, of course you need it  :biggrin:  I very much look forward to seeing your new stock when you get it, not sure when I'll get a chance though, for the rest of this year it'll have to be mostly practice and my 4x4 is still off the road so I'll have to settle for shooting at Westlands, can't even get up the hill to Auldgirth 

Yes they are little niggles and it depends how much time and effort you want to put into it also I think there's a bit of inveterate twiddler in all blokes. Thing is Skeet is a game of perfection so even little niggles are significant, you know yourself if you get 99+ you might tie with Clayton if he has an off day, 96+ maybe 2nd under 94 and you're well out of it, OK so I'm dodging around in the 80s just now but that's the kind of level we should be aiming at if we want to be competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed , I shot a 96 yesterday in a comp at Morton and was still out the running by one...bloody missed the high 7 double to get my second 50 straight....Of course if I'd got that new stock already that would never have happened ;) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
great shooting mate good to hear you're putting it together Clayton&co better watch out when you get your new stock, how the XYZ did you miss the H7 pair, even I can hit that one  :lol: , have to admit to developing the ability to miss H1 for some inexplicable reason :wacko:

Well I popped in to see Dennis Stepney yesterday as I was working in the area. Wow, I don't know where to start. He is a thoroughly nice chap, very welcoming and incredibly knowledgeable. We discussed the pros and cons of different stock types and my requirements. I was able to see several examples of his work in various states of completion and i'm very impressed. After seeing me mount a gun a couple if times he diagnosed several problems I might encounter and how we could go about correcting them. I went with an open mind hoping his expertise would guide me in the right direction and I wasn't disappointed. Its nice to find people who try to find the best solution for the customer and not the most profitable for them. I hope to be able to test the new damping unit for the evo comp as this should be here within a few weeks. I can then go ahead with one or go for a more traditional stock if it is not suitable. Well if that is the case, Dennis is just as happy to alter an existing stock as he is making a new one. I currently use a full Isis system on a poorly fitting stock so I can evaluate the different recoil systems against each other, then I have to make a decision.

I really cant wait to go back and after talking for several hours, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

By the way, I neither work for Dennis, am related to Dennis or receive payment or discount. I'm just impressed by a true craftsman.

It's really good to know these kind of people are still out there. Either clay shooting seems to attract genuinely very nice people or I've been extremely lucky, so far Daffyd Marston, Peter Harris and Ed Lyons top of the list of people who have made a huge difference to my shooting in very little time.

Latest posts

Back