British Open, Garlands

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done and good luck for Sunday.
Went and shot it yesterday and my 5% above average from Friday balanced out to 5% below on final day. Finish up on 56 ex 75, a class was won by Harry Jude I think on 70. Dropped 5 targets in the first 2 stands and just bleed targets awayfrom there onwards only atraigting 2 stands out of 10. Another excellent course with a good mix of targets some needing a decent gap again. Just nit quite at the races yesterday and a couple of times I was just flush out of ideas what to do. Looking at the scores even some of the top boys got a bit beat up, great shooting from Sam. Well worth going though and a great set of targets, good atmosphere around the ground. All in all I would say the whole shoot has been a success and a good close to the majors for the season.

I kind of felt the same and tried to explain the process and my perceived unfairness to my other half, she is a keen athlete and basically compared it to the heats leading up to the final, 4 heats, top 2 in each heat makes it to the final, some slower runners qualify to the final and some faster runners miss out but nobody sees that as unfair do they?
get what you’re saying but don’t feel that translates to shooting. You shoot 120 birds, then a 75, then yet another event, 25? To me it’s pointless other than dragging it out to put on a show for the crowds. (The live feed worked for that right?)
so you run and win the marathon, then have to compete in the 800m, then the 100m sprint?
imagine if every CPSA comp was run in this format. You shoot the 100 bird comp, the have to compete again in a 25 bird to see who won?
imagine if every motorsport race was the same or any sporting event for that matter. It devalues the first event and kinda makes it pointless. Why not just have a 50 bird qualifier? Or isn't it your Class from all the registered comps you shot throughout that year that qualify you to shoot in that class in the first place?
for me the whole CPSA scoring needs a shake up and revision, far to many loop holes and ways to cheat the system full stop, but will save that rant for another thread.

I saw tonight that Sam Green has won it and many congratulations to Sam. I can’t help feeling sorry for James Attwood shooting that incredible 116 and I’m not sure that he has come anywhere!
100% agree.

And some had their class changed for finals due to classification change over. 🙄

get what you’re saying but don’t feel that translates to shooting. You shoot 120 birds, then a 75, then yet another event, 25? To me it’s pointless other than dragging it out to put on a show for the crowds. (The live feed worked for that right?)
so you run and win the marathon, then have to compete in the 800m, then the 100m sprint?
imagine if every CPSA comp was run in this format. You shoot the 100 bird comp, the have to compete again in a 25 bird to see who won?
imagine if every motorsport race was the same or any sporting event for that matter. It devalues the first event and kinda makes it pointless. Why not just have a 50 bird qualifier? Or isn't it your Class from all the registered comps you shot throughout that year that qualify you to shoot in that class in the first place?
for me the whole CPSA scoring needs a shake up and revision, far to many loop holes and ways to cheat the system full stop, but will save that rant for another thread.
If all the top shots shot on the same day, winner takes all without the shoot offs!!! But this is fairer as different days, different weather/winds.
As I said earlier, everyone knows the score before entering! So the first 3 days are all about qualifying!!

Unless I am mistaken the CPSA dictate to members what the format for championships is to be. Would it be an idea to put several options to members to see what they actually want?
My choice would be just to have the 120 birds and take your chance with the weather. I was unlucky this year but accept you have to take pot luck. That would save the time, effort and cost of having to return for a final. Also should save money for the CPSA not having to fund a final and thus, pigs might fly, allow a reduction in the entry fee in these hard times! 😀

If all the top shots shot on the same day, winner takes all without the shoot offs!!! But this is fairer as different days, different weather/winds.
As I said earlier, everyone knows the score before entering! So the first 3 days are all about qualifying!!
3 days? Weds Thurs Fri & Sat being four? One rather large quirk on the current format I’ve never really liked is the multiple options some have in order to “qualify“ and the final day is a free for all bun fight, ones own view being that if you qualified in a class or category but not as one of the highest scores on day then that’s what you should be shooting for, your qualification not the overall title.
Another being what happens when you get a massive entry in a class one day and only a few on another, the chances of qualifying are “different“ and no one knows until the last re classification change.
In the four days 1050 odd entries, near 160 on finals day near 1 in 7 chance of a return, whilst not perfect the first past the post option does give the wild card a chance of an upset.
Its an opinion, just that

Yes I said it usually takes a few days (for the list to be published) and then the cheques follow?
Ah, Im bad, apologies for my mid-reading, with this event being sold out within days the funds are all banked (all are competition entries) and the numbers in class will be known before event so it’s feasible that the prize list would have been available prior to day 1?

Ah, Im bad, apologies for my mid-reading, with this event being sold out within days the funds are all banked (all are competition entries) and the numbers in class will be known before event so it’s feasible that the prize list would have been available prior to day 1?
Spot on Richard, but you have to remember we have a very amateur organisation running our sport, you only had to watch the live shoot off on Sunday pm to realise how amateur it is , 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
3 days? Weds Thurs Fri & Sat being four? One rather large quirk on the current format I’ve never really liked is the multiple options some have in order to “qualify“ and the final day is a free for all bun fight, ones own view being that if you qualified in a class or category but not as one of the highest scores on day then that’s what you should be shooting for, your qualification not the overall title.
Another being what happens when you get a massive entry in a class one day and only a few on another, the chances of qualifying are “different“ and no one knows until the last re classification change.
In the four days 1050 odd entries, near 160 on finals day near 1 in 7 chance of a return, whilst not perfect the first past the post option does give the wild card a chance of an upset.
Its an opinion, just that
As proved in years gone by, it’s one of the top shots that bags the trophy/title.
First 4 days for qualifying 👍, I couldn’t edit 🙃 once posted.
I do agree with what you said (multiple opinions etc) if your not one of the top scorers on the day, you can only shoot for class wins!!

Spot on Richard, but you have to remember we have a very amateur organisation running our sport, you only had to watch the live shoot off on Sunday pm to realise how amateur it is , 🤷🏼‍♂️
I must confess I didn’t watch the live feed, instagram I think, have watched a few ISSF Olympic Skeet you tube offerings, even with the flash clays it’s hardly compelling, english Sporting with the distances involved even a harder watch, shooting will I fear never be a spectator sport, and that’s from a keen clay basher,

I was there all five days and have to say , we have major issues with our sport.First of all I think when we enter we should nominate the class we are competing in ! Not enter in our CPSA class , shoot poorly and not qualify for the final but then get through as a alternative qualifier such as lady , colt, veteran, etc,. next thing we know we will be having transgender , non-binary or whatever you can think up.
Second , we need qualified referees who know the job , can see and their decision is correct and final , not subject to " he hit that Ref" and therefore we need to pay them correctly, not less than McDonald's or Aldi cashier rates.
Also if you have qualified for the final day but do not intend to attend and shoot why not let the organisers know so that the next qualifier can take your place?
Finally I think the course was very good , good targets , something for everyone . It has given me new enthusiasm to get out shooting more often
Tin hat on and awaiting criticism.

Agree with above, refs doing a fantastic job and need to be paid accordingly and yes, ladies, colts, juniors and vets etc should pick their category and stick with it. I must admit that most registered shoots I do ask if I want ladies, class or vets 🫣😂😂

Back