best ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always got on well with sealand, Peter storm or regatta. Not a fan of the high collars on Jack Pyke and schoffel for shooting in, but loads of people obviously do. Beretta do some nice fleeces as well, one even with zip off arms.

Beretta 'active' are quite good and actually made for shooting with pockets in the shoulders so a recoil pad can be fitted. The 'high collar' sits just below the ears and does not affect the stock on mounting. Downside, they are not fully windproof but can be used as an inner jacket lining. Fine for Spring and Autumn.  Best go and have a look around the shops to see what's what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harkila have a good  range of fleeces and  windproof cardigans .  Also if you are feeling flush , Schoffel , their fleeces are probably the most common you’ll find game shooters in . Personally for clays I’m favouring  Golf stuff at the moment  , Under Armour do some good gear ( in sensible plain colours !  ) 

Sealand used to be a great product at a reasonable price, but since their take over the cost has skyrocketed  
Have to agree,they had a great value range,especially in micro fleeces and practical shooting wear.

Depends how warm (or cool) you want to be. I shot yesterday and was wearing my skeet vest over just a T shirt and lightweight trousers.  Even when it rained, I did not use a waterproof, I always have a spare top in my vehicle.  If you 'feel'  the cold I would recommend a top made by 'Zerofit '. I bought 2 of their tops last winter. One is lighter than the other. I have never needed to wear anything other than a waterproof over them. I wore the heavier version with just a thin waterproof over, during a snowstorm in Scotland last February and was plenty warm enough.  Right through last winter (albeit mild) I wore just one of the tops with a skeet vest over for all my Clay shooting.  I found both tops a bit warm to wear under a shirt, with a tie for my game shooting. They are NOT cheap, but I have found them excellent  and I am about to purchase another.  I know a couple of members off this site also have them and their feedback was good. Have a look at the Zerofit Web site and YouTube. 

Just one note about Seeland do NOT buy mail order, unless you have tried and KNOW exactly what size you require. I have had to go up 1 size with Seeland tops.

what's the best fleece for clay shooting  ?   
None of them really. Several thin layers are a better bet than something as thick as a fleece. I’d recommend a bamboo base layer under a jumper or tee shirt. Better for gunfit and far less restrictive. If it’s too cold for that then shooting’s probably off the list.

For me, fleece’s are for coaching days, non-shooting activities or the half hour between rounds.

I have bought items of golf clothing in the past, its cheaper than shooting attire as there is much more about and you can drop on great bargains in 'end of line' sales. Its ideally transferable for shooting as it also requires the user to have mobility in the arms and shoulders

I've got a brilliant jumper that I use for clay shooting it's warm and has a thin neck so it doesn't affect gun mount. I cannot recommend it highly enough. But unfortunately it was knitted by my grandmother who has been dead 40 years.
Did you inherit the pattern  ?

Depends how warm (or cool) you want to be. I shot yesterday and was wearing my skeet vest over just a T shirt and lightweight trousers.  Even when it rained, I did not use a waterproof, I always have a spare top in my vehicle.  If you 'feel'  the cold I would recommend a top made by 'Zerofit '. I bought 2 of their tops last winter. One is lighter than the other. I have never needed to wear anything other than a waterproof over them. I wore the heavier version with just a thin waterproof over, during a snowstorm in Scotland last February and was plenty warm enough.  Right through last winter (albeit mild) I wore just one of the tops with a skeet vest over for all my Clay shooting.  I found both tops a bit warm to wear under a shirt, with a tie for my game shooting. They are NOT cheap, but I have found them excellent  and I am about to purchase another.  I know a couple of members off this site also have them and their feedback was good. Have a look at the Zerofit Web site and YouTube. 

Just one note about Seeland do NOT buy mail order, unless you have tried and KNOW exactly what size you require. I have had to go up 1 size with Seeland tops.
Well, based on your recommendation, I've just ordered a Zerofit Ultimate.  If it's no good then expect a visit from the misses. (You REALLY don't want that.) I must dash, she wants her tongue sharpening.

I do NOT think you will be disappointed.  Have a look on YouTube,  they have a couple of videos on there. I saw the advert in a fishing magazine and as I had been looking at most of the established walking/outdoor clothing companies wares,  but could not find anything I felt was suitable, I bought the Zerofit. I have not been disappointed,  but I have been VERY warm  !

westley said:
I do NOT think you will be disappointed.  Have a look on YouTube,  they have a couple of videos on there. I saw the advert in a fishing magazine and as I had been looking at most of the established walking/outdoor clothing companies wares,  but could not find anything I felt was suitable, I bought the Zerofit. I have not been disappointed,  but I have been VERY warm  !

My 2 tops have been washed countless times and have never lost any of their 'new' properties, including their shape.

On Westleys recommendation on the Zerofit, the hubby and I purchased one each, and confirm they are brilliant.  We only wore them a few times as it was coming into spring when purchased but cannot recommend them highly enough.  I wore mine under my skeet vest, nothing else and was warm as toast.  Ok, it wasn’t raining but it was cold and windy, took a jumper/jacket with me but didn’t need it.  Don’t think you’ll be disappointed, maybe a thin waterproof in your bag in case it rains.  

I must admit we never buy shooting clothing now (apart from skeet vests). We go for more golfing (room to swing) or fishing clothing.  It does help that we do fish and golf so it’s always used!  

Also as recommended on here, i ordered a Zerofit on Thursday, it arrived just after midday on Friday and ive used it today under a fleece jacket, warm as toast ive been all day everything mentioned on here about them is correct. A big Plus 1 from me

Back to the fleece, my lad has a percussion fleece and in my opinion its better quality than my harkila and schoffel and at least half the price

Latest posts

Back