British Open, Garlands

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

I’m not entered for this, but looking at the results it sure looks a low scores affair. Sometimes that can mean a great course that is a firm fair test. Other times it can mean it was just brutal. Interested to hear what anybody shot it thought. A AA mate of mine did say he didn’t straight a stand, so the something for everybody claim might be a bit of a stretch?

It was brutal, no let up! The top boys will always put in a half decent score but for Joe Average it was really difficult, not helped by heavy showers and strong wind at times.

Shooting it Friday, I like a testing round, be interested to know what has made it brutal though?

Agree with Chippy quite a few stands just felt awkward with the stand positioning. On the simmo pairs your timing had to be absolutely spot on and you had to be very quick indeed to get on the second bird. The were a lot of high fast birds not showing up too well against the sky. Overall you had to be on top form to get anywhere near your average. I’m B class now and shot 155/200 at the Worlds, 100/120 at the Pro One and 73/120 yesterday!
As mentioned the heavy showers and wind didn’t help.

I’ve not booked on either, despite it being my relatively local and regular ground. I did toy with with idea but work is just too busy at the moment and time off is rare.

I do understand that a major championship should be a challenge, but we see on a weekly basis that most shoots sort the winners from the losers without the need to demoralise the mortals.

Problem is you can’t vocalise anything either, I’ve certainly learned not to comment on social anymore. I‘ve made a few remarks in the past about shoots being stiff and you just get shot down in flames, often with similar remarks.

I’m trying to be selective now, to me there’s no point splashing £60 odd on a comp , knowing I’m likely to come away bruised and not knowing where I was on half the stuff. With the spiralling cost of this sport I can’t afford to shoot 3 times a week to become ‘good enough’ to take part either.

Im sure Steve has put on a great event, positive comments will flow and a worthy winner will be crowned. I wish all those that enter the very best and hope they enjoy it 👍

Shot it today and thought was a very decent round, despite shooting what I would consider 3 of the easier stands poorly I still managed to achieve my average which was pleasing. Although my score would have qualified comfortably for the final for the previous 2 days unfortunately not quite enough today, whilst a little disappointed the journey is a tedious shocker and will not be missed.

I shot this yesterday in pretty much perfect conditions barr it being very muggy at times and swarmed by flys and wasps. I thought the course was excellent, good variety of targets and settings, everything there to be hit, buy no real gimme stands. High light of the course being the midi crosser at stand 4, saw a huge gap on it and broke it twice with 3/8 and f blue. Only thing I struggled with was setting my feet right on some stands. Finished on 102 in A class which is 4 to 5% above my average and has seen me qualify for Sunday which is nice, still let some silly ones go as well, but overall was pleased with how I shot. Pleased I made the effort to go as thought it was a very good round of clays for a British championship.

I also shot the British yesterday and truthfully, apart from two stands didn’t think it was any harder than a stiff Sunday shoot.
Yes stand 4, with the long midi was a decent target, but the first bird,a standard flopping over the hedge !! Also the sim pair of white and green R to L crossing and incoming was a good stand, but the ref did warn people to watch out for incoming scraps of green clay if you shot it late.

It took us 3.5 hours to get round and at the end I was nackered, then had the joys of the m42 and a 3 hour drive home ☹️

I shot this yesterday in pretty much perfect conditions barr it being very muggy at times and swarmed by flys and wasps. I thought the course was excellent, good variety of targets and settings, everything there to be hit, buy no real gimme stands. High light of the course being the midi crosser at stand 4, saw a huge gap on it and broke it twice with 3/8 and f blue. Only thing I struggled with was setting my feet right on some stands. Finished on 102 in A class which is 4 to 5% above my average and has seen me qualify for Sunday which is nice, still let some silly ones go as well, but overall was pleased with how I shot. Pleased I made the effort to go as thought it was a very good round of clays for a British championship.
Well done and good luck for Sunday.

Certainly nothing brutal. If you've shot garlands this year at any time then that's what you got. You had to be on your game but defo not brutal. And as always with Steve it's all about the deceptive line of stuff. I shot it with my side by side and shot 90. Had fun.
Jasper.

Nope, didn't even place. The whole concept is complete bollocks.
I kind of felt the same and tried to explain the process and my perceived unfairness to my other half, she is a keen athlete and basically compared it to the heats leading up to the final, 4 heats, top 2 in each heat makes it to the final, some slower runners qualify to the final and some faster runners miss out but nobody sees that as unfair do they?

Back