Cartridge prices

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only been shooting for three years and in that time the price of cartridges has gone up quite a bit. But saying that I still think they are good value for money.The price of carts for a round of a 100 clays is less than £20,when you compare it with the price of petrol and entry fees it is the least expense of the day.

I have only been shooting for three years and in that time the price of cartridges has gone up quite a bit. But saying that I still think they are good value for money.The price of carts for a round of a 100 clays is less than £20,when you compare it with the price of petrol and entry fees it is the least expense of the day.
More than anything, people hate change, especially when it is in the wrong direction. When I started, I thought `ooooh, cartridges are only 10p each, thats pretty good`. But of course now I resent them being nearly double that.. 

The trouble is, it is a bit psychological,fuel and cartridges payed for in advance usually unless you have to fll up,although a cost,entry fees payable on the day money out the wallet.

When you need to buy cartridges £150-200/1000 its a bit ouch, all in the head at laying out that amount but that will last for 9/10 registered shoots.

I don't know what you lot are inferring, I just thought of a good idea. Do you mean to say its been done before?

Would you like to hear about Ronald Milhench?

Nicola,

Thank you for paying attention.

I think we need to evaluate what we want out of our sport and how much we want to pay for it.

If we all realised that there is not a fantastic amount of difference between the very best cartridge and the worst it would be a start.

I think we could all cope very well with a budget priced cartridge if we had to, it is just when we have a surplus of cash and visions of greatness that we trip ourselves up by wasting money on 'premium' brands.

Nothing at all wrong with Firsts , FBlu, Cheddites etc., If you point them in the right place.

I don't think prices will come down at all. All you have to do is boycott greedy retailers or manufacturers.
Spot on! But until anyone achieves greatness with a budget shell we all think we need them.

I don't know what you lot are inferring, I just thought of a good idea. Do you mean to say its been done before?

Would you like to hear about Ronald Milhench?
Wasn't he the guy from the midlands that got 3 years for forging Harold wilsons signature?

Spot on! But until anyone achieves greatness with a budget shell we all think we need them.
that is a very true statement, after all many great shooters have won titles with far from high end guns then been snapped up by a sponsor to shoot one of theres. History Will then have us believe said shooter achieved greatness with that gun, but he didnt he was given it after the event. Maybe titles have been won with cheapo shells but the above scenario came into effect. Anyway i think cheapshell has hit the nail on the head, a good post.

that is a very true statement, after all many great shooters have won titles with far from high end guns then been snapped up by a sponsor to shoot one of theres. History Will then have us believe said shooter achieved greatness with that gun, but he didnt he was given it after the event. Maybe titles have been won with cheapo shells but the above scenario came into effect. Anyway i think cheapshell has hit the nail on the head, a good post.
bang on! Or a shooter wins with a mid range/budget shell and the sponsor uses it to push the top end shell..... nothing is ever straight forward!

Thats probably correct as well ed

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be good to see is one of the gun shop owners come on here and tell us what they pay for shells and how much mark up they make, or even better one of the manufactures tell us what it costs to make 1000 shells and then add the distribution costs etc.. Then we could see if we are getting value for money or not ...... My guess is no one ever will part with that info

So we pays our money and takes our choice, cheap shells for me then !!

I dont think there is a huge amount to be made either by manufacturer or retailer. Times are hard for all businesses and competition dictates price in a lot of cases. I have been in business for nearly 30 yrs i have had a manufacturing business in the past and the difficulty is that if competition becomes too harsh everyone drops mark up to a minimum and no one makes any money. We all have to make a profit and that includes cartridge manufacturers and retailers. The market cost it what it is i am afraid.

"My guess is no one ever will part with that info"

Would you ? . . . . . . . . . . . . . only if you wanted to ruin your own business !!!

"My guess is no one ever will part with that info"

Would you ? . . . . . . . . . . . . . only if you wanted to ruin your own business !!!
Very true. I am a manufacturer. Much of my product range is driven to be sold at very low profit, or loss in some cases. Where there is occasional opportunity to make a good profit on something, you have to grab it. With cartridges, you may find a price war on the lower end stuff (good for many) and a price rise on the top end stuff, where folk don't care. It costs at least £60 to do a registered shoot, so another £4 for premium carts is worth it to some folk.

this info really isnt difficult to find out. the relative % contribution from cartridges isn't bad. I do not know what manufacture costs are but can take a guess based on a suitable return.

One must also remember a point made by weber there are many logistical costs incurred ie storage and presumably licences, insurance etc. Much of the percentage mark up Will be swallowed up by these overheads.

This is an expensive Sport/Hobbie, get over it. It isn't the 1980's anymore, when shooting was cheap. I talk to shooters of that era and they were shooting three, four shoots a week. a couple of registereds on a sunday, and loads of practice in the summer weekday evenings. Brilliant!

Those days are gone I'm affraid. Unless like a lot of the top shots in this Country, you have a few quid or rich parents.

The "Let's Boycot  Manufacturers" Brigade are, in my opinion, as bad as the "Let's ban Guns" Bellends. They can never tell you how much a Cartridge Manufacturer makes on a thousand shells. Yes, they make Profit. Greed isn't another word for Profit. They don't make nearly as much as you think. I know.

Now, for every Cartridge I pull out of my Skeet vest, there is a Clay I'm going to shoot, or in most cases, miss. Now when I look at that Cartridge, a mid price, mid range shell, and I work out the price of that single shell, let's say 15, 20 pence, and I think about what goes into making them shells. The Case, the Brass head, Primer, Powder, Wad, lead, Ink, The inner Box, the outer box, Labelling, the Machine operator and energy to run the machines. Transport, Logistics, Admin staff, Rates, Taxes, Insurance, (Waste disposal, which has to be paid for) Staff wages, Vehicles, Retailers, the list goes on.

Does that amount of cost/work go into a Clay? I doubt it. I never give the cost of them a second thought when they fly off into the distance.

There is a hell of alot of cost that goes into making a Cartridge. That is a fact.

Let's Boycott Manufacturers, If these firms were to disappear, I believe with all the red tape, they would not be replaced. That's great. what the f*** do I do on a Sunday then?. Read the Bible and go for a walk? f*** that. Do you think the firms on foreign soil will send us free Cartridges? Nope.

There are to many People in this Country who would like to stop me from Owning a Gun and Making lots of noise on a Sunday morning with it.. Why don't you worry about them than the price of the Sport?

I dislike paying £150, £200 for anything, especially something I'm going to throw in the bin. But when I work out the positive things about Shooting clay targets, the friendships, the excitment, the getting out and about all over the country, and, in this Sport, being able to stand behind and compete against some of the Greatest shots in the World, then in my opinion it is a price worth paying.

I wish it was cheaper as I would do more of it. As I'm sure every other shooter in this Country would.

This is an expensive Sport/Hobbie, get over it. It isn't the 1980's anymore, when shooting was cheap. I talk to shooters of that era and they were shooting three, four shoots a week. a couple of registereds on a sunday, and loads of practice in the summer weekday evenings. Brilliant!

Those days are gone I'm affraid. Unless like a lot of the top shots in this Country, you have a few quid or rich parents.

The "Let's Boycot  Manufacturers" Brigade are, in my opinion, as bad as the "Let's ban Guns" Bellends. They can never tell you how much a Cartridge Manufacturer makes on a thousand shells. Yes, they make Profit. Greed isn't another word for Profit. They don't make nearly as much as you think. I know.

Now, for every Cartridge I pull out of my Skeet vest, there is a Clay I'm going to shoot, or in most cases, miss. Now when I look at that Cartridge, a mid price, mid range shell, and I work out the price of that single shell, let's say 15, 20 pence, and I think about what goes into making them shells. The Case, the Brass head, Primer, Powder, Wad, lead, Ink, The inner Box, the outer box, Labelling, the Machine operator and energy to run the machines. Transport, Logistics, Admin staff, Rates, Taxes, Insurance, (Waste disposal, which has to be paid for) Staff wages, Vehicles, Retailers, the list goes on.

Does that amount of cost/work go into a Clay? I doubt it. I never give the cost of them a second thought when they fly off into the distance.

There is a hell of alot of cost that goes into making a Cartridge. That is a fact.

Let's Boycott Manufacturers, If these firms were to disappear, I believe with all the red tape, they would not be replaced. That's great. what the f*** do I do on a Sunday then?. Read the Bible and go for a walk? f*** that. Do you think the firms on foreign soil will send us free Cartridges? Nope.

There are to many People in this Country who would like to stop me from Owning a Gun and Making lots of noise on a Sunday morning with it.. Why don't you worry about them than the price of the Sport?

I dislike paying £150, £200 for anything, especially something I'm going to throw in the bin. But when I work out the positive things about Shooting clay targets, the friendships, the excitment, the getting out and about all over the country, and, in this Sport, being able to stand behind and compete against some of the Greatest shots in the World, then in my opinion it is a price worth paying.

I wish it was cheaper as I would do more of it. As I'm sure every other shooter in this Country would.
WELL SAID

Back