Bend it or make it adjustable?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEVER EVER EVER BEND. It’s a terrible idea that always goes back

Balance is as important as fit. JWS stocks at Wolverhampton is by far the best around for a adjustable

Not found a stock maker or gunsmith than can fit worth a **

Balance is as important as fit. JWS stocks at Wolverhampton is by far the best around for a adjustable

Not found a stock maker or gunsmith than can fit worth a ****
As for bent stocks always going back depends if the job is done properly!!

As long as the adjustable comb allows me to move my cheek across enough without the 'ridge' pressing in then I'll be happy.

Gun up I don't have an issue as I can make myself fit, it's gun down where I notice the offset and need that little extra cast/comb adjustment.

Be interesting to see how all this works out.

Unfortunately not. I fit around 40 guns a week and see it daily hence I earn people against it
Each to his own!!

Thoughts and experiences please.

I have 2 o/u's a Beretta 692 2nd hand with quite a bit of cast that mounts perfectly for me and a B725 sporter that is straight and unless I cant my head I am looking down the left hand side.

Would you have the stock bent or would you make it into an adjustable stock?

I will have a very experiences gunsmith check my fit.

Thanks
Adjustable comb every time does what it says and you can always change it later if need be, years ago before adjustable combs became the norm I’ve had bent combs loose the bend,

Most of them are dead !.
I have a S x S that was made right handed in 1926. Sometime between then and 1976, it had been cast left, but not the triggers. In 1979 I bought it and the Gunsmith in the shop, bent it back right. You are quite correct in what you say and the stock went back left (over a 12 month period). Again it was cast right and again it went back. By 1981, I had had enough and went to Westley Richards in Birmingham. They had me fire 2 shots with my gun, at a pattern plate. Then 2 more shots with a try gun. That was it. After 2 weeks I received a phone call to say the stockfitter had left it clamped and gone on leave for 2 weeks. In July of 81 it was ready, but I could not get any time off work to collect it. It came back by Securicor. It has never altered to this day and I have never shot so well with any gun. I know this totally opposes what you believe, but I could quote several others who have had similar success, most of which I have witnessed. These have all been game guns of both barrel configurations. I often ask at lunch on game days, how many who are sat around the table have actually had their gun fitted. Surprisingly it is very few ? They would not get in my car and drive it without moving the seat and mirrors. Forget the mirrors, most don't know where they are anyway !

I have seen and used a coule of guns with adjustable stocks done by Doveridge Premier guns, superb in my humble opinion. I have also known others who used them, never heard a single bad word said for the work done. Never come across the other guy Ben suggested but I am sure he does a good job for Ben to recommend them. If my wife's next gun doesn't have an adjustable stock, I will need to sort one so which to choose ???

I was due, last week, to have the B725 looked at but the 692 has broken.
Forend fell off...... the 'rocker' adjuster has a broken part and I'm waiting for Beretta to deliver the new part. Hopefully have it sorted by next week and then I can look at getting the B725 adjusted.

Still thinking about the adjustable comb, not sure about bending the stock especially as I think it has a tube in it and the balancing weight contraption as well.

I'm thinking the adjustable comb although costs more seems the simpler and more sensible solution.

If you had been further North, I could have loaned you a ProSport stock to try on your 725. I am currently using a 725 ProSport with a standard 725 'Black' stock on it. That has reduced its overall weight to just over 8lbs. from the original almost 9lbs. I have a 725 with a ProSport stock on it.

It depends on how much cast you need and how thick the comb is on your Browning . I’ve even got one gun with a factory adjustable comb that I’ve had cast , as with the ( thick ) adjustable comb offset to where I need it there was a ‘ ledge ‘ with an uncomfortable feel , so I used bend for cast and comb for height . But personally out of choice I’d go for bending every time

Nigel Teague and Brian Webster , two extremely competent stock manipulators who have bent GD5 Mirokus for me , the high grade guns have the tube , it’s removed with a heated bar to melt the glue . Then the refitted after the bending and opening of the hole . On the twenty gauge MK 60 the stock was cast and also bent up to reduce drop at comb .

Of course bending wood carries a risk .
That's absolutely how it should be done proper craftsmen bending everytime for me

Latest posts

Back