Bagging time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typed a long response to Topdog's post and then lost internet so short version:

it is not rewarding failure to win your class. You shoot against people of similar standard (I am of course excluding C shots like me because we haven't really reached C standard yet) we're just plonked there to start off.

There is a winner, the High Gun regardless of the class wins - that person is always the winner regardless of money.

The winner of each class should be allowed to celebrate their moment - they shot against their class, they achieved in their class and that's what they are celebrating regardless of the scores above them in other classes or the top score. That gives them sometimes the will to achieve more in time.

Sian honest believe me...the way you improve is to shoot against yourself and the targets.....and not other people. You build scores you do not chase scores...honest.

If you measure against others you can create weaknesses in your own game.

The class thing has always cause problems. Scratch is the top dog. Only the few get there...but boy is there fun in trying.

Fun in trying

Bloody annoying more like. It's only a clay target how hard can it be to hit the pesky thing 100 times ?

I typed a long response to Topdog's post and then lost internet so short version:
it is not rewarding failure to win your class. You shoot against people of similar standard (I am of course excluding C shots like me because we haven't really reached C standard yet) we're just plonked there to start off.
There is a winner, the High Gun regardless of the class wins - that person is always the winner regardless of money.
The winner of each class should be allowed to celebrate their moment - they shot against their class, they achieved in their class and that's what they are celebrating regardless of the scores above them in other classes or the top score. That gives them sometimes the will to achieve more in time.

I couldn't agree more Sian, I really don't see it as rewarding failure!
Being able to shoot against people of a similar level, allows people to develop without feeling beaten up; shooting against people who have been shooting for years!
Take me for example, some joke(maybe not joke) about me being a sandbagger because I moved over to DTL end of last year, initially scores were quite low which kept me in the lower classes but I rapidly improved mainly due to lessons, practise and hard graft! I'm now regularly shooting A/AA scores (and will be going up to A shortly). Is that my fault? Hell no! Yeah I have won a little, but I have worked hard to get where I am, also having shot 3500+ targets gives a fairer accurate picture! This isn't soured grapes etc as now paying out for only the top boys would play right into my hands, for example on Sunday I was 3rd overall 5 points behind winner and 4 points behind Phil Morgan (ex world champ). But I wouldn't begrudge anyone else winning a few quid, and leaving a shoot buzzing having shot well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sian honest believe me...the way you improve is to shoot against yourself and the targets.....and not other people. You build scores you do not chase scores...honest.

If you measure against others you can create weaknesses in your own game.

The class thing has always cause problems. Scratch is the top dog. Only the few get there...but boy is there fun in trying.
But I do shoot against myself mainly but quite frankly it's a bit of a buzz when just occasionally I happen to be 8 targets behind the winning lady for example who happens to be an A shot or 15 targets behind another lady winner who happens to be an A shot - both shoot for country in one way or another - it makes me happy for the journey home and perhaps the evening and then I'm done. Measuring against others allows me to see how I faired. My score may be crap most of the time but by seeing what others do I keep my sense of what's real and then avoid disappointment with myself.

Competition by definition means you are out to beat others in my book - got no problem with that at all.

My aim for this year was to win in C Class

My aim next year will be to win in B Class

I achieved this year and I hope I will next year, I love improving and challenging myself, that is what it is all about for me.

Not bright enough to sandbag, even have to get Will to help me work out my averages....

I am saddened and disappointed to read such a depressing artical on this forum.

I have been trying my hardest to climb out of a lowly class and find it difficult to believe anyone would want to be where I currently am.

If that's the case then their welcome to it.

Steve made the point earlier and i fully agree I find it hard to see how anyone could be bothered to manufacture scores that enable them to shoot on occasions in a class that is well below their ability in order to win a few pounds ??? even if one won a class in a major the wasted money keeping you in that class would surely negate the money you might win?

My aim for this year was to win in C Class

My aim next year will be to win in B Class

I achieved this year and I hope I will next year, I love improving and challenging myself, that is what it is all about for me.

Not bright enough to sandbag, even have to get Will to help me work out my averages....
Its a good job you don't work in a bank. Oh hold on!!!

What you on Bobby?? No one mentioned the NSRA. That is your lot not ours :laugh:

Carefully with the typing.
Sorry yes I meant CPSA.

Was he an employee or a contractor?

I am probably old fashioned so when I engage someone to do something for me the something becomes mine when I have paid for it. The intellectual property may be ours if we gave him the spec and he was asked to produce a program for it. Still clever people some of these programmers. I once heard of a case where the program crashed for ever when the programmer was not paid for his work!

Going back to the late 70's to mid 80's there was a chap, a very good shot, who'd rotate annually through the domestic disciplines. One year he'd shoot DTL only, the next Skeet, the next Sporting then he start again with DTL etc. He somehow managed to stay in the lower classes all the time but when there was a gun, and IIRC, correctly a car up for grabs he always managed a big score to clean up. In those days computers were to some extent a thing of the future and scores were manually recorded. Doubt he'd get away with it today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am probably old fashioned so when I engage someone to do something for me the something becomes mine when I have paid for it. The intellectual property may be ours if we gave him the spec and he was asked to produce a program for it. Still clever people some of these programmers. I once heard of a case where the program crashed for ever when the programmer was not paid for his work!
The older the law the stranger it is :) Copyright versus patents and all that. Personally I hate providers who keep copyright from small businesses by not mentioning it. "Sorry, I own your logo, you can't change it." 

This was nothing to do with copyright laws. It was carelessness

Last edited:
Steve made the point earlier and i fully agree I find it hard to see how anyone could be bothered to manufacture scores that enable them to shoot on occasions in a class that is well below their ability in order to win a few pounds ??? even if one won a class in a major the wasted money keeping you in that class would surely negate the money you might win?
Not sure its all about the money i think they just need to win, but if you can pick up 100 pounds plus every time you go shooting thats reason enough for some to stay in A class and not wish to go into AA including AAA. Its been going on for years.

Not £100 every time................Wow ..!! :wink:

Not much use to me if I managed to win anything as it takes £120 to fill up the Motaaaa.. :wink:

The older the law the stranger it is :) Copyright versus patents and all that. Personally I hate providers who keep copyright from small businesses by not mentioning it. "Sorry, I own your logo, you can't change it." 
Yes that's another miserable trick that I've come across in my time!

Jim, After being informed that I am one of your five, I would like to point out a few facts to you. I have only been shooting for a little over 5 years, and in that time have progressed through C, B, and to the top end of A where I am now. In that time I have had lessons with 4 coaches including Carl Bloxam and Steve Nutbeam. I spend approx £800 a month on shooting, the last class win I had I picked up £27.50 (Prescott) so certainly not in it for the money. In the last year I have shot 61 shoots, winning my class 4 times, So not exactly headline grabbing glory hunting either. Its nice to know  that you think I am that good that I could waltz into AA whenever I please. I see that after 30yrs of shooting you are still in A class, is that because you are not trying, or perhaps not as easy as you make out. For anybody that would like to see my scores and see where I have been throwing all those high scores away my cpsa no is, 121061.

Latest posts

Back