Beretta 686 evo

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And on top of all that beretta marketing have decided to drop the DT10 in favour for the brut which is DT11 ........... work that one out.

Think I have seen 2 DT11 on the trap circuit since they appeared on the market one very very well respected trap shooter had his for a week before giving it back ??

Beretta should poach the Guerini marketing team. Take one budget gun design and produce it nicely in about 5 different cosmetic grades, offer a couple of barrel length, rib and stock/forend options across all the ranges then sit back and enter smug mode. You don't have to be a fan of the guns to admire what Guerini has done.

It's not complicated Mr Beretta and Mr GMK, it's called m a r k e t in g and it begins with customer research. Once you know what people do or don't like you can do something called p r o d u c t p l a n n i n g.

It really isn't that hard.

Beretta should poach the Guerini marketing team. Take one budget gun design and produce it nicely in about 5 different cosmetic grades, offer a couple of barrel length, rib and stock/forend options across all the ranges then sit back and enter smug mode. You don't have to be a fan of the guns to admire what Guerini has done.

It's not complicated Mr Beretta and Mr GMK, it's called m a r k e t in g and it begins with customer research. Once you know what people do or don't like you can do something called p r o d u c t p l a n n i n g.

It really isn't that hard.
It's a bloody shame Browning don't have a look outside their bloody cocoon too, I don't think Browning know what marketing or product planning is!

It's a bloody shame Browning don't have a look outside their bloody cocoon too, I don't think Browning know what marketing or product planning is!
It is a shame Les because, apart from Guerini, no one in anywhere in the industry from manufacturers through distributors and dealers appears to have any awareness of how marketing works or what it can achieve. They just gather up a load of components from the parts bins, faff around with the finish, then throw it into the coffee maker and see if comes up frothy. If it doesn't there's no post mortem and no lessons learned, they just bumble along for a while then do the same again.

In any event my personal view is that the best performing Beretta sporter by some margin in that price bracket is the Prevail.
When I look at the Prevail, it seems great. Modern without losing the plot. Decent forend too. It just seems a shame that it is so light. Very few of the best clay guns weigh so little. I dont know why Beretta (and Kreighoff with the Parcours) dont make optional weights that can be fitted neatly into the forend and stock, as Blaser do.

Next to a Perazzi or K80 all the sub DT10/11 Berettas are light. The funny thing about the Prevail is that it feels about ½lb lighter than it actually is. The Gold E is only a shade heavier and the Browning 725 is exactly the same weight.

Gun weight only matters to me as a means to limit recoil and whilst I'm not overly sensitive to recoil the Prevail is very soft shooting. The self tensioning forend reduces vibration noticeably over the 68x series (and the Miroku/Brownings!) and the long cones probably help too.

There's plenty of room in the SV10 stocks to add weight but not the forend. Barrel weights are available from the States but they look pretty crap. I like the Zoli method of adding weight right up close to the action. It's too easy to screw up the handling by shoving lead into the back of the stock. IMO weight distribution is at least as important and possibly more so, than the balance.

Agreed re weight distribution. That's why I think it's important that the factory facilitate the optional added weights, because they can allow for the best positioning. With weights added it would ideally feel like the same gun, just heavier. Not like 'a light gun with weights added'..

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael

The 686 E Evo is my first gun, comparatively i can’t offer much, but my personal experience i can tell you about.

I shopped about and got a good deal from Country Sports, it gets a lot of attention for a relatively low priced gun, the wood i have is lovely too, I’ve been shooting now for nearly 4 months (2 times per week) on average.

I had the gun fitted/altered by Malcolm Jenkins as well as a Isis 2 fitted, and has made a massive difference to my sight picture and accuracy.

I have started skeet recently, with a combination of help from Ed Solomons and practise i can say it’s taken me at least this long to start learning the gun, and just recently im starting to shoot at a much better level, the 30” barrels for me are perfect for skeet, im a large guy and don’t find the weight any bother at all, balance for me is good.

The trigger is very usable as standard, and for me i wouldn’t change anything on it now, i just shoot and learn from my experience, i did find it very tight to start with, but standard with a new gun & that’s just about starting to become nice and smooth in breaking and cocking it.

I had one issue, the little pin that pushes out when the release lever is pressed over to break the gun, had stuck in, and i found it to be a small piece of swarf/carbon in the hole, once cleaned out, small amount of oil, and some light dabs of grease afterwards, its been great..!

For a sub 1.6k gun you get a lot for your money, i certainly would recommend it with no hesitation.

Harley

Michael

The 686 E Evo is my first gun, comparatively i can’t offer much, but my personal experience i can tell you about.

I shopped about and got a good deal from Country Sports, it gets a lot of attention for a relatively low priced gun, the wood i have is lovely too, I’ve been shooting now for nearly 4 months (2 times per week) on average.

I had the gun fitted/altered by Malcolm Jenkins as well as a Isis 2 fitted, and has made a massive difference to my sight picture and accuracy.

I have started skeet recently, with a combination of help from Ed Solomons and practise i can say it’s taken me at least this long to start learning the gun, and just recently im starting to shoot at a much better level, the 30” barrels for me are perfect for skeet, im a large guy and don’t find the weight any bother at all, balance for me is good.

The trigger is very usable as standard, and for me i wouldn’t change anything on it now, i just shoot and learn from my experience, i did find it very tight to start with, but standard with a new gun & that’s just about starting to become nice and smooth in breaking and cocking it.

I had one issue, the little pin that pushes out when the release lever is pressed over to break the gun, had stuck in, and i found it to be a small piece of swarf/carbon in the hole, once cleaned out, small amount of oil, and some light dabs of grease afterwards, its been great..!

For a sub 1.6k gun you get a lot for your money, i certainly would recommend it with no hesitation.

Harley
Country Sports?

Chris Potter, Country Sports ... :)

Looks like a superb gun - I was looking at one with a view to buying a shotgun for my wife.

Unfortunately they don't do it in 20G :(

Looks like a superb gun - I was looking at one with a view to buying a shotgun for my wife.

Unfortunately they don't do it in 20G :(
Would a 20g be her best bet (just asking), perhaps a 28 inch to make it more handleable...the extra weight of a 12g might be better for recoil?

It is so common for new shooters to start with a light gun, then realise they need a heavier one. With women, this is often a 20g, that becomes a 12.. My wife was a classic example. There are plenty of modest weight 12g. Use with light loads as mentioned above.

Would a 20g be her best bet (just asking), perhaps a 28 inch to make it more handleable...the extra weight of a 12g might be better for recoil?
Better with a 12 and light loads
It is so common for new shooters to start with a light gun, then realise they need a heavier one. With women, this is often a 20g, that becomes a 12.. My wife was a classic example. There are plenty of modest weight 12g. Use with light loads as mentioned above.
Cheers People,

I'll be passing NWSS on Wednesday (with Bev ) so we'll take a detour and get a gun fit and look at some light 12G.

12G are cheaper from both a purchase price and cartridges so it is preferred providing she can hold it. I'm guess Field models across the manufacturers will be the lighter?

Thanks again,

Chris

If she does not shoot yet, ANY gun will seem a bit heavy at first. She will have to soldier on a bit at first..

I had never even held a shotgun before February of this year. After getting the bug going to grounds with Mike he bought me a secondhand 20g shotgun in April. However, it was only in July that I changed up to a 12g Silver Pigeon. I have no problems with recoil. I have a kickeez fitted but I can shoot 28g cartridges with no ill effects.

Any gun does feel heavy to start with but it is amazing how you get used to it and now we find it much more economical having the same bore gun for the buying of cartridges etc.

There is a 20g Miroku MK70 in my cabinet; but it was bought for my step-daughter to use when she was 13. Not used these days; except to let a lady friend have a first go in the summer. It might just reappear if my 12 year old son ever decides to have a go.

There is a 20g Miroku MK70 in my cabinet; but it was bought for my step-daughter to use when she was 13. Not used these days; except to let a lady friend have a first go in the summer. It might just reappear if my 12 year old son ever decides to have a go.
My 20g comes out for a little play now and again. Kept hold of it as we were only offered £50 trade in :( but it was just a cheap first gun for me so rather keep it for sentimental value. ^_^

Michael

Harley
Hi Harley sorry to hear about your knock all the best with the mending. I think your post is pretty informative, as it's from a users perspective. I have had a good look at one in Greenfields Salisbury (recomended), i can see its very much like Lesley's Silver Pigeon, which in my thinking is good. I should come clean & say that I am definitely a Beretta fan, easily 80% of the shooters we come across at local sporting shoots have one. As i have not yet taught Lesley how to clean her own gun I know her Silver Pigeon inside out, for a mass produced gun I think the quality is top shelf considering the price. Hope your shooting starts again soon Mike

Latest posts

Back