Back up gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s my point though. Those are so different it won’t confuse you. Like driving a small car then a van. 
I get your point but when I had a 425 and a dt10 it was the same, I'm more " no sense no feeling " person I suppose, triggers are the same, if your looking at misses in the single digit I would say it probably might affect the person more 

I get your point but when I had a 425 and a dt10 it was the same, I'm more " no sense no feeling " person I suppose, triggers are the same, if your looking at misses in the single digit I would say it probably might affect the person more 
Right at the beginning I said it was personal, as so many elements of shooting are. It’s all about knowing your own head. 

IF you are worried about taking your gun out in the rain, get some 'Wood Silk' from Home Bargains for around £2. I have used this for around 10 years on all of my oiled finished stocks. Obviously avoid the chequering.  The finish is waterproof without any 'slip' and does not affect the oil finish in any way.

I do change guns occasionally, but they are all a world apart and that certainly helps the situation. I normally would use my 725 ProSport,  but as and when my neck/shoulder problem arises, I use my Beretta 303 semi auto. My other guns are a Franchi trap gun and a S x S. I can switch from one gun to another (not on the same day) and not have a problem with auto safe or 2 triggers. Having said that I have had over 50 years of practice  !   😉

I see a lot of different guns encountering issues on game days - ejector issues, larger cartridges with big brass caps sticking when barrels get hit, the odd firing pin, cracked stocks and the rest so always wanted to have a spare as the costs of prestige days are such it’s a complete pain to not be able to continue 

I ended up getting a pair precisely to remove the issues over different balance point/feel etc and to free up scope for double gunning

I can’t imagine it’s as important on a 100 bird shoot when you are using max 28g and not shooting anything like the same number of cartridges in quick succession 

I have a 'wet weather gun' (Blaser F3 Vantage) for when it seems mean and uncaring to take the beloved HPX Perazzi DSR out in the rain...and yet because I'm a tad OCD I look after each equally well.   They both have a similar sight picture so shoot comparably - though handle completely differently, one is nigh on perfect and the other has been chatting to a fence post.🙃

I do think a back up gun that at least provides similar sight pictures is a pre-requisite otherwise the compromise is too great.

Back