Cartridge Speeds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsLad

While reading another popular Forum I was reading a post on Cartridges and the FPS/Load. I decided to copy it into Excel to work out how long each load would theoretically take to cover 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. I don't know if all the available CLay Cartridges are present as I just went off the list posted. Calculations are feet per second/3 to get yards, then distance (20/30/40 or 50) divided by yards per second to get the '000s of a second each cartridge takes to travel that distance (theoretically). Please see attached excel file for results (sorted by lowest gr and fastest speed).

I run Ad Aware Antivirus daily and it says I have no virus's so file should be clean.

View attachment Cartridge Speeds.xlsx

I assume you haven't factored in the deceleration, which is enormous. :)

Here is an interesting chart 

Steel_Shot_Table.jpg

Thanks for that guy's, I have had trouble sleeping of late but,  I feel that you have just come up with a cure !!!!         :(

Found an online ballistics calculator for spherical objects and you're right it does slow down a lot. 

The 24g Cheddite Mack 3 HV with an fps of 1470 at constant velocity would take 0.102 seconds to reach 50 yards but taking into account drag factors it would take 0.181 seconds.

Amazing how the brain can calculate the lead required to hit the clay in an instant but has taken my brain most of the afternoon to replicate in a formula in excel, ..

Skeet, that's about correct, but I see it1s for steel shot.i imagine lead shot may be a bit faster out to 60yards? it can help to realize the slowing down of the shot, as it is not twice the lead, for double the distance,  but can increase a lot more.  which is where new shooters tend to miss,, experience of longer ranges, plus fast targets, take a bit of practice!

Skeet, that's about correct, but I see it1s for steel shot.i imagine lead shot may be a bit faster out to 60yards? it can help to realize the slowing down of the shot, as it is not twice the lead, for double the distance,  but can increase a lot more.  which is where new shooters tend to miss,, experience of longer ranges, plus fast targets, take a bit of practice!
Yep, only one I could find at the time.  But it does illustrate the point. :)

Latest posts

Back