Buy or hire - that is the question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

So newbie shooter here - having had just 3 lessons (and a couple of fun corporate shoot days) I'm hooked.   So far - pretty common stuff eh.

I'm a scuba diver, and in our club one of the biggest mistakes people make is buying the shiniest, prettiest thing they can afford very soon after they've been bitten by the bug.  They then replace it with something more suitable.  And probably replace that, and probably then replace it again.   Expensive eh?

I'm learning to shoot at Sporting Targets, and had a chat with a chap in the office in the back of the shop.  He suggested not buying a gun for the first year - and I kind of like this approach.  It gives me chance to understand what discipline I'm going towards, and not make the mistake of buying the wrong thing.   I've done that many times with the scuba kit ..   

Now - a great (sensible, if not fun) approach.  But here's my problem.

I don't have a gun - and so have to hire.  OK at Sporting Targets (£6 - bargain) - but plenty of other places don't seem to hire (eg Sherington).   I'm told that if I can find someone who has a gun, if they are happy to accompany me on a shoot - then that is fine - but as a newbie - I don't know anyone.  I'm hardly going to get much success approaching someone at a club I've never been to before as say "I know you don't know me - but can I use your gun ?".

Do most places hire ?  Are they happy to hire on production of a license ?  Or should I just restrict myself to Sporting Targets for the foreseeable future until such time I'm ready to purchase ?

The problem with hiring is that every place you go they will have different guns, with different stock lengths, drop, cast and balance.  Not sure how often you shoot, but if it were once a fortnight and you pay 6 quid each time that's just over £150 for the year.  If you buy a second hand well known make of gun (Beretta, Browning or Miroku) you'd probably be able to re-sell it again without losing much more than that.  It would then mean that you shoot with the same gun every time, getting used to the same sight pictures and the same balance and handling.

Try a few different ones at Sporting Targets with whoever you are having lessons with and I'm sure they'll be able to advise on what fits you best of the main makes and go from there.

I have to agree with Bebo, the idea of hiring guns for a year is a non starter. Buy a Miroku and sell it a year later, you prolly won't though.  :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sure that if YOU raise the question, you will receive the right advice from your Instructor. I have even accompanied some of my new shooters to look at their first guns, most of whom still have them too.

I would always recommend buying a gun early for all the reasons above.  It will also make you want to go shooting more regularly, which will speed up your learning curve.  The last thing a beginner needs is reasons not to go shooting, and having to go somewhere and use a potentially "unknown" gun, would get wearing after a while I expect.

Good that you are getting lessons, and get some input on gun fit too - so many people assume that they are "average" and that an "average" gun will work for them, but its surprising how many would benefit from small adjustments.  In my view, this is even more important for beginners who have enough things to worry about and they need the gun to be helping them, otherwise they will find themselves having to correct for bad gun fit, rather than poor shooting.

Budget wise, aim for the Brownings and Berettas of this world.  Basic models are fine (think Browning 425s, 525s, Beretta silver pigeons etc.).  Don't worry about buying secondhand, they have years of life in them and you really don't need the latest model (but if you would like it, then why not).  Around a £1000 for a good example, but you might get one for considerably less with a bit of haggling and shopping around.

If you need something more "budget", then Lanbers and similar are good.  Aim to spend around £500-600.  Just steer clear of the very bottom of the market (e.g. Baikals) because they may be cheap, but they are fairly agricultural and won't do your shooting any favours.  

Unless you are going to shoot only a "trap" discipline, get a sporter.  You can shoot skeet with it, all sporting disciplines, game if you want and trap well enough to get a flavour of it.  You can then decide what you enjoy doing the most.

Investing £1000 in a decent quality sporter now, will do you more good than harm and leave you with something you can sell on with minimal loss.  

Anyway, like diving (which I used to do a lot too), isn't buying and trying out new kit part of the fun?

I was at sporting targets last week and if there is one that suits you there are some good starter guns in the shop at right money and im sure they will let you try them first then after a year you can sell on or px up if you get one of the better makes listed above. 

I would buy one so you aren't tied to grounds where you can only hire guns.  I think it's beneficial to get round as many grounds as possible, this is what I've been doing over the last 8 months and I'm convinced that it's helped my shooting.

As said above if you buy a second-hand Silver Pigeon and then want a better gun in the future then you won't lose a great deal on it.  I started out with a 687 and now shoot a very nice handling Blaser.

Some excellent advice above.

As an ex diver I know where your coming from but it's different. In order to shoot you really only need one piece of kit...a gun!! now if that doesn't fit and it's different each week you will soon get despondent.Have a chat with your instructor and he will be able to point you in the right direction as to gun fit.Most second hand guns will resell for similar money a year later and you will probably keep it anyway.

good luck with your new sport

PMG63

Must agree with the above. Most people swap their first gun within the year, so it makes good sense to buy something that will sell on easily. In real terms this means £750 to £1000, but be aware a brand new Browning 525 (for example) could be bought for around £1200 - 1300.

So, as has been said, you'd be about right getting your own gun, and then seeing how it goes.

Good luck!

ps if you're anywhere near me, you're more than welcome to come and have a try with my Guerini and I know my mates would be totally happy for you to have a go with their guns too. Most shooters would be the same............ for a while.

PS My slightly lefty political tendencies doesn't mean the advise wasn't good. Go and pick up a reasonably priced beretta, browning or miroku and get as many cartridges through it as you can. You won't regret it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Seems gun ownership might be the way to go. 

Next time I'm in Sporting Targets (I might pop up this weekend for a lesson if they have space) I might see what guns are available in the shop.

If anyone is up there - and you hear my welsh dulcet tones - feel free to say hi ;o)

I'm up at sporting targets 4-5 days most weeks happy to answer any questions whilst I'm between lessons, although the advice above is very sound.

thanks all ... very enthused by all the friendly and positive help on this forum.  Great community !

Latest posts

Back