Coaching

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Nick, there is no question that stress can affect your performance and that you have to master the mental side as well as the technical. In the past at least, this was greatly helped by shooting a lot of shells and competing in a lot of competitions.

There is no greater aphrodisiac for confidence than success. The more you shoot the more you learn and the more you will organically conquer your nerves too. There does appear to be a shortcut available these days through mental conditioning techniques but in the end being able to hit the targets helps too.

I think you two should just have some angry sex. I recon it would really clear the air...

Yes there is a problem between these two, I think it's about time the hatchet was buried to be honest.

I'm sure in the past there have been top shots that have not used 'formal' mental techniques but I bet they developed similar ways to cope under the stresses of competition. I also reckon that the number of top shots in the future who haven't used sports psychology/mental techniques will be few and far between.

Comparisons between past and present sportsmen is not massively helpful due to how sports and sportsmen have evolved over the years.....
Quite right.

And that was the point that I made......we all use the mental game every time we shoot ....in one form or another.....every time you tell yourself 'steady' 'breath' 'wait' 'let it come in further' ' wait for it and shoot it at the top' 'smooth'.......these are all parts of the mental game

The mental game is for winning....not just improving your game. The mental game will improve with each championship and each international. People should push their boundaries if they want to succeed.

I think you two should just have some angry sex. I recon it would really clear the air...
1. I am happily married as you well know Ed.

2. If I was not married we would not be in the same social circles anyway.

3. I do not have any air to clear.

Yes there is a problem between these two, I think it's about time the hatchet was buried to be honest.
I can assure you I have no problem as he does not come on my radar.

1) Sorry but already married to a complete and utter stunner

2) She chases me around the house quite regularly, often armed with a hatchet

3) Would choose forum submission instead in a heart beat

Why do you keep having a go at him then?
I don't.Would you mind speaking on pm rather than on here.....I do not want to bore the tits of people on what is a very interesting thread.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Correct......mental space.... :laugh:

Right got to get out of bed......work now needs the starship enterprise...this little computer just does not cut the mustard :wink:

My initial post was regarding an average club shooter approaching a recognised top shot for coaching/lessons and the intimidating nature of the initial approach.

This is now a slanging match with little substance to inform or help let alone addressing my first post. Any mods reading this please SHUT IT DOWN.

Ed.....over the top lad......but bet you don't get post cut as a golden child.

Tell me.....is there a theme starting to arise on this forum ....that every time interesting posts on coaching or mental training are being discussed.....at some point the usual suspects who do not value it .....come on to take it off line.

This is now a slanging match with little substance to inform or help let alone addressing my first post. Any mods reading this please SHUT IT DOWN.
It needs to be allowed to get back discussing the topic with those who are seriously interested in it. Anyone reading back through the posts can see very clearly who they are that are interested in the subject.

Usual suspects, same old same old - have removed a bunch of posts - please keep it on topic.

Matt you have just removed a post where I have asked people to keep it on topic.??

I also put that if people read back the 8 pages that they would be able to see all of us who were interested in the subject matter, so i am not quite sure why it has been deleted.

I have supported this post all along giving info and specifics from archive material......just like others.....so why delete my post? Could you not PM those that are taking it of line? By deleting it make it look that I am culpable... when in fact I am a contributor.

I do not understand.

As a joe blogs average sporting shooter i know that lessons from a top coach would improve my abilities, however!!! Approaching a coach and instigating the process causes anxiety due to their level and achievements. Probably a man thing? Am I on my own.
Hi Simon,

Like you, I'm a 'Joe Bloggs' shooter who's just trying to improve - I have goals in shooting, but these are conservative and, realistically, I don't expect to be winning any event's High Gun any time soon. That's just where I am with my shooting. I've only just reached a stage where I'm consistently batting mid-60s in reg comps, but it wasn't all that long ago I was batting in the late 20s-early 30s ex 100.

So the realisation was: do I just keep turning up for both reg comp's and practice days and fling lead down a range, and just hope to improve, or do I do something about it and seek the advice of someone who has probably forgotten more about shooting clays than I'll ever know? Someone with the pedigree of winning major events and with whom I'd progress?

There is, frankly, only one answer to these two questions: I needed a coach if I was to improve.

Don't be intimidated or "anxious due to their level and achievements" - remember, like the rest of us, they had to start somewhere, too. Grasp the nettle and get yourself a coach - it's amazing the progress you'll have made after only one half-day session.

And remember, coaching is like any other endeavour: you can't expect to speak fluent French or drive a car safely after only one lesson; take a series of lessons and you'll watch yourself improve.

As to which coach you should use, my only advice is take soundings from other shooters whom you respect; those who've used a named coach and can tell you about how they've made progress. I chose my coach on that basis and have seen my scores improve. I'm confident yours can too with the right coach.

Good luck. 

Matt you have just removed a post where I have asked people to keep it on topic.??

I also put that if people read back the 8 pages that they would be able to see all of us who were interested in the subject matter, so i am not quite sure why it has been deleted.

I have supported this post all along giving info and specifics from archive material......just like others.....so why delete my post? Could you not PM those that are taking it of line? By deleting it make it look that I am culpable... when in fact I am a contributor.

I do not understand.
You are right - I hid one too many posts - that one is back in. The others remain out of sight as they add little value.

Back