Clay Cartridges??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since jamie oliver had turkey twizzlers and chicken drummers banned the world hasn't been the same :rolleyes:

Yes I carry a very very small Swiss Army Knife on my keyring, often comes in handy! I also have a much larger Swiss Army Knife in my briefcase, has all sorts of tools and gadgets on on it, very handy bit of kit. I used to carry a fair size Normark lock knife in my briefcase, until a friend of mine, who is a Magistrate told me that such a thing was not acceptable to carry without "good reason"....and opening envelopes would not be seen as a good enough reason!!  What a bloody strange world we live in!!!
I have a Spyderco bug on my key ring - its tiny, but a blade you could shave with. Interestingly I forgot about it when flying to and around the US last year... was on my key ring and went through multiple checkpoints on both sides of the Atlantic without ever being questioned!   

Ha.....you feel old!!!!????   I took my first shot with an air pistol in 1962!!!!  :frown:  From thereafter it was all sorts of handguns and rifles, then to shotguns in about 85/86, then back to rifles in 2016.  :lol:
The 'Gat' was not really an airgun, it was inertia operated. Now, the Webley, that was a totally different ball game  !  (I still have a Gat somewhere). Just wish I still had the Webley too. I also had a BSA Scorpian, but you needed a block and tackle just to lift it and MY tackle just was not up to the job  !    :eek:

The 'Gat' was not really an airgun, it was inertia operated. Now, the Webley, that was a totally different ball game  !  (I still have a Gat somewhere). Just wish I still had the Webley too. I also had a BSA Scorpian, but you needed a block and tackle just to lift it and MY tackle just was not up to the job  !    :eek:
Correct.  :)  I used to own a flashy chromed one in my yoof and killed a good few collard doves with it, not so much by aiming conventionally but getting used to how it recoiled and shot by watching the pellet sail past the hapless birds. 

I have a Spyderco bug on my key ring - its tiny, but a blade you could shave with. Interestingly I forgot about it when flying to and around the US last year... was on my key ring and went through multiple checkpoints on both sides of the Atlantic without ever being questioned!   
Travelled across the pond after 9 11 and was sun bathing when I discovered a live .22 round in the pocket of my swimming shorts.Opps

Travelled across the pond after 9 11 and was sun bathing when I discovered a live .22 round in the pocket of my swimming shorts.Opps
Care to explain what a .22 round was doing in your swimming shorts?  

Comparison round? Padding?

:smile:

Ammo box bolted in wardrobe,put rounds back in ammo box,one round dropped onto bathing shorts and ended in the pocket.So went through airport security with no negative results.

Purbeck shooting school now insist on using their supplied cartridges on certain stands due to planning problems with noise. It astounds me that one person living a kilometer away can put a whole business in jeopardy,  the shooting ground has been there for years the complainant moved in some while later apparently.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live where I do, South Somerset, I realistically I have the choice of three places to shoot:  Brookbank, Mendip or Podimore.  If anyone knows of anywhere else I can shoot, that's less than 45 minutes from Ilminster, then please let me know!

Podimore is pretty much out for me because a. they're hardly ever open and b. my car bottoms getting through the potholes, so I avoid the place anyway.  That leaves Mendip or Brookbank.  I originally started at Mendip but the place is always a mud bath (things hopefully will improve when the new club house is finished) and their cartridge restriction is the worst I've come across.  The things they brand are actually Lyalvale made I believe and are absolutely filthy - never seen the barrels so sooted up.  And bloody expensive.  Plus, they don't have registered competitions.

That leaves me with Brookbank. They do have a cartridge restriction, as others have said, but there's no requirement to buy from them although I've found them very competitive.  And if you want, you can just buy 1 box!  As it happens, I really like the Hull Superfast, so I don't have a problem.

Places to shoot  near Haywards Heath are minimal too. i have Southdown, Horne, and Northall. there was a monthly shoot near Northall , run by Adrian from  Ashdown sporting clays. Apparently been there years, land changed hands, and then new owner says he "got complaints" about noise. I spoke to an immediate neighbor  who didn`t know there was a clay range there? so, maybe just an excuse.

Sad really, that so many grounds struggle with complaints , theft of machinery and so on. the bigger grounds are ok, but not every week for me anymore..

So, if anyone knows of a straw-baler nearby, let me know please! 

Latest posts

Back