Brain Chokes.. The "Choke - in - Choke"

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the BS you get fed in many areas of life where exploitation of the weak of mind are vulnerable they will go for it. I used to be into HiFi in a reasonably big way and you won't get fleeced by BS more than anywhere else, some of the sh*te that gets blabbered is breath taking. Shooting is no different. If you offer a product that is going to deliver , no questions asked, some will buy it and absolutely swear by then... I am only glad I have a fixed choke gun it is one less distraction to worry about.

But I have to say people do not give the Placebo effect  enough credit. A guy I shoot with from time to time fitted a 50mm high rib to his DT11 and raised the comb to suit. First couple of weeks he is shooting great and its all down to his new high rib, I say to him give it a few months... back to his normal, which is actually not bad but if he had been able to keep his concentration levels as high as he did in the previous two months, when the rib was first fitted, he would still be shooting above the norm. In short change makes you think about what is going on and very often it has a beneficial effect... for a wee while :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But I have to say people do not give the Placebo effect  enough credit. A guy I shoot with from time to time fitted a 50mm high rib to his DT11 and raised the comb to suit. First couple of weeks he is shooting great and its all down to his new high rib, I say to him give it a few months... back to his normal, which is actually not bad but if he had been able to keep his concentration levels as high as he did in the previous two months, when the rib was first fitted, he would still be shooting above the norm. In short change makes you think about what is going on and very often it has a beneficial effect... for a wee while :)
I remember posting on a thread about aftermarket chokes with the exact same thought, someone asked if they were worth the extra over standard chokes and do they give better results.

My answer was Weight difference, added bling or placebo effect do make them worth it, if they give you confidence then definitely use them. If you are asking the question in the first place, then I wouldn’t bother.

I am a great believer in the placebo effect and its benefits on performance to some participants in most sports.

Like you I think most people don’t give it credit.

When racing motorcross there was several tests in USA magazines (there were no decent UK magazines) slamming the standard Showa race shock on Honda’s stating it need expensive revalving and internals by Pro Circuit racing in the USA to work. Not hard to figure who was advertising hard in those magazines and ran a factory Honda team.

A mate blamed the shock for his dismal dip in form, I offered to lend him a spare Showa Pro Circuit racing revalved shock I had. He raced with it and his results improved exponentially, he then offered to buy the shock off me for a premium as sending his off to the USA to be done wasn’t cheap.

I said we will just swap, you keep it I will have your old one and do the same as I did with mine on yours. But that will cost you a fortune was the reply, I reached in my tool box pulled out the Pro Circuit factory decal kit I bought when I was over in the USA, pealed the genuine “Pro Circuit factory suspension” sticker and stuck it on the piggyback reservoir of the rear shock.

That’s all I did to mine mate, it was in your head was my reply.

The shock was no better or worse than other standard shocks at the time and considering he was in what was c class for motocross it wasn’t worth it at his current level but in his head needed a hand.

The placebo worked just fine for him.

I was bored at work as you can tell.

Thanks, Wanko. A test of the tight Brain C7 choke compared with a Briley XF  and Muller Ü4 will follow anon. 

Jezek

Last edited by a moderator:
Those that know me , also know I have been around the block a time or two or three ("Old Barsteward"?) I called Christos out on his claims vey early on in the shotguworld debate . Slowly I am being proved correct .

Yet another expensive gadget . 

W. W. Greener is probably turning in his grave and arguing with Fred Kimble.

Yes it really is amazing.

The Manufacturer of Brain chokes despite them now receiving poor publicity has promised we will be surprised at his next 'brain'wave , a revolutionary gun stock , and no it is not adjustable.

I wait with baited breath.

I wouldn't mind betting we have seen something similar many years ago and he thinks we have all forgotten about them.

Back