Chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldblaster

Can anyone tell me if independently made choke tubes, are better than those supplied by say Browning, Beretta, Perazzi etc, or is it just "smoke and mirrors?" Does those extra shiny bits poking out the end of your barrels make a difference, or is it all in the mind?

Can of worms question...............

Seriously doubt any aftermarkets are going to be THAT much better than the ones in your 725.

Don't go relying on chokes for better scores. There is such huge variation in cartridges in terms of pattern quality that chokes are a very minor secondary element IMO. (And it is not always a function of cheap cartridges being poor and expensive being great). Change choke brand to balance the gun perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinker bell said:
What is a choke.....

It's what I try to do to the grey bast*** when he or she is asleep.

But it always sleeps with one eye open.

Bit like my Lesley.

I would try an aftermarket choke if it settles your head. I used mullers for a while, bit of a confidence builder believe the hype and the breaks are better.

In reality a tube is a tube!

I would still be using my muller's but since extending my stock they no longer fit in my gun slip.

Wow! twelve posts until Mullers were ,mentioned. Skeet UK must be dozing, or polishing his new shooting boots!

For the sake of full disclosure I do use Mullers.

Wow! twelve posts until Mullers were ,mentioned. Skeet UK must be dozing, or polishing his new shooting boots!

For the sake of full disclosure I do use Mullers.
Well...I don't want to be accused of ramming anything down people's deepthroats, I'm keeping my hand well away from the back of any heads. :eek:

I think Mullers, speak for themselves...JustChoking, I love my Mullers and I don't care who knows it!! :)

They might be different but the question is are they any better?

No choke manufacturer knows what ammo you are going to use and seeing that different ammo patterns differently through the same choke it becomes a bit of a minefield as to which is best.

If they said only use cartridge brand x with shot size y through this choke I would be a bit more of a believer that going aftermarket made an improvement.

I bought some Briley 1/4 chokes for my old Browning, I could not believe the kills, wow miles better... Or so I thought, when I measured them they were more akin a tight 3/8 constriction so I could have achieved the same result by buying a standard Browning 3/8 and it was just clever marketing. Tighten up the choke compared to a standard 1/4 and watch people be amazed at the breaks.

People also try to tell me the tolerances are better with aftermarket, however, the choke is based on the bore, if Beretta or Browning tolerances are so bad they cannot make a choke then how the heck will they get the bore right?

Also if the tolerances are all over the place what bore measurement do the aftermarket choke guys base their chokes on. They cannot increase the tolerances of their choke that much as they still have to accommodate the + or – tolerances of the gun maker.

There is not much you can do to a choke, it starts off at one measurement and tapers to another. You can play about with the length of the parallel section (or lack of it) and the length of the taper.  I think most gun manufacturers over the years  are not far off the mark now and without knowing your exact cartridge no one can say it's going to be better either.

You will find a cartridge choke combo that will suit you, it might be standard, it might be aftermarket but what I don't subscribe too is it will always be aftermarket that’s best.

Some aftermarket like Muller seem to have the hype and the confidence of their users sewn up, this placebo effect to confidence in shooting is definitely worth something to that individual but doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a wonder choke that will benefit everyone.

Just My opinion for what it's worth.

I have always found the best choke is, the one that matches the bit between my ears !  A bit like my cartridges really.

They might be different but the question is are they any better?

No choke manufacturer knows what ammo you are going to use and seeing that different ammo patterns differently through the same choke it becomes a bit of a minefield as to which is best.

If they said only use cartridge brand x with shot size y through this choke I would be a bit more of a believer that going aftermarket made an improvement.

I bought some Briley 1/4 chokes for my old Browning, I could not believe the kills, wow miles better... Or so I thought, when I measured them they were more akin a tight 3/8 constriction so I could have achieved the same result by buying a standard Browning 3/8 and it was just clever marketing. Tighten up the choke compared to a standard 1/4 and watch people be amazed at the breaks.

People also try to tell me the tolerances are better with aftermarket, however, the choke is based on the bore, if Beretta or Browning tolerances are so bad they cannot make a choke then how the heck will they get the bore right?

Also if the tolerances are all over the place what bore measurement do the aftermarket choke guys base their chokes on. They cannot increase the tolerances of their choke that much as they still have to accommodate the + or – tolerances of the gun maker.

There is not much you can do to a choke, it starts off at one measurement and tapers to another. You can play about with the length of the parallel section (or lack of it) and the length of the taper.  I think most gun manufacturers over the years  are not far off the mark now and without knowing your exact cartridge no one can say it's going to be better either.

You will find a cartridge choke combo that will suit you, it might be standard, it might be aftermarket but what I don't subscribe too is it will always be aftermarket that’s best.

Some aftermarket like Muller seem to have the hype and the confidence of their users sewn up, this placebo effect to confidence in shooting is definitely worth something to that individual but doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a wonder choke that will benefit everyone.

Just My opinion for what it's worth.
Yes I agree, it's just that nearly everyone seems to be using non marque chokes, and I was just wondered if anyone could provide a good reason. I am please with my browning chokes, they either shatter the clay or it goes sailing on by! There is never any chips or lumps, with any cartridge, so I'll stick with them.

Back