Best gun for lady's?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamish

My wife has used my ou beretta and found the recoil too much I brought a 12G semi auto a while later and that kicked a bit. What about 20b ou or a semi?

My wife has used my ou beretta and found the recoil too much I brought a 12G semi auto a while later and that kicked a bit. What about 20b ou or a semi?
Just as a matter of interest what cartridge is she shooting with? your gun - does it fit her properly? I shoot Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g but use 21g and 24g - no recoil.

Forgot to say also very small 5ft so not much of me to take much recoil in any event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sian is absolutely spot on. If it fits it shouldn't kick. Choice of cartridge is paramount a soft 24g such at fiocchi black should be as soft as 21 try a few.

Think its more the recall she doesn't like so 21g would be best to try before I buy another gun

Think its more the recall she doesn't like so 21g would be best to try before I buy another gun
I tend to use Hull Comp X in 21g because it is cheap and comfortable and does the job - it's me that misses :)

Compex 21g or even softer are express 21g. I'm 5ft 2 and shoot a beretta with no issues. 

They kill stuff way out there I've used them for everything including fitasc and OT.

I haven't seen Express 21g, but I'll try them when I do. CompX are my choice. Eley Firsts and Rio are fine. Fiocchi blue are rather rough-feeling. Maybe down to the primer (I read this month's Pull!) Coach broke clays at 55 yards with my 21g cartridges, so I consider them good enough until I'm a much better shot.

The fit is also an issue.The butt of my stock is almost totally vertical. Me trying to use a gun with a really pointy toe means all the recoil is on a very small point rather than nicely distributed. That can hurt! But it's more the cartridges IME. 

I believe that stock and particularly pitch is different for women hence difficult to find off the peg to fit. Easiest thing is to pack the pad out and have a play with different pitch.

I believe that stock and particularly pitch is different for women hence difficult to find off the peg to fit. Easiest thing is to pack the pad out and have a play with different pitch.
It is ,if the wife's been shooting her husbands gun I very much doubt if it any where near fits which is why she's getting recoil problems. People just don't realise how important pitch is, probably more important than length or cast. There's a good article on the subject by Tim Greenwood in Clay Shooting magazine this month.

Tim always changes the pitch and toe on any gun that I buy and it makes one hell of a difference.

Pitch makes a huge difference. I took the toe of my butt pad to the belt sander a couple of months ago to flatten it and take the point off
and its so much more comfortable now.

If weight is as much of an issue as recoil, a semi-auto might be worth considering. My sister in law just bought a benelli raffaelo crio comfort and it's unbelievably light.

So your talking about the vertical angle of the stock pad in relation to the shoulder and the toe meaning the pad not square to the stock?

If you have the pitch and toe altered on your 425 you will notice a hell of a difference. It won't feel like the same gun.
A bloke would look at my stock and think someone had put it on the wrong way around. Sooooo glad I got the alterations done almost immediately.

Pitch it a much forgotten bout thing and as my right honorable friend Mr hotshot says can make a huge difference. However if cocked up can be detrimental. I have seen many guns that recoil down, very odd how anyone shoot them like that.

So your talking about the vertical angle of the stock pad in relation to the shoulder and the toe meaning the pad not square to the stock?
By toe I meant that pointy bit at the bottom of the stock that digs in under recoil .Uncomfortable for any one but particularly so for most ladies. As IPS says you need to get it done by a good gunsmith as I've also seen them cut the wrong way.

What part of the country are you in?

I shoot with a Beretta 682 gold E with Gamebore 28g cartridges, muller chokes. I have had kick eek pad fitted and have no problem with recoil. My old Browning 525 was dreadful and I also had to have the pad twisted slightly to stop it digging in my lady bits. It's all down to what suits each Lady! Once you find the combination that works for you it's a joyous thing

http://www.shotgunlife.com/shotgun-lives/women-shooters/women-and-shotguns.html

If you want your wife to shoot with you and you have bought or will buy a gun for her, then you really should commit and make damn sure that the gun fits HER.

Most men should get their guns fitted in some way and this is (usually) more the case for women,

No...unless your wife is really tiny and of very low physical strength...do not buy her a 20b.  Think about it for a moment...if you are using 28g cartridges, then the recoil from a 20b will be MORE than a 12b,because the 20b weighs less.

So, get the stock shortened appropriately, adjust the pitch and start off with 21g carts, until she can handle the gun and the fit is correct..then move up to 24g.

The Auto should be fine if she doesn't mind the way it works..but make it fit.

Latest posts

Back