A question for Ed Lyons

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeet UK

Mr Lyons; my wife was told during work related eyesight test, that she

"can't tell if something is, nearer or further away" and had something that to do with "raised letters" on a chart.

The cheeky cow doing the test, asked if she "hit many kerbs".

Mrs Skeet, wondered if this could affect her ability to shoot clays, should she ever try.

What test was this, what does it determine and would it be an issue??

Cheers!

Great question!

It sounds as though she had a "stereopsis test" to check how well her eyes are working together, thus gauging her binocular vision.

This can be a developmental thing from childhood where one eye can be suppressed or "lazy" or later onset due to inefficient eye muscles.

I assessed a girl from the GB basketball team a couple of years ago who, when she was tired, regularly misjudged the distance from the free throw area to the hoop. Whilst she could "see" really well, she had to put so much focal effort into "seeing" that her eyes turned in too much (over convergence) and this she couldn't accurately perceive depth at that time.

She also had an issue with kerbs when driving at night as she often misjudged corners!

If the binocular vision issue is down to one eye being suppressed from a young age, we develop "monocular cues", i.e., the eye and brain work together to produce a form of depth perception as a coping strategy. As we go through our daily lives, we build up muscle memory and spatial awareness using this different, mono, input.

As we know, taking it to the extreme, it doesn't affect Dave Carrie who is a formidable shot with just the one eye working!

It can cause an issue though if it is intermittent, as the brain can get confused by the different visual information it is presented with.

If its roots are muscular, there are vision training exercises that can be implemented.

I hope that helps!

No he isn't !

He's just doing his job, which I paid for his training to learn .

Keep the questions coming, I love to see him work.

Must try and find something for Gutteridge and Solomons to do!

Thanks Sloppy, you're too generous! Christmas has come early, I'll claim my 35grand loan back seeing as it's been paid twice ;)

Apparently, I am already good at shooting off my Trap.

Ed, you've probably spent £35K at The Bentlands?

All joking apart , Mr. Lyons is very good at his job.

Latest posts

Back