A400 Xcel

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the adjustable comb - did the spacer/shim combination on the gun not adjust suffiently well for your required comb height?
No it did not adjust for me anywhere near enough. All I could see was the back of the action no sight of bead at all. Tried one before I bought it with a 6mm gel comb raiser and that still wasn't enough.

I imported a 391 32" parallel target from the States, it's a brilliant gun and the trigger pulls are fine. Several of my friends shoot the A400 and get on really well with them so good to see the parallel target set up available over here now.

As previously stated the trigger pulls do seem to vary a lot, one friends gun was very heavy at about 7lbs and the others at about 4lbs.

Just a quick update on my new gun

Shot 24grm evos fibre 65mm case the weekend and it didn't like them at all!! I then tried Fiocchi top 1 24grm fibre 67mm and it didn't like those either!! Ended up shooting olympic blue 28gm fibre with no problems

I think it was the short case that it didnt like.

Still getting on ok with the gun tho, glad I made the move to an auto. Shoulder feels better for the change.

Just a tip for those that want a better trigger on the 300 series auto. After cleaning the trigger unit, pull the trigger to release the hammer, this will expose the 'bent' that the trigger sear drops into. Use a lead pencil (it helps if you have some lead in your pencil for this) and rub the graphite (lead) tip on the bent. I then cock and fire the mechanism a few times after . There is then sufficient graphite on the bent and sear to allow a smooth trigger release without any oil or grease to gum up the works. The triggers on my 303  and 391 are a lot smoother after this treatment.

I am now using my Beretta 303 auto, having blown the dust off. The auto is 1lbs lighter and easier on the recoil, but I am still struggling to do more than 50 without a break. I have tried various cartridges with the exception of Eley. I found the Fiocchi dirty, but they did function OK if I took them to bed the night before using them. I have settled on the Hull, they are clean, work well and operate the gun,  OH and I do not have to sleep with them. I have been using my favoured I/C Briley choke in the 28" barrel and am still shooting 75% plus. I am now considering selling the O/U and sticking with the auto.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am now using my Beretta 303 auto, having blown the dust off. The auto is 1lbs lighter and easier on the recoil, but I am still struggling to do more than 50 without a break. I have tried various cartridges with the exception of Eley. I found the Fiocchi dirty, but they did function OK if I took them to bed the night before using them. I have settled on the Hull, they are clean, work well and operate the gun,  OH and I do not have to sleep with them. I have been using my favoured I/C Briley choke in the 28" barrel and am still shooting 75% plus. I am now considering selling the O/U and sticking with the auto.
Hi WestleyI have similar situation to your self.I purchased an a 400xcl a few years ago now,and have been shooting 24g evos through it with no problems at all,and may be even shooting better than with the ou!

I would some times take my big heavy pretty ou out for a shoot, only to wish I had taken the semi instead

Think the big one may have to go

Yep, certainly the way to go. ................Just do NOT take up Trap shooting though !       :spiteful:

Just thought I'd give you all a little update on how the A400 Xcel is going .

I've been shooting with it now since February this year and I can say I'm really pleased with it. It's still cycling the evo 24grm without fault. 

Have shot my PB in our county English skeet championship a couple of weeks ago to win the ladies and 3rd overall and also shot a PB yesterday at Longridge 100 English sporting registered ( even beating my AA class hubby by 1 clay )  However it was apparently a " steady shoot " !!!!! 

Still chuffed to bits with the way my shooting is going at the moment with the new gun 

Back