Beretta 686E Evo

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Boakes

Hi guys

Any thoughts on the 686, I am thinking of one for my first gun over a Silver pigeon,

Obviously I know that a correct fitting gun is the priority over shiny one.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Hi mate.

I have the SP1 and Harley on here has the EVO.

Obviously, the EVO has a plain, modern engraving whereas the SP has a game scene of sorts.

The action is the same, but it has better wood and extended chokes as standard, though I don't think the are optima hp, so the same chokes as the SP1.

So I suppose, if you want slightly better woods, extended chokes and a modern finish to the action, go for the EVO...there is no real differences functionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,

How big are you physically? My gut feel is that a Browning or Miroku is worth considering, especially if you are a big guy. A touch more weight / barrel weight. Light guns always feel better when you start, because you are not used to holding them. Also, as a newbie, you spend a lot longer with the gun in your shoulder.

CSC3

Yes very interesting and valid point made by CleverSC3, must admit I hadn't thought of it that way. Either way I would always advise people to buy and get used to, the heaviest gun they can comfortably hold and shoot right from the start, especially for clay shooting. Recoil is the least funny element of the equation.

My first gun was a 28" Beretta Silver pigeon. It felt fantastic to pick up and I could point it at the clock on the wall like a dream. When I later binned it for a 30" Browning things moved on though..

Hi all

I am 6ft, medium build around 85kg. At the moment I shoot on a weekly basis using my father in law's Onyx,

I am comfortable shooting from the unmounted position, except the really fast driven clays ( coming at you).

Hope this helps

Right now GMK is offering more similarly priced sporters than ever. Most of them are simply cosmetic variations of the long standing 686 series and all those are identical in weight, balance, fit, feel, barrel specs and reliability because they are simply parts bin specials.

Why not take a look at the Prevail? Obviously I'm biased but it's actually a better gun than the 686s, and for handling and pointability I'd choose mine over any 68X series gun ever made. It has better triggers, better weight distribution, stronger action, fully vented Optima HP barrels, DT11 style forend and the even the optional KickOff recoil device (IMO unnecessary).

Bear in mind they are quite front end light so if you can get a look at one I'd recommend 32".

You're not going to like this Hammy but mine weighs in at 7lb 14oz which is about the same as the current 686 EVO. (My old 686E weighed 8lb 1oz)

I recently tried a 9½lb K80 and a few days ago a DT10. My Prevail, using the same shells, doesn't kick any more than the DT10 and less than my old 686E. Obviously the K80 was a bit less.

I'm not just pumping my own gun choice. Loads of people have handled or shot my Prevail and really liked it - even the saddos in the "Nothing can touch a Browning" brigade.

As an aside, I'm always somewhat mystified about how it became accepted fact that Browning/Miroku are significantly heavier than Berettas. The current 525 sport weighs 7lb 14oz and the 725 sport is 7lb 12oz. As for Mirokus, the MK70 is 7lb 15oz and even the MK38 trap is barely 8lb. All there or thereabouts the same as 686/7/2 etc. and much less than a typical DT10.

What is undeniable is that Brownings in particular always feel heavy because so much of the weight is out in front.

Hamster

I can do both ways, it's just sometimes I start already mounted with the faster approaching ones,

Hadnt thought much about the Prevail,

Hamster

I can do both ways, it's just sometimes I start already mounted with the faster approaching ones,

Hadnt thought much about the Prevail,

I can't fault my new 686E Evo (can't shoot It either pmsl) joke.

I like the feel of it, and it's starting to gel with me, I must admit it is very light though.

I'm no expert but your more than welcome to meet up and try mine at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect to GMK they've never quite got the point of having a website and still operate as if it's a kind of online catalogue to be updated every couple of years or so. If you can work out what a Prevail 1 Pro is or a Prevail 1 Pro Luxe and whether the Prevail 1 still exists or what the specs of any of them are you're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Latest posts

Back