Blaser F16 experiment. A sensible risk?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey, if you can afford it, and the resale loss doesn't bother you, go for it. You will end up owning it anyway... And you wouldn't of bought other guns in place - costing you more in the long run.

Wish I had the funds to buy the gun I wanted when I started - Browning ultra xs/pro sport/525sl.

I ended up with a 1996 Rizzini.E bought from a friend for £200. It does the trick and dusts the clays. And I am (trying) to save for the browning.
In the right hands I’m sure any gun will dust the clays, be that a £200 second hand Rizzini or a £200,000 new Purdey or anything in between. 

Logic tells me a Browning B525. It’s the gun I have used most and used most successfully and I really like it. 

The Blaser is entirely heart led

In the right hands I’m sure any gun will dust the clays, be that a £200 second hand Rizzini or a £200,000 new Purdey or anything in between. 

Logic tells me a Browning B525. It’s the gun I have used most and used most successfully and I really like it. 

The Blaser is entirely heart led
Don't get me wrong, I love my Rizzini. Struck luck with it, it's fits me really well considering.

The 525 is a trusted one. 

What ever you do, enjoy it. 

Just re-reading this after seeing a rake of F3's out and about today, and I do have a thing about German engineering... but I just can't get over the feeling that it won't be any better for me or raise my scores more than my 525. Blessing and a curse?! 🤔

Go for it. Life is too short. Unless a gun is so cheaply made it might fall apart, if it fits there's no reason not too. 

As someone said recently all  every shotgun is is 2 pipes a bit of wood and some clockwork to make a cartridge go bang.  Most important  bit is being able to point the pipes in the right direction. 

Made me smile. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Just re-reading this after seeing a rake of F3's out and about today, and I do have a thing about German engineering... but I just can't get over the feeling that it won't be any better for me or raise my scores more than my 525. Blessing and a curse?! 🤔
100% sure the F3 doesn’t make me shoot any better than the F16. I’m not convinced the F16 makes me shoot better than the 525 I started with, or the 686 school gun I used at the very beginning, but I was immediately taken with the low profile action. For me it just felt nice. Nothing more, nothing less.

The F3 purchase for me is, I’m not ashamed to admit, nothing more than an ego trip.

100% sure the F3 doesn’t make me shoot any better than the F16. I’m not convinced the F16 makes me shoot better than the 525 I started with, or the 686 school gun I used at the very beginning, but I was immediately taken with the low profile action. For me it just felt nice. Nothing more, nothing less.

The F3 purchase for me is, I’m not ashamed to admit, nothing more than an ego trip.
For me, in my first few years of shooting I was being steered by the guns if that makes sense. I adapted to whatever it was and wouldn’t know what I really wanted. I even shot my Perazzi that was very ill-fitting for a few years. Then when I was more experienced (after about 8 years..) I started playing the different gun game again, going heavier, finding it was the wrong direction, going shorter stock, liking that. The F3 I shoot now definitely finds me more clays than another gun would, but because I know it features everything I personally need and want. 

Shotguns are tactile objects of desire, especially if you have an appreciation for quality engineering, some brands have the ability to feel almost alive in your hands, disguising the reality of their actual weight with perfect balance, finish, fit and the aesthetic beauty of a gorgeous well figured stock. 

I too have had a few guns now, chasing the holy grail of shooting tool perfection.  My currenty HPX DSR Perazzi is beautiful to behold and the feel of the thing is exquisite but I'm nowhere near as consistent with it compared to the F3 Vantage I picked up after lockdown...net result I have an appointment with Tim Greenwood to get refitted for the Perazzi if I can get it to fit as well as the F3 then I'll be happy.

There is a clue in there somewhere - an F3 is an exceptional piece of engineering, maybe not as mechanically elegant as the Perazzi with the trunnion heads protruding from the sides of the action but none the less an extremely effective clay-buster.    

Sort of relevant - Advice from me buying my forever gun. I hope it helps.

I started with a 200 notes E.Rizzini, AT610... Just to get into the sport before investing in a long term gun... I got this off a Metal detecting buddy (another hobby i heavily invested in...🤦‍♂️

I felt blessed that the Rizzini fit me very well and shot where I pointed (not that I always pointed in the right direction 🤣) and felt that this was meant to be and be the sport for me!

Well almost a year after buying it, I started noticing that the safety wasn't being safe, and id get the odd DUD/Misfire, so went to get the gun looked at.. As it wasn't economical to repair at the current time(I will eventually being my first gun, I want to keep it, and keep it in working order....) - And I wanted to get into Pidgeon decoying -  the thought of sharing a hide, with an unsafe gun didn't bare thinking about...

So I begged the wife for her blessing to borrow some dosh and get a new gun. *Happy wife, happy life right....?!

I borrowed more than I wanted, and working in care - my funds are very limited(I've joined a rich mans hobby - with Champaign taste but having a beer money)... but - with this being my forever gun, I wanted to get the right one, and one that would change with my body, that's growing in the wrong direction - even though I'm trying to loose the weight ., so it needed to be adjustable..

I went shopping at my local Gunsmiths, tried and mounted several guns from the Browning family - with my heart set of the 525SL, but the one that felt right and ticked all the boxes was well above my budget (but as mention I borrowed more than I wanted to get the right gun).

And as I mainly shoot clays... I ended up investing in a Browning Ultra XS Pro - and I must say - it was the right decision - the gunsmith 'fitted' the gun to me, adjusted the trigger/butt plate etc.

I have noticed a rise in my scores, marginally anyway. What I'm trying to say is... If your sure of the gun your after - go for it, save your money, from buying multiples guns, and get the right one to begin with..

I still have my Rizzini - which in time.. (when I've paid off the Browning in about 15 months 😅) ill mget repaired, and put back to work.

I've also since invested in a 1963 Breda semi - a great gun - and one ill use for decoying, if I can ever find a permission.

Stay safe, enjoy your sport, most importantly, just have fun!

Back