Class averages

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryn12

Just out of curiosity I've been looking at some of the comp results and I see there are 4 classes in Clay shooting AA, A, B & C

Can anyone give me a very rough idea of the average scores per class, I assume as a % so I have an idea of when it would be worth starting to enter competitions. I'll be making up a sheet to take round when practicing so I can get an idea of where I'm at and what birds I tend to struggle with or if there are other factors.

Bryn

The classification averages for the current period can be found on the CPSA website (look in the Classifications tab on the left hand side of the Home page and scroll down to the Classification Periods and Cut-off points and click of issue 45 to show the current cut-offs for each class).

No real start off point for comps. Just get in there and start posting scores. You might find that the pressure of competition helps improve your averages.

DT

They are there to see on the CPSA site.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSAClassBandingsIssue45.pdf

They vary a touch each period because they are calculated in ESP as AAA being the top 5%, AA the next 10%, A being the next 30% etc.

You will need to average 68% to be sure to make B class. But you don't need to be shooting certain scores to enter competition. In fact it is shooting competitions that will drag you upwards. I know plenty of people who started hitting 25-30 and are now regularly over 50% in a shortish time. Enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that everyone, in match rifle it was X, A, B, C, D.

I'm not sure what discipline(s) I want to concentrate on, I'm at the stage of getting familiar with my gun and becoming at least competent at hitting as many different presentations of clays as I can so I'm not in a rush to enter comps, just get an idea of what I'm aiming towards, though if it was all driven and risers I'd be entering comps today :crazy:

All Round consist's of ,

25 DTL , 25 English Skeet , 25 ABT , 25 Englisg Sporting

Just jump in to comps. Best way to see every type of clay imaginable.

Unless you are really good though I'd pay 'clays only' ie don't fund the prize pot until you are competitive!

I've just got started and classified C, I'm seeing blokes in C class get nearer 85% than 70% so a world away from my scores.

There is the occasional talk about carpetbagging but that's a different conversation!

The folk hitting big scores in C class are just about to go up a class. They have had at least six months of rapid improvement. It all gets more stable around A class, where the learning curve is slower..

I believe the C class at Horne on Sunday was leading with a 90 when I left .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I believe the C class at Horne on Sunday was leading with a 90 when I left .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Like I say, April/May and October / Nov have the most imbalance. Just before grading 'corrections' apply.

Horne has a strong following of loyal locals who shoot there a lot, including all their open shoots. (Last reg shoot had 150 entries, only 75 of which were CPSA members). So they do suss the place out in terms of terrain etc. It's not that easy. I have had higher scores at 4 or 5 other grounds in the last year. Oddly, my Hornet scores have been rubbish.. Personal preferences I guess.. :)

Again you speak from the warm depths of delusion and scant knowledge.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/scores/ground-results?groundName=horne&issue=46

Click, take your time and study the scores, Hornet scores seem pretty damn high to me if anything. You'll find one or two shoots where only one or none managed to hit 90 !
Eh? Nothing wrong with the Hornet scores I looked at!?!? Just look at the guys who shot those Hornet scores. As for "none hitting 90" at Horne, what like this shoot with 19 scores won by A class on 86??? With no AA shots at it... https://www.cpsa.co.uk/scores/fixtures/46/60456

Latest posts

Back