Back edge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Footinfront

I watched a YouTube video from ‘Mr British’ which featured Brandon Powell and the ‘back edge’ method. Maybe I’m just daft but can you shed any light, in plain language, on what he’s doing differently. Any good? Just different? Thanks

I watched a YouTube video from ‘Mr British’ which featured Brandon Powell and the ‘back edge’ method. Maybe I’m just daft but can you shed any light, in plain language, on what he’s doing differently. Any good? Just different? Thanks
Some people have a gift for complicating things! I think its best to try and do the opposite!

Footinfront. It's just another take on swing through but what works for some, doesn't necessarily work for others. You can watch some of these "swing through" shooters and they don't necessarily do what they say they do.

Last edited:
I recently went through the Brandon's video series, and found it very helpful for some of the more difficult targets. I would summarize his back edge method as this:

First, definition of traditional swing through:
Establish your hold point near or at the start of where you want to engage and shoot the target.
On call, watch the target from your visual point all they way to where it has passed your barrel.
Then start from behind, swing through the target and shoot it.
When using this method, I fired at the target with no perceived lead. The distance I start from behind determines the barrel speed to catch it.
By the time I actually pull the trigger and the shot string leaves the barrel, I am ahead of the target.

Back Edge method.
I would summarize this as a combination of move/mount/shoot and swing through.
Hold point earlier than a typical swing through hold point, and under the target line.
Gun lower than a full premount position. This is a comfort level thing, I sort of shrug my shoulders down.
On call, pick up the target from your visual point, mount and insert the gun just behind the back edge.
Establish the target line and speed, then move past the target, keep focus on target, and fire.

I have found this method effective for really long crossers (50 yds+), especially edgy ones, and also long rising quarters, where I shoot it still under power.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back