Advice taken!!.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iantay16

Just back from crabtrees shooting ground, put the advice I received from you good people into practice, first 25 was hard going keeping concentration on the clays but the heavy rain didn't help either, had a walk round and watched other shooters for a while then did another 50 clays, was really pleased with my results still heavy rain and I managed to hit 32, I know this is not a lot to shout about but for me and it being only my 4th outing on my own using the delay I really was chuffed, thanks again to all that gave me the advice, Ian.

I started just about four years back. I had no idea really about the dynamics of shooting. I found this site and asked questions and with the answers I got and also some research of  youtube trapshooting video's  I gradually formed a technique which I am now trying to add the extra target to. I think if you concentrate on seeing the target and keeping your head on the stock you will progress. I can honestly say that the advice I got from trap shooters on here was absolutely invaluable for my progress. The only advice I would like to give is, if you are trap shooter like me, don't be fooled into thinking that the only way to break the target is by shooting quickly. It is far more important to see the target properly and then move your gun to shoot it... moving your gun before you have properly seen the target is a recipe for a miss in my opinion just see it then shoot it.

I started just about four years back. I had no idea really about the dynamics of shooting. I found this site and asked questions and with the answers I got and also some research of  youtube trapshooting video's  I gradually formed a technique which I am now trying to add the extra target to. I think if you concentrate on seeing the target and keeping your head on the stock you will progress. I can honestly say that the advice I got from trap shooters on here was absolutely invaluable for my progress. The only advice I would like to give is, if you are trap shooter like me, don't be fooled into thinking that the only way to break the target is by shooting quickly. It is far more important to see the target properly and then move your gun to shoot it... moving your gun before you have properly seen the target is a recipe for a miss in my opinion just see it then shoot it.
That brings back memories of many years ago, when I was shooting DTL Comps. I had hit a bit of a bad patch and was, on average, only hitting 22/23's ex 25.  I had a pleasant day out to a well known Coach who had his own ground in the Derbyshire area.  After shooting at 6 or 7 DTL targets he informed me that I was moving the gun before the clay arrived in view. I doubted what he had said and informed him that I did not think that I was.  "OK, shoot a few more then" was his response. After about 3 targets, I had resumed my rhythm and called for the next one, I called "Pull" and nothing appeared BUT, there were my gun barrels moving in an upward direction  !    Game, set and match  !  A lesson learned and NEVER forgotten.   

um, with respect this don't move your barells before target appears may be good advice for most BUT I know a few top trap shooters who move and I also shoot better trap when I am moving. 40up once observed that I sort of do a little circular movement (very small not big movement) as I call. I certainly shoot better trap if I call as I finish the mount, no dwell. Furthermore and again with respect esp and game is shot with a moving barrell before the mount if shot gun down ?

um, with respect this don't move your barells before target appears may be good advice for most BUT I know a few top trap shooters who move and I also shoot better trap when I am moving. 40up once observed that I sort of do a little circular movement (very small not big movement) as I call. I certainly shoot better trap if I call as I finish the mount, no dwell. Furthermore and again with respect esp and game is shot with a moving barrell before the mount if shot gun down ?
Yes, ESP and Game are shot with a moving gun which is pointed AT (behind or in front, whichever method)  the target as the gun is being mounted, but what are you moving the gun with or at, before the target appears, in Trap ?

I have no doubt that there are some who shoot this method but I yet to hear any trap shooting coach advise the moving of barrels prior to registering the target. The raising of the barrels in a very slow vertical, a la Alipov, motion is though somewhat different to moving the gun upon seeing a flash of orange. In my, limited admittedly, experience and from watching others who have as we say down here " partir avec" one tends to miss behind and above because instead of accelerating the gun to swing through there is a tendency to slow the gun as you approach the target and instead of moving through you simply match the speed of the target... JMO though.

Thanks for that, it's exactly what I tried to concentrate on today and as I said earlier I was really pleased with the results, practice makes perfect so I'll get to the shooting grounds as often as I can.

I have no doubt that there are some who shoot this method but I yet to hear any trap shooting coach advise the moving of barrels prior to registering the target. The raising of the barrels in a very slow vertical, a la Alipov, motion is though somewhat different to moving the gun upon seeing a flash of orange. In my, limited admittedly, experience and from watching others who have as we say down here " partir avec" one tends to miss behind and above because instead of accelerating the gun to swing through there is a tendency to slow the gun as you approach the target and instead of moving through you simply match the speed of the target... JMO though.
as I say its certainly the best method for most.

I am an impatient kind of bloke I like to be doing stuff I don't like waiting. For me a slight movement of the barrells ensures a smooth start to the swing rather than an erratic swipe. Its a bit like instead of a standing 1/4 mile drag were you go from stopped to a sudden start, you cruise up to the start line ever so slowly already in gear then the green light appears and you floor it. If that makes sence.

the other option that john refers to is a "stopped mount" were there is a dip or a raise of the barrell before or during the call but the gun has stopped before the bird is seen.

its a case of one method does not suit all in fact some methods work for some even though they are on paper totally wrong, Alberto Fernandez being prime example.

As mentioned here in the past, the USSR Russians had a moving gun technique at OT which some of them may still use FWIW.

Properly thought out and practiced I cannot see that a moving gun at trap would be problematic at all.  But doing it w/out a plan might be less satisfying.

apparently alipov's father used to start the gun very low then raise barrel very slowly until the "usual hold point" was met then call for target with gun still moving. I unknowingly used to use the same method to good effect at DTL in fact using that method I got into a shoot off for A class at English open 1999 ish, losing shoot off to a worthy winner a Mr Brown by half a bird after 3 x 25 shoot off ? I always remember one thing about that day and that is that the first person (after Mr Brown) to shake my hand and congratulate me for a jolly exciting shoot off was his best friend. I thought that was a really nice gesture .

sorry I digressed ?

Latest posts

Back