Any other Airgunners out there?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tron

In between stock fittings and modifications for my customers, I dedicate a little time to my hobby of Air gunning.  I make 2 or 3 custom rifles for myself every year and I enjoy hunting with these guns far more so than my rim fires. 

My latest:  I started off with a decent piece of walnut and fixed a piece of ebony on the forearm end and the grip cap.  The gun is a Benjamin Discovery in .177, which I did a trigger job and added another barrel band to increase accuracy.

photo (132).JPG

Next, after custom fitting my stock to my dimensions, I finished with 6 coats of DuPont Poly.

photo 2 (7).JPG

Yesterday, at the bench.  30 yard groups in a dime.

photo 3 (2).JPG

photo (64).JPG

http://www.tronspace.com/Pages/default.aspx

Attachments

• photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    144 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Used to have an FAC Theoben Rapid 12 with a thumbhole stock for rabbits but I bought a  Brno Silhouette  .22LR and bipod and once I used that never shot the air rifle again. The FAC air gun was good but the Brno was deadly out 70m and you never got a runner.

lovely that mate. What ft/lbs is the Benjamin?

I have had air rifles and pistols since I was ten. Hunted with em and done some FT in fact I did have a FT range in my back field for a few years. Spent hours on a summer evening zeroing scopes and general fiddling. Currently got....

BSA lightning carbine with appollo 3-9-30

Air arms classic 400 walnut stock and polished alloy mounts and muzzle break with Hawke MAP 3-9-40

Relum Taurus circa 1970 ish with a tactical scope cant remember make or size. Had the gun for fourty years.

Beretta CO2 semi auto pistol silver with walnut grips.

you just made me want to get em out my cabinet for a play.

That one's around 17 ft/lbs or so.  The .22 Disovery that I have (maple stock) is around 25.

photo (86).JPG

photo (66).JPG

The Marauder is also an incredible gun.  I have killed red squirrels at over 72 yard, not a problem.

DSCN1203.JPG

DSCN1204.JPG

And if you like pumpers (which I do), here are a couple of great ones.

Worlds slickest Crosman 760:

photo (30).JPG

photo (27).JPG

Crosman 1400, with factory scope and mounts (1972' vintage).

photo (75).JPG

Out of interest did the second band make any real difference to the accuracy ? I always like to see the barrel held at both ends but many believe a fully free floating barrel to be superior for accuracy. 

Actually, it made a big difference.  Yeah, I hear that full float crap all of the time and I guess it depends on several factors.  I have a friend who is a world champion 1000 yard match shooter that has me bed his entire barrel and action....he does just fine like that. 

As mentioned I actually prefer to see the barrel held at the muzzle end as well, my S510 FAC is of course as are the HW100's which I have owned and they're not short on accuracy. The Theoben Rapid is one of those rifles I've never fancied owning because I just can't think of moving with it through the woods lest the open end of the barrel/receiver let twigs get trapped in between, then again that too is extremely accurate ! 

Whereabouts are you?
Don't panic Les. He comes from the land that gave us the Grey Squirrel.

Pity he can't send a few Reds over here and we could send a few Greys back!  :wink:

I'm in Michigan.  Last year I killed 47 squirrels and over 140 chipmunks.  Almost all headshots with air rifles. 

This is a Red.  I hate Reds.

photo 1 (4).JPG

Reds are very aggressive and no good to eat.  The Fox, which is the largest of them is a good game squirrel, but grays will do.  

I get request for greys that are in the black phase.  Fly fishermen want the tails for their fly tying.

Back