Cartridge Reloading!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you were to buy new cases they may not be considered as re-loaded as they haven't been loaded before, but are home loads not re-loads as long as when checked they pass the weight and wad requirements?

I think all are banned under CPSA and FITASC for competition.

For the FITASC Rule see....

7.8 The cartridge shot load must not exceed 28 grams with a maximum tolerance 
of +2%. Shot must be spherical, of a regular diameter of 2.0 to 2.5 mm. 
 The use of dispersers, or any other unusual loading device is strictly 
forbidden, as is the use of reloaded cartridges. 
 Mixing different shot of differing dimensions and/or qualities is strictly 
forbidden, as is the use of black powder and tracer cartridges. 

In an international Fitasc competition the refs can stop you at any time during the competition and ask for 2 of your cartridges which they put in an envelope and take away for testing. I have had this done to me twice over the last few years during World or European competition.
Does anyone know if reloaded/ home loaded cartridges are banned from most shooting grounds for practice? I'm happy for competition that they cannot be used.

Someone who I was shooting with today (and whose opinion I always value), seemed to think that reloaded cartridges were banned from almost all grounds. I wondered if he had crossed wires with banned for competition, rather than banned for general practice use. He also said they were dangerous, something I can appreciate, but I assume if produced with care, may not be as dangerous as he suggests. He was referring to the powder quantity, which he thought could not be accurately loaded like off the shelf cartridges. He also said each cartridge would produce different speeds and therefore, I couldn't shoot with any consistency etc etc

Does anyone know if reloaded/ home loaded cartridges are banned from most shooting grounds for practice? I'm happy for competition that they cannot be used.

Someone who I was shooting with today (and whose opinion I always value), seemed to think that reloaded cartridges were banned from almost all grounds. I wondered if he had crossed wires with banned for competition, rather than banned for general practice use. He also said they were dangerous, something I can appreciate, but I assume if produced with care, may not be as dangerous as he suggests. He was referring to the powder quantity, which he thought could not be accurately loaded like off the shelf cartridges. He also said each cartridge would produce different speeds and therefore, I couldn't shoot with any consistency etc etc
A bit of general info. When I was into reloading I actually weighed every powder load before dropping it into the case, I doubt if commercial loaders do this as it is time consuming.

Never heard of grounds banning reloads for practise, maybe I am mistaken. Regarding your home brew shells, how would any one tell if you were shooting "home made" shells, unless they had a resident expert cutting them open and checking your ingredients. Don't you have a mate who is into the reloading game - who can give you the spiel and set you on your way.

By the way, a group of us got together and bought the ingredients to reload in bulk, shot was the main expense, we bought it in tons, so that brought the price down thankfully.

It's a great hobby, I loaded thousands in the winter months when the weather was crap. I reloaded for my full bore rifles as well, but that's another story.

Phil*

Does anyone know if reloaded/ home loaded cartridges are banned from most shooting grounds for practice? I'm happy for competition that they cannot be used. Someone who I was shooting with today (and whose opinion I always value), seemed to think that reloaded cartridges were banned from almost all grounds. I wondered if he had crossed wires with banned for competition, rather than banned for general practice use. He also said they were dangerous, something I can appreciate, but I assume if produced with care, may not be as dangerous as he suggests. He was referring to the powder quantity, which he thought could not be accurately loaded like off the shelf cartridges. He also said each cartridge would produce different speeds and therefore, I couldn't shoot with any consistency etc etc
My understanding is that home loads can be better and more accurately measured in terms of powder and shot than commercial shells so I don't know where you mate got this from.

I usually load about 6 boxes / hour in my MEC machines , and they are not progressive.

Progressive machines are not very accurate in powder measurements , especially with european powders.

I mainly use Nobel Sport , Baschieri Pellagri and gualandi powders and components.

My cost /box with new components (not reloaded) is just under 5 Euros /Box of 25 for competition shells with 28 grams of shot.

" Someone who I was shooting with today (and whose opinion I always value), seemed to think that reloaded cartridges were banned from almost all grounds. I wondered if he had crossed wires with banned for competition, rather than banned for general practice use. He also said they were dangerous, something I can appreciate, but I assume if produced with care, may not be as dangerous as he suggests. He was referring to the powder quantity, which he thought could not be accurately loaded like off the shelf cartridges. He also said each cartridge would produce different speeds and therefore, I couldn't shoot with any consistency etc etc "

You are so very lucky to have a friend whose opinion you always value, and who knows so much, Is this why you always shoot 100 straight?

I usually load about 6 boxes / hour in my MEC machines , and they are not progressive.

Progressive machines are not very accurate in powder measurements , especially with european powders.

I mainly use Nobel Sport , Baschieri Pellagri and gualandi powders and components.

My cost /box with new components (not reloaded) is just under 5 Euros /Box of 25 for competition shells with 28 grams of shot.
Unless you own a Dillon machine then it is very accurate

I totally agree Salopian.

My experience says that home-loaded / reloaded shells can be as accurate or more as commercial made ones.

The things that I have seen measuring top-of-the-line commercial brand shells are beyond what one would expect.

Powder differences of over 0,10 grams , wads not seated properly etc.

I do the bulk of my shooting with commercial shells , but they are surely not perfect.

John

I have NO reloading experience whatsoever other than the fact the only time I have ever heard different sounding pops and rather more frequent FTF's is when watching ole' timers shooting their own brews the empties of which they proceed to transfer to the opposite pocket. :)

Some are making it sound as though factory loads have less consistent powder measurements; not judging from the report sounds, or the results downrange for that matter.

It depends on the case quality, Premium cartridges also use better quality cases, usage can vary between once and about six times, although I only use a used case once.White Gold &  Sovereigns are good for reloads. Plenty of donors in the bin on each stand. Winchester Silvers with the 8 point crimp were brilliant. If a case has 8 point crimps it usually makes a stunning reload case.

In my day the 8 star crimps were to be found on Remington Peters and Winchester shells, buy them, shoot them and then reload them half a dozen times. As they were compression formed cases they were easy to reload, and looked the real deal when loaded into their box's.

Phil*

" Someone who I was shooting with today (and whose opinion I always value), seemed to think that reloaded cartridges were banned from almost all grounds. I wondered if he had crossed wires with banned for competition, rather than banned for general practice use. He also said they were dangerous, something I can appreciate, but I assume if produced with care, may not be as dangerous as he suggests. He was referring to the powder quantity, which he thought could not be accurately loaded like off the shelf cartridges. He also said each cartridge would produce different speeds and therefore, I couldn't shoot with any consistency etc etc "

You are so very lucky to have a friend whose opinion you always value, and who knows so much, Is this why you always shoot 100 straight?
I've never shot 100 straight, but regularly shoot 94+ ex 100 ESK which is reasonably consistent for someone who is still learning after only 7 months. 97 ex 100 being my best so far.

I miss your humour though or was it a genuine compliment?

It depends on the case quality, Premium cartridges also use better quality cases, usage can vary between once and about six times, although I only use a used case once.White Gold &  Sovereigns are good for reloads. Plenty of donors in the bin on each stand. Winchester Silvers with the 8 point crimp were brilliant. If a case has 8 point crimps it usually makes a stunning reload case.
I have just been looking at the two makes of cartridge that I use. One used most frequently is a brand called Solognac €160/ thou, don't ask me who makes it but it is made in Spain and France. The other is a brand called Mary Arm made in France a couple of hours up the road from me which are €200/thou. I have shot just as well with one as the other although to be fair I have not used the more expensive one enough to fully evaluate it but I have started. Anyway just looking at the cartridges the Mary Arm looks much better made, has an eight part crimp as opposed to six. If I was going to reload a cartridge I would defo use the Mary Arm, but my real question is how would you tell it is a reload assuming the cartridge in question was once fired and collected and reloaded immediately?

edit

strangely the Mary Arm has a high silvery (Zinc plated?) base 20mm which looks cheap and crap, the cheaper Solognac uses a low brass 8mm which controversially looks better because you know they are not guilding the lily ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a chap going through the bins and picking out winchester silvers the other day.i thought it a bit strange i guess he must reload.

I use a Hornady 366, 400-500/hr depending on the caffeine load.  I use Alliant powders but have used almost every brand in the past.  I would avoid ball powders for a number of reasons.  Checking the powder drops with a RCBS 1010 balance I get less than 0.1gr slop.  I seldom load to the max so 0.1gr is nothing.  Pretty much nothing anyway innit?  For the past few years I've been loading only Remingtons.  I never reload a case more than 2-3 times cuz they start to get dirty.  Mechanically most good quality cases can do 8-10.  I get the Rems for free so why bother.   I use nothing but recipes out of the powder manufacturer book. 

The critical aspect of the press is the primer seating since every brand of case is shaped differently inside.  I have to adjust the seating punch if I change from Rems to Feds to whatever.  Different brands are different lengths enough that the crimp die may be adjusted too.  That's why I just load one kind.

I've never shot 100 straight, but regularly shoot 94+ ex 100 ESK which is reasonably consistent for someone who is still learning after only 7 months. 97 ex 100 being my best so far.

I miss your humour though or was it a genuine compliment?
That is great for 7 months. Keep at it.

Latest posts

Back