Convert Perazzi Trap Gun to Sporting Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbravo

I own a Perazzi MX 8 with 39.5" barrels for trap.

But I'm not shooting trap anymore and now I'm shooting sporting clays.

The stock butt is adjustable and I think it's not a problem because I put this very low and my eye is aligned with the barrel top. :)

But I don't feel good shooting with this gun, I feel much better with other guns like beretta semi-automatics, I'm shooting much better with others...but I want to use my perazzi gun.

I can't just sell this gun and buy other one because in my country get a new gun permission is a pain in the ....

I think one of the problems is the weight, it's 8.79 pounds... what do you think about the weight?

What is the difference between a mx8 trap and a mx8 sporting? Is only the stocks or the difference is also in the barrels and in the bascule (action part). If is only the wood stocks I can easy buy a new ones!

In other words, can I convert my trap gun to a sporting clays gun?

Thank you guys for your help!

I dunno - lets assume thats a typo - and its 30.5inch or 29.5

Last edited by a moderator:
jdbravo,

Possibly you are confusing yourself with thinking about it all too much?

Can you shoot the gun well at Trap?

If so to start with just go out and enjoy shooting sporting clays, maybe, just maybe, you may wish to open up the barrel constriction just a little to half choke or in American terminology to Modified.

The weight at 8.79 lbs is certainly not an issue, in fact it may be ideal providing you are happy with the balance.

A dealer near me has an mx2000/3 trap which I picked off the shelf out of curiosity to try, I am a sporting shooter and it felt great. Haven't used one for sporting but can't see why not..:rolleyes:

Hello guys,

Sorry for the typo, the barrel length is 29,5"

Can you shoot the gun well at Trap?
Yes, with trap I felt well

I want to know what is the difference between a Perazzi gun for trap and a Perazzi gun for sporting, is only the high of the stock butt? or is the weight too?

Thanks,

There is no difference in the barrels [an MX8 will shoot bottom barrel first always]. There is no difference in the weight of the action. The stock on a trap gun will be lighter to produce a forward balance [probably a ratio to barrel weight 60%] You've already added 100gm with the adjustable comb but you could add more weight to the stock to make the gun quicker though you can't remove the buttpad on a perazzi to do this [glued on] Trap guns have less pitch and you might shorten it for easier handling. Those are your options, there's little point messing with the forend.

Oh, and you're probably still operating with fixed chokes 7 and 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back