Anyone waiting for a new Shotgun certificate in Hampshire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley

I applied for my shotgun certificate on 18 April and have been chasing them since the end of July to see what is happening.

I was first told it was being held back as someone was returning from maternity leave and was being given "grants" to do to break them back in gently.

Since then, I have been told it has been pulled out of the pile and passed to the Licencing Officer but it has been with her for three weeks now and she is on holiday this week.

Their website states that it is taking approximately sixteen weeks for applications to be dealt with but mine has taken 24 weeks so far.

I have now been told they are still issuing certificates that were applied for in March at the moment.

Is anyone else still waiting for their certificate? It just seems unbelievable that it takes so long to deal with something.

I am afraid that it is probably due to the budget cutbacks and reduced staffing.

They are also nowadays following up on all their checks.

It won't be a priority.

I chased my FAC renewal and Shotgun grant from Devon after 3 months and it arrived the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an extreemely long time to wait. It appears that some Counties take longer than others. In Essex the wait is around 7 weeks from start to finish. I did call every week though to make sure it was on track. Hope you get it soon.

I have chased mine today. I have been waiting 14 weeks for a co-terminus renewal for my FAC and shotgun certificate. The FAC also had a variation. I'm in East Sussex. I got the number off of the website, and phoned it only to be told this number is no longer in service. I phoned the Sussex Police switchboard and they put me through. It rang and rang......... Nothing. in the end, with 8 calls to the switchboard and the operator trying 3 different numbers I gave up.

Then I emailed them. I was going to call it a day when I noticed there was a feedback/complaints button on the website. So I filled it in and had a rant. 10 minutes later I got an email from firearms licensing saying there was 15-16 week delay for all renewals but my paperwork had been "flagged to be soonest"

I actually don't mind the delays, well I do because I have a new rifle sitting in a local shop that I cant get, but i would like the department to be contactable. I know they have faced cutbacks, but i'll spend the 20 quid on a cheap answerphone if they want.

I haven't applied for mine yet, but also living in East Sussex. Not looking forward to waiting that long. I phone them about a query about safes, and they seemed like they didn't really care where I put it.

Seems to be the same with every force. I applied for a renewal with Staffordshire and it took over 18 weeks before I had the visit; the certificate was issued a week after that. Cut backs was the main reason given but they did say that because of the complaints theye are now back up to full strength.

The main problem is buying cartridges while you are waiting.

Applied for a new certificate for my lad two weeks ago so will see how long that takes!!

DT

I'm with West Mercia. When I renewed this year I was told that renewals were being granted automatically provided that there was no change of address necessitating a site visit and also presumably assuming no criminal convictions since the last application.

I applied for my shotgun certificate on 18 April and have been chasing them since the end of July to see what is happening.

I was first told it was being held back as someone was returning from maternity leave and was being given "grants" to do to break them back in gently.

Since then, I have been told it has been pulled out of the pile and passed to the Licencing Officer but it has been with her for three weeks now and she is on holiday this week.

Their website states that it is taking approximately sixteen weeks for applications to be dealt with but mine has taken 24 weeks so far.

I have now been told they are still issuing certificates that were applied for in March at the moment.

Is anyone else still waiting for their certificate? It just seems unbelievable that it takes so long to deal with something.
Hi Lesley!

I applied for my SG certificate from Hampshire police last July. I'm on the Isle of Wight so I expected it to take longer than on the mainland but only finally received the certificate in December. I'm hopeing they pull their fingers out by the time i need a renewal and I've been advised by other shooters that if there is any chance I need a European certificate to apply now! Have you had your inspection yet?

Kath

I had my inspection in July and the FEO advised that it may take up to four weeks after that date for my licence; little did he know it would be more like four months!

Hubby applied for his licence last September and received it at the end of December so at least when it comes to renewals we will have a year gap between our licences to give them time to deal with the renewal for his.

Well, after phoning nearly every day for the past two weeks, and hubby finally pleading that he was hoping to take me somewhere for my 50th birthday tomorrow where I needed a licence, it finally arrived today. :) Six months in total from application to it arriving.

I hope others have a better service than that.

I feel for you Lesley, that is disgraceful in my opinion. You should be able to expect a better service than that.

I applied for my first licence with Northumbria Police recently it took 7 weeks and 2 days from posting my application to recieving my licence and here's me thinking that was bad!

Latest posts

Back