All Choked Up ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, my Ronnie shot 100 skeet for the first time sunday at Dartford, (shot with a really nice squad of shooters) used a pair of U2's and done prety well for his first outing. Shot registered sporting at Greenfields on Sunday with the same pair of U2's and won "B" class. It seems like For him they are a choke for everything. And that gives him condidence... Only with FITASC does he use a U3 in the top for the trap type targets.

Hi, my Ronnie shot 100 skeet for the first time sunday at Dartford, (shot with a really nice squad of shooters) used a pair of U2's and done prety well for his first outing. Shot registered sporting at Greenfields on Sunday with the same pair of U2's and won "B" class. It seems like For him they are a choke for everything. And that gives him condidence... Only with FITASC does he use a U3 in the top for the trap type targets.
He did very well, was a tough shoot at Greenfields.  I very nearly spoke to you in the shop, but by the time I sussed who you and Ronnie were...you had gone!  (Ronnie was by the door with possibly a trolley?)

If he feels confident using U2's for Skeet, then carry on, but it is over kill and a pair of U1's will give him that edge, that you really need in Skeet, to get into the shoot-off's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeet UK, thanks for the kind words, I'll tell ronnie in the morning. Even the AAA shots said it was a hard course.

That's a shame, it was him alright. would have been good to meet so say hello next time. With the Skeet, we figure it will help him to better and understand his timing generally and point taken on the U1's if he gets into it.

Kind regards,

John

First of all I would like to say that I personally have not tried Mullers so any of my comments can only be my personal observations.

There is no doubt at all that they have been very well received.

In America one of the most common comments is that Mullers are so easy to clean, now that seems to me to be a very expensive way to save a little elbow grease and care and attention to my beloved gun. So I ignore that.

Then the most raved about feature is how brilliantly they pattern, well I will take that with a pinch of salt as well.

Apparently Jim Muller manufactures his chokes with dimensions that are invariably a couple of thou tighter than the conventional or the choke that it is being compared with. So please be aware that you are not testing like for like.

If you check out Muller Chokes on www,shotgunworld.com and do a search you will find page after page of discussion, all very good, in fact there is talk of the ' Muller Mafia' they are so popular. BUT they have had their issues so don't look at them through rose tinted glasses.

So what I am saying is that although the Mullers are good they are not a cure for lack of ability in other areas.

Apparently Jim Muller manufactures his chokes with dimensions that are invariably a couple of thou tighter than the conventional or the choke that it is being compared with. So please be aware that you are not testing like for like.
Actually Salopian I think it's the other way round if anything.

Actually Salopian I think it's the other way round if anything.
No mate Salopian is right. They are not cylinder, mod etc, but his "most open choke" has 2 thou of constriction, where a cylinder choke has none. The reason for this is, he found that with just that little bit of constriction, the pattern more to his liking, than without.

A U2 is like a quarter choke, which should then be about 10 thou, but it is 12 thou. 

If Hamster or Aspire want to know more about them, click the link in my sig because I reviewed them on here.  Also notice the other bit under that link ;)

RE: Patterns.  I did pattern my U1 chokes when I got them, to use for Skeet.  I do not have these patterns available as I did not know I might need them! 

Anyway.  I compared them to my extended Briley SKT chokes, from about 16 yards to 25 yards.  U1's are designed to be "optimal" at 25 yards, so the closer patterns were obviously tighter, but throughout..only the first couple of patterns had "hotter" centres at about 16 and 18 yards, and the rest of the pattern was fairly even, out to the edges.  This is what continued to happen up to the 25 yard patterns, very even around the edges with no "hot" centre"  This was with steel 9's which is what I use for skeet.

Pattern plates can only tell you so much though.  The best way to see how your gun shoots a string, is to shoot a simple away target.

With the Muller chokes, the patterns are good yes...but it is this along with the other benefits, that makes them so different form other chokes, and no other choke can offer all of these things.

Thanks for the replies. I agree the ease of cleaning is of no real interest to me,neither is the fact they don't work lose. I have done some Internet searches for pictures of pattern plates with mullers,and to be honest to me they looked pretty poor! That's why I wondered if anyone here had made the comparison side by side,or if they'd just bought into the hype. I'm not thinking of buying any,but just in the interest of conversation.

How can shooting a going away target tell you about your string?

90% of the pattern quality is down to the cartridge. Be careful not to isolate chokes as the whole story. They are just a little thing on the end of a big gun and cannot override what the shell basically wants to do. I doubt there is much magic to be had with any choke, pattern wise..

90% of the pattern quality is down to the cartridge. Be careful not to isolate chokes as the whole story. They are just a little thing on the end of a big gun and cannot override what the shell basically wants to do. I doubt there is much magic to be had with any choke, pattern wise..
Here we have the correct answer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now pick any prize from the Top shelf.

Any feedback on them Emmsy? In comparison to Teague/Briley?
i posted this in another thread....

patterned side by side in a krieghoff K80, Muller U2 and Krieghoff #1 steel choke = no real difference, if anything krieghoff pattern was more uniform.

muller tube is approx 2 inches longer and is lighter than the krieghoff, which is 2 things of absolute no use to me.

the threading / fitment is of higher quality with the krieghoff chokes with less of a step between choke and bore, and less slop in the threading.

so unless you want a weight advantage then there is no other reason to pick the mullers over anything else.

I have two Muller chokes,a U2 and a U3.

The U2 is allegedly,according to Muller, equivalent to a combination of 1/4 and 3/8 choke and is nominally 12thou of choke.

The U3 is allegedly,according to Muller, equivalent to a combination of 1/2 and 3/4 choke and is nominally 22thou of choke.

In my gun the U2 is exactly 10thou or 1/4 choke and the U3 is exactly 20thou or 1/2 choke.

Obviously the barrel on different guns of the same model will differ because of manufacturing tolerances.

Before I bought the Mullers I used a Beretta,flush fitting,1/2 choke and shot reasonably well with it.

When using the Muller U2 I break targets better than when using my old 1/2 choke and for me the U2 is better than the U3.

It does not work loose in use and is extremely easy to clean.

Vic.

I've tried them all but I stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill haven't found what I'm looking for.

You know I can't understand why there isn't a shell or choke even, called Desiiiiiiiiiire.

Latest posts

Back