Browning DS Chokes....Hmmmmmm

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So then, Patterned Browning Half, 3/4 and Light Full chokes using Eley Superbs 7.5s at Sporting targets over easter at Sporting targets.  Shot them at 35m.  I haven't included the Half choke as it was so sparse I treated it with disdain.  The 3/4 choke came in at 80% dense and shooting 150 Practice blew most targets up.  The light full came in at 83" and was lovely and dense.  70yd crossers were dispatched with aplomb.  Great choke that.  I have also added the 3/4 choke and an Eley Titanium 7's and this shows up to be about 8" tighter on the diameter as you can see.  Certainly, what they did on the long stuff or the edgy trap birds was enough to give me the confidence I need to use them on bigger targets at Sporting Shoots.  Overall, an enlightening and positive experience.  The halfs will be good out to 30m (in my mind), but although it was an even pattern, it was VERY sparse.  I will probably buy myself another Light Full I believe and shoot 2 of those.  Great patterns overall and I have greater respect for the Eley Cartridges than I did before.  Super(b) patterns as I am sure you will concur.

What is immediately apparent, is that the measured designation is nothing like how the choke patterns.  

IMG-20190421-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20190421-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20190421-WA0005.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
going by that it certainly fits you well, see what you mean about the light full, great pattern ,slghtly centre dense so good for a longer stuff, would be interesting to see how tight it is at 18yds though , certainly cant knock the eley superbs on performance can you.

going by that it certainly fits you well, see what you mean about the light full, great pattern ,slghtly centre dense so good for a longer stuff, would be interesting to see how tight it is at 18yds though , certainly cant knock the eley superbs on performance can you.
For 18yds, I'll pop in a SKEET choke.  Thats as simple as I can get.  But yes, I was more than happy with the breaks and patterns for sure.

makes sence,certainly inspires confidence getting a good pattern with your favorite,comfortable to shoot cartridge, enjoy!

This is Half choke. 63% of pattern at 35m. That's a true Half choke pattern and once again, nice and even.

All the same I've just bought another 3/4 choke as that's 80% at 35m. I'm all set! I think a pattern plate is a real boon as it tells you where you're shooting, and how the cartridges pattern with your choice of gun and choke. Well worth the time in my opinion, rather than just seeing the sorts of breaks you get on the Clay's themselves. 

So there you have it......I'm all engineered out now. 😎

20190425_200552.jpg

Honestly? All of that crap only actually matters IF you put the load onto the target! You started by saying you are shooting rather well at the moment then go on to investigate patterns and chokes? Last thing on my mind would be what the restriction of my chokes were if I was shooting well... or bad! In summary the pattern thrown by the gun is a minor part of breaking the target ... where you point the gun is the important part. 

The "Crap" matters to me.....

I am now happy to shoot 2x 3/4 chokes, even though they measure as 2x 3/8th. The episode removed doubt. So it was a worthwhile exercise....for me.  Most think I'm full of sh1te......but I think this removes some of it 😉

The "Crap" matters to me.....

I am now happy to shoot 2x 3/4 chokes, even though they measure as 2x 3/8th. The episode removed doubt. So it was a worthwhile exercise....for me.  Most think I'm full of sh1te......but I think this removes some of it 😉
That is all that matters! But how anybody could have doubts about something so inconsequential as 2 or 3 thou in choke size when they are breaking targets well is weird 😄 

This is Half choke. 63% of pattern at 35m. That's a true Half choke pattern and once again, nice and even.

All the same I've just bought another 3/4 choke as that's 80% at 35m. I'm all set! I think a pattern plate is a real boon as it tells you where you're shooting, and how the cartridges pattern with your choice of gun and choke. Well worth the time in my opinion, rather than just seeing the sorts of breaks you get on the Clay's themselves. 

So there you have it......I'm all engineered out now. 😎

f
looks spot on to me for a competition combination (half choke), maybe a bit tighter if trying to show off in practice

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back