A weighted question!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilS

Guys (and gals!)

Your opinions and expertise please.

I have just balanced my MK so that it balanced on the hinge pin by adding weights to the top of the stock using the narrow back of a chair as a fulcrum.  Once balanced I weighed the lead used and it was 10oz!!

So, firstly is this excessive?? I was expecting 4 maybe 5oz.

Secondly how best to do this?  The weights I used are wider than than the stock bolt hole but I could melt them down and make an ingot or two.  This also leaves a possible dilemma of the available depth in the bolt hole not being sufficient.

Your thoughts and opinions folks please......

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys (and gals!)

Your opinions and expertise please.

I have just balanced my MK so that it balanced on the hinge pin by adding weights to the top of the stock using the narrow back of a chair as a fulcrum.  Once balanced I weighed the lead used and it was 10oz!!

So, firstly is this excessive?? I was expecting 4 maybe 5oz.

Secondly how best to do this?  The weights I used are wider than than the stock bolt hole but I could melt them down and make an ingot or two.  This also leaves a possible dilemma of the available depth in the bolt hole not being sufficient.

Your thoughts and opinions folks please......
Not excessive so long as the gun still feels lively enough, which it will since it must have been fairly nose heavy beforehand like a great many in my experience. 

I would personally just get 2 x 5oz lead sea fishing weights and drill two holes above and below the stock hole.

We have a fishing tackle shop in town, I think I'll go and have a look tomorrow.

Thanks Hammy.

In both of my Brownings I have put 28-30 grams of lead, cast into a piece of 22mm copper which fits snuggly into the the bolt hole with a thin piece of foaminto the stock bolt hole, this alters the handling of the guns, i.e. it now does not feel front heavy when mounting and shooting the gun, the lead is positioned right at the buttplate.

I have tried heavier weights however for me this made the gun stock heavy and very hard to drive and change direction for the 2nd bird. I have no idea where it both balance in relationship to the hinge pin it, for me, is about how it feels when mounting and shooting the guns.

I have 2 x 525's and I have put 4-6oz in the butt in both of them to get them near the hinge put, and they have the lightened ventilated barrels. So it is very possible that the MK will maybe want nearly 10oz. They do hand better closer to the pin, but I do also like them slightly muzzle heavy, good consistent swing!

I did similar with my Browning 525, but used lead balancing strips for go-cart wheels stuck to the inside of the recoil pad. Very effective, doesn't rattle about and can be bought cheap off eBay.

Well, I have just used Andys idea and filled some 22mm copper pipe with lead shot.  I capped each end with the brass from a spent cartridge.

The whole unit weighed 6.4oz and slid nicely into the bolt hole.  This was then capped with foam between the top of the tube and the base of the ISIS to stop any movement.

It seems to have made a difference but I will only really be able to tell when shooting.  If it needs more then I can add using fishing weights and let them into the inside of the stock - there are a couple of holes there now so maybe the previous owner had a similar idea?

Thanks for your suggestions guys and I'll let you know how it goes.

See a plumber, get 1/2" lead pipe as in old cisterns, cut it too suit, push it up your stock it will fit the hole

stck bolt will fit through it.

Balance right on the pin would be to far back for me, but maybe the way you like it, I'd just add shoot the gun with the extra weight and see before you drill and melt the lead what feels right at home might not feel as good on the course, might just be me but I like guns to be a little nose heavy

I joined a couple of spent 28 gm cartridge cases together and filled them with lead shot. I then put this in a freezer bag and it fit snugly into the stock bolt hole. Balanced bang on the hinge pin.

Latest posts

Back