Another price increase

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i get my lead for free thats the biggest cost buy cbs5 in bulk also primers and wads
Free lead shot, or do you pour your own shot from ingots or so? Either way congrats on free components, but its not really an apt comparison with buying either whole cartridges or all of the components. 

I am restricted to steel shot only and would find it hard to get below the cost of factory cartridges price wise, and that’s not accounting for the gear and my time. I’m still tempted, but more because it’s nice to be able to.    

What would be the initial outlay be, say, from nothing to 25 cartridges?

In theory, home loading your own cartridges promises a huge cost saving on buying from retailers.

In practice, you have to spend a large amount to kit yourself out just to start, then you have to source all the components, then spend hours actually making them, that’s assuming you get it right first time, and the first batch you make doesn’t end up misshapen or you got the mix wrong.

Another issue is whether homeloads are actually allowed to be used in registered competition, certainly not in FITASC, CPSA registered shoots, so that leaves you using them for rough shooting or at “straw balers “

I know it’s an unpalatable truth that the cost of cartridges appears to be on an ever upward spiral, but at least we have a choice of what we use and where we buy them from.

In theory, home loading your own cartridges promises a huge cost saving on buying from retailers.

In practice, you have to spend a large amount to kit yourself out just to start, then you have to source all the components, then spend hours actually making them, that’s assuming you get it right first time, and the first batch you make doesn’t end up misshapen or you got the mix wrong.

Another issue is whether homeloads are actually allowed to be used in registered competition, certainly not in FITASC, CPSA registered shoots, so that leaves you using them for rough shooting or at “straw balers “

I know it’s an unpalatable truth that the cost of cartridges appears to be on an ever upward spiral, but at least we have a choice of what we use and where we buy them from.
And that is the reason I’ve never bothered home loading. Buy what you can afford and spend your time shooting. Well said and put. That is unless you get free lead of course  👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
Even so, unless you have that 1970s potting shed mentality where you have hours free where you want to get away from the wife/husband, the sheer man hours spent doing it would surely be huge compared to paying someone else 20-30p for each one produced? 

i can make 175 to 200 on my mec grabber 22 grains cbs5 26 grams lead i listen to a audio book so its muscle memory better than watching telly

i can make 175 to 200 on my mec grabber 22 grains cbs5 26 grams lead i listen to a audio book so its muscle memory better than watching telly
Good for you, but I and no doubt many others have better things to do 

May 2020 I bought 10000 Pro Ones for £250/1000, ordered another 10000 as was almost out.

Picked them up yesterday at £265/1000, increase of £15/1000 but in reality it's nothing in relation to what I spend as a whole on shooting.

I know the FITASC & CPSA rules don’t allow homeload cartridges but how would they know?   I’ve never heard of any one having their shells checked at a shoot to make sure they aren’t home loads 

I know the FITASC & CPSA rules don’t allow homeload cartridges but how would they know?   I’ve never heard of any one having their shells checked at a shoot to make sure they aren’t home loads 
I’ve been at fibre only shoots where the use of plaswads gets noticed and stopped straight away, oft by other shots narked at the perceived advantage, FITASC where some do glance overly long into the bins at spent shells to see the loads but a ref check carts? no me neither mind you I do feel that if someone rocks up at a reg with his “own brand” of carts it would be instantly discouraged.

I’ve been at fibre only shoots where the use of plaswads gets noticed and stopped straight away, oft by other shots narked at the perceived advantage, FITASC where some do glance overly long into the bins at spent shells to see the loads but a ref check carts? no me neither mind you I do feel that if someone rocks up at a reg with his “own brand” of carts it would be instantly discouraged.
But most home loaded cartridges are in a branded case, so pick one up and it says Eley or Gamebore on the outside but inside it’s a home load would you be able to tell the difference? Not sure I could 

But most home loaded cartridges are in a branded case, so pick one up and it says Eley or Gamebore on the outside but inside it’s a home load would you be able to tell the difference? Not sure I could 
From the homeloads I've ever seen, believe me they are not difficult to spot. 

From the homeloads I've ever seen, believe me they are not difficult to spot. 
Well there’s a couple of guys that shoot in one of the clubs local to me and I assure you that their home loads are  totally indistinguishable from commercial loads. It’s only the fact that they pocket their empties rather than bin them that makes you realise they are home loading cartridges 

Showing my age ,once again .

Muntaz Al Jafray (founder and owner of Express)

Geoff Dales  (founder and owner of Gamebore )

And also the owner of Kent Cartirdges ( the brand George used for multiple World wins ) were ALL home loaders who turned a hobby into a business .

Don't knock home loads , some are exceptionally good .

I load Black powder cartridges for my Game shooting and steel and heavy loads for my wildfowling.

A local gun club (South West) has just this very evening put out a message on FB of a price increase from it’s cartridge supplier Gamebore, no % nor £ mentioned I’m afraid. 

Latest posts

Back