Are inches important

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growl

Afternoon all, I'm at the 'research' stage of a possible investment, I am considering moving from a 30" set of tubes up to a huge 34" my concern is that I will have to massively change my shooting style and target approach, I am somewhat of a quick shot, I can pick up and establish a kill point early and am comfortable in taking a clay on while it is under power, in fact I do not tend to take a clay when it is losing imputus, I am an A class shot and have shot on and off for 35 or so years, I'm 6' and in pretty good shape physically - my mind occasionally works too! Am I just being daft in thinking of going for longer barrels or not! Have any of you made the move and regretted it or conversely love longer barrels and won't go back? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

The only 'research' you need to do is try one. After all your the one who will be shooting. 

Its not the inches its how you use it ..............................that's what the girlfriend said !

Afternoon all, I'm at the 'research' stage of a possible investment, I am considering moving from a 30" set of tubes up to a huge 34" my concern is that I will have to massively change my shooting style and target approach, I am somewhat of a quick shot, I can pick up and establish a kill point early and am comfortable in taking a clay on while it is under power, in fact I do not tend to take a clay when it is losing imputus, I am an A class shot and have shot on and off for 35 or so years, I'm 6' and in pretty good shape physically - my mind occasionally works too! Am I just being daft in thinking of going for longer barrels or not! Have any of you made the move and regretted it or conversely love longer barrels and won't go back? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Very difficult to advise without either seeing you shoot both or knowing a bit more about the gun you're thinking about but as a rough rule the chances are you'll get used to and benefit from slightly longer barrels but 34" as you say is a pretty huge jump. I know very few people who use them, when I have tried one they seem to point well enough but they also make the whole loading and general management inside the cage a tad too laboured. 

I know a man, who has the CG can't remember the model, with two sets of barrels, one of which is 34 other is probably 32.

Used to belong to Kevin Howland I believe (Hamster?)

Point being, it's for sale. Evoracer on here.

Ask yourself this. How many of the top  shots  are using them? If there was an advantage all the big boys would be on em.

Jasper.

I just love the whole 32"/34" barrel hype and BS.  It all makes the proper length gun so much more reasonable in price.

besta luck with the beauties

I know a man, who has the CG can't remember the model, with two sets of barrels, one of which is 34 other is probably 32.

Used to belong to Kevin Howland I believe (Hamster?)

Point being, it's for sale. Evoracer on here.
I know an A class shot who used a 34" Perazzi for many years but he (in my opinion) suffered on many a bird because it was very tightly choked but he has now got a new 32" one choked 1/2 & 3/4, not too sure whether his average has altered but the fact there are so few in the hands of even expert shots makes me think that perhaps they overstep the law of diminishing returns. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know an A class shot who used a 34" Perazzi for many years but he did (in my opinion) suffered on many a bird because it was very tightly choked but he has now got a new 32" one choked 1/2 & 3/4, not too sure whether his average has altered but the fact there are so few in the hands of even expert shots makes me think that perhaps they overstep the law of diminishing returns. 

Over stepping the norm will not work in the long term unless you are a one off !

You'd be welcome to try my Invictus Graham, although it's only 32" and hi-rib

Ive not been shooting as long as you and started out with a 30", but having moved to 32" I can't ever see myself moving back down....smoothest gun I've ever shot. 

Latest posts

Back