Counts looking good!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Still a little early due to the potential of rain but i understand from my Northern correspondents that Grouse numbers are 'strong to very strong' this year..  The couple of days i have booked are set to go ahead on a  socially distanced basis, I'm hoping that I might be able to pick up a few late days too if the stocks are high..

Is anyone else counting the sleeps?

Been offered a few pegs - seems a lot available with the travel bans etc holding off for now to see what happens in August /Sept with a second wave and possible restored lock down etc

Been offered a few pegs - seems a lot available with the travel bans etc holding off for now to see what happens in August /Sept with a second wave and possible restored lock down etc
Now looking inevitable, fortunately the days I've bought have a 'roll over of corona'd' clause .. so after last years challenges and this years cancellations unless they get stock off the moors end of the year it could all get very difficult, without considering WJ activities

Really, we have 5 days in so far and I am being offered more almost daily...
Heard of two reliable large moors that have cancelled already,and several this week recording diastrous counts......

The 240 acres I shoot on, for crop protection, normally has high numbers of pheasant and very low numbers of grouse. This year has low numbers of pheasant and I've yet to see a grouse.

I saw my first Deer yesterday, approached within 20 yards before slowly walking away. I was in a hide shooting at the time. Obviously it wasn't bothered by me or the gun.

High numbers of fox and badger. (Please note, I'm not suggesting shooting badger, it's just an observation)

High numbers of squirrels and rats.

That's just over the Sheffield to Derbyshire border.

My local grouse shoot seems unaffected and numbers are as normal.

My local pheasant shoot is not opening this year at all.

Both of those are the Sheffield side of the Derbyshire border.

So just judging on my local knowledge and what I've seen advertised on guns on pegs, it's a bit of a mish mash this coming season with some shoots operating normally, some not opening and some desperate to sell pegs.

One thinks that by careful selection and recce beforehand that a good season could be had. I would be very careful before committing my money though.

The land I do crop protection on is advertising shooting as normal and charging normal prices as is the adjacent land, yet if you read my first paragraph would you commit £s?

Going to be a few disappointed people but the die was cast in the early spring sadly,before an egg was laid!

Hmm words taste awful... 2 days cancelled this week ... 12th still on, but was always a walked day.
Even worse tasting words, today cancelled.. fingers crossed for Thursday/Friday loading, worst case we will try out the new Churchill's ground.

Back